Does anyone keep their tie knotted ??

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chaimb, Jun 24, 2007.

1. chaimb

chaimb Member

Hi guys,

Perhaps this question will raise some eyebrows, but here goes:

When I have knotted a tie and the knot has come out just as I wished, I will not unknot it when I take it off to hang in the closet, but rather I will leave it knoted. True, eventually the knot will lose some of its shape from constant use, and then I will unknot it and reknot it.

I imagine that this isn't the best way to care for a tie, but between you me and the lampost who cares! I know that the section of the tie which will due to being in a knotted position a long time (usually several weeks at least) become somewhat wrinkled, BUT that section will just be reknotted and in my experience (some 40+ years) the wrinkle can easily be straightened out by hand prior to reknotting without hindering or deteriorating from the shape of the new knot.

Cheers,

Chaim

[​IMG]

2. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

wow. if you are hoping for some people here to come forward and tell you how cool your idea is, good luck.[​IMG]

3. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

i do this as well. but hey, i'm just a college student with 2-3 ties and i rarely wear them. plus, at my age, no one really cares (or knows how to tie a tie for that matter)[​IMG]

4. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I dont think any one who posts here regularly is going to agree with you. It takes a couple minutes to knot a tie. Its not that hard....

5. Jazz

Jazz Well-Known Member

mmm... hate to be the one that says this, but... doesn't tying your own tie take something like 2 minutes? Plus, do you always use the same knot? I guess what I am trying to say is this, if you don't want to take that extra step when it comes to your appearance, then you probably are on the wrong forum. That being said, I am a Uni student :p

Good luck none-the-less,

(or as my lawyer freind says: "Govern yourselves accordingly."

6. chaimb

chaimb Member

Hi,

On the contrary! I do care about my appearance, and yes I do use only a pratt knot, and I only do this when I have gotten an exceptionally nice looking knot (IMO) and only until the knot still appears to be exceptionsl. The moment I feel the knot has lost its superior appearance due to loosening/tighting I will immediately unknot/reknot it.

Cheers,

Chaim

[​IMG]

7. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

i feel lik the knot starts to lose its appearance as soon as i loosen the tie

8. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I did this for a while when I was a student, but it was out of sheer laziness and you could see that the ties would wear out and gather stains at certain points that pretty much spell the end of the tie. Tying a good knot should be part of your daily ritual, like having a good shave, or brushing your teeth well.

9. william

william Senior member

Learn how to consistently tie your tie the way you want it. Like anything else it takes practice.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'm reminded of Brad Pitt's character in the film, Se7en, where he chooses a "pre-knotted" tie from some cheap hanger.

11. Sander

Sander Senior member

I'm reminded of Brad Pitt's character in the film, Se7en, where he chooses a "pre-knotted" tie from some cheap hanger.

What? He does that there? And I thought about watching that movie... somehow now I lost all interest in it.

12. G79

G79 Senior member

it takes but a few mins to tie a tie. Would u risk spoiling ur tie out of sheer laziness ?

13. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

He's also living in an apartment under a subway overpass and is sleeping next to neither Angelina nor Jen but Gwynth Paltrow. It really was his lowest point.

14. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

I generally wear a tie to work even though my employer has a "Business Casual" policy in place. I un-knot my ties when I arrive home after work and, on occasion, will lightly steam-out the wrinkles left as a result of the knot before I hang up them up. It seems to me that leaving a silk tie knotted would eventually cause damage to the material.

15. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

He's also living in an apartment under a subway overpass and is sleeping next to neither Angelina nor Jen but Gwynth Paltrow. It really was his lowest point.

Brilliant![​IMG]