• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

does anyone here play MMORPGs?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Now that's funny.

I learned the ropes on darktide (Asheron's Call), which any hardcore pvper with any basis for comparison will tell you was THE best pvp server ever. It had all of the elements required from a game mechanics perspective until bugs and exploiting ruined it. Nothing in DAoC can compare and I'll tell you why.

DAoC doesn't have the game mechanics to make a truely good pvp game. You can't dodge spells or attacks the way you can dodge weapons fire in an fps. It doesn't have true projectiles. Instead, it's hit/miss is based on an abstract dodge/parry skill. Or, when a melee attacks you, he sticks to you and you can't get away. He's literally tethered to your ass. A highly skilled player can't take on multiple opponents of similiar level on his own. The game mechanics make it impossible. Lastly, there were no real consequence for losing. In AC on the other hand, people got beaten-down so hard they quit the game out of frustration, rerolled, or submitted and whored xp to their enemies.

DAoC's game mechanics were fundamentally based upon EQ, which was based upon dikumud. A random number generator combined with a comparison of your level and character skills vs. your opponents' determined whether you hit or miss. There were no reflexes or dexterity involved in the process.

FWIW, there were no ffa pvp servers with looting at release otherwise we would have been on them. Our guild did dominate our server though, the toughest server at release btw, until we quit all at once at the end of december. We quit because we had tired of ass-****** the server and there was no good competition. And you probably don't know this, but before DAoC released, all the top pvp guilds from other games agreed to play on the merlin server to settle old scores. I'm talking about feuds and vendettas developed over 10 years of online gaming (since the early 90s). So at release we all went to this one server. Our side "won", as much as you can win, when killing someone just means they have to pay a fee and run back to the fight.

We were the first to max out in levels, and the first to hit 1mil RP, which was double our closest, and much larger competitors, who also had a head start cause they knew where everything was from beta. We pushed our only real competition out of the best keeps and the best post-40 frontier leveling spots, even though they got there first, and we did it with inferior numbers, even though DAoC was all about zerging your opponent.

I'm not going to pinpoint exactly who i play with since google has a long memory and I don't want to mix the two identities, but go here if you want an idea of the type of gamer i was and the guys that I played with.

So blue server? No... I can pretty much guarantee that my small guild will be the top of the food chain when DF releases though. ;p

Ok so you never played real hardcore PVP server (Andred/Mordred) and you ran with a strongest guild with the most relics and pressed "I WIN" button the fastest. Then you blaming Zergs on ruining the game for you?
I just cannot figure why you never tried real PVP no rules server if you are such a hardcore PVPer?
boxing[1].gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What a bunch of nerds! Listen, I play video games against stupid computers and AI in a fixed and unalterable environment, with a minimum of controls. JUST LIKE GOD INTENDED!
Doom.png

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Ok so you never played real hardcore PVP server (Andred/Mordred) and you ran with a strongest guild with the most relics and pressed "I WIN" button the fastest. Then you blaming Zergs on ruining the game for you?
I just cannot figure why you never tried real PVP no rules server if you are such a hardcore PVPer?
boxing[1].gif

Huh? I'm trying to be nice here so I'll make it very simple since maybe english isn't your first language. Mordred/Andred weren't even live back then. The game wasn't even finished. Hell, we hit 35-50 so fast they didn't even have the high level content itemized for us yet. Mobs only dropped coin loot in the high level dungeons, not armor, weapons, or anything useful. We waited nearly a month after hitting those levels for them to itemize. The devs assumed they could launch the game and finish the high level dungeons before players made it in to them. They were wrong. That assumption carried over to other things as well.

I have no doubt there's more to do now, but back then the game was unfinished. For example, our first keep attempts were plagued by zone crashes. Same thing happened for relics. But by the end of december we had done basically everything there was to do in the game. Not our fault there was no content to keep us occupied. Or are we supposed to play these games indefinitely even after they become routine and stop being fun just to prove a point to naysayers?

Also, the zergs didn't ruin anything for us. It's just a general trend that I resent in mmorpgs. They've taken player skill completely out of the equation. Anyway, we knew the game would develop like that from the start and so 3 of the top old-school pvp guilds played under one tag. Even then we were vastly outnumbered but we demolished them in almost every fight, even though there were literally legions gunning for us since all our old enemies, of which there were MANY, knew where we were gonna play prior to release. They knew this b/c we announced it so that we didn't accidentally end up on the same team, unable to kill them. However, zerg tactics WERE a hallmark of DAoC pvp, as well as the first big PvE encounters from my understanding.

And FYI Darktide was more tough than anything in daoc ever was and there was actual skill involved. Anyone that's played both would tell you that. Mordred may have been open pvp, but the game mechanics were the same as the other servers.

One last time... I never tried mordred b/c i was long gone by then. I passed my time back in Asheron's call on Darktide, which was still a better game despite all the exploits and hacks that plagued it at this point in the game..

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
What a bunch of nerds!

Listen, I play video games against stupid computers and AI in a fixed and unalterable environment, with a minimum of controls.

JUST LIKE GOD INTENDED!

Doom.png

anime nerds are just so much better....
lookaround.gif

I have un-nerdified myself since 2002 but violent ass-**** is still my favorite sport!

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to play a MUD, text-based (hey, they had color ANSI characters though), back in the early '90's, called Thunderdome. I managed to avoid Evercrack and the rest. Now I just post here. Which is almost as good.
boxing[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Muds were cool.

Everquest had its problems but it was a pretty epic game that I doubt it will be replicated any time soon. Word has it that Vanguard isn't even close.

The pvp mechanics weren't the best but dying f*cking HURT since you lost XP and possibly levels as well when you died. I can remember bind camping one guy that fell asleep at his keyboard and he lost several levels. He was PISSED. Then there was the whole issue of corpse recovery.

EQ is actually lot of fun despite the grind. It has a sense of wonder and massive scale that hasn't been present in any other game. It's absolutely PACKED with content. Ya there are timesinks but it's a lot better than WoW where everything is handed to you in a nice and easy succession.

A lot of people complained about raiding and that it was boring but it wasn't when you were involved in running things and planning strats, etc. I helped lead my eq guild through several server-firsts and had a lot of fun doing it. Some eq mobs were a lot "smarter" than the fodder in daoc.

raley

Reaction score
EQ is actually lot of fun despite the grind. It has a sense of wonder and massive scale that hasn't been present in any other game. It's absolutely PACKED with content. Ya there are timesinks but it's a lot better than WoW where everything is handed to you in a nice and easy succession.

That's called nostalgia, and no it wasn't fun. What server did you play on?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh? I'm trying to be nice here so I'll make it very simple since maybe english isn't your first language. Mordred/Andred weren't even live back then. The game wasn't even finished. Hell, we hit 35-50 so fast they didn't even have the high level content itemized for us yet. Mobs only dropped coin loot in the high level dungeons, not armor, weapons, or anything useful. We waited nearly a month after hitting those levels for them to itemize. The devs assumed they could launch the game and finish the high level dungeons before players made it in to them. They were wrong. That assumption carried over to other things as well.

I have no doubt there's more to do now, but back then the game was unfinished. For example, our first keep attempts were plagued by zone crashes. Same thing happened for relics. But by the end of december we had done basically everything there was to do in the game. Not our fault there was no content to keep us occupied. Or are we supposed to play these games indefinitely even after they become routine and stop being fun just to prove a point to naysayers?

Also, the zergs didn't ruin anything for us. It's just a general trend that I resent in mmorpgs. They've taken player skill completely out of the equation. Anyway, we knew the game would develop like that from the start and so 3 of the top old-school pvp guilds played under one tag. Even then we were vastly outnumbered but we demolished them in almost every fight, even though there were literally legions gunning for us since all our old enemies, of which there were MANY, knew where we were gonna play prior to release. They knew this b/c we announced it so that we didn't accidentally end up on the same team, unable to kill them. However, zerg tactics WERE a hallmark of DAoC pvp, as well as the first big PvE encounters from my understanding.

And FYI Darktide was more tough than anything in daoc ever was and there was actual skill involved. Anyone that's played both would tell you that. Mordred may have been open pvp, but the game mechanics were the same as the other servers.

One last time... I never tried mordred b/c i was long gone by then. I passed my time back in Asheron's call on Darktide, which was still a better game despite all the exploits and hacks that plagued it at this point in the game..

Ok I got it now. You have not even tried open, no rules PVP in DAOC because it is not as good as AC. Otherwise you and your guild would have dominated PVP servers just like you dominated those other servers you never played.
I wish you would give this answer right away.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
just like you dominated those other servers you never played.

So now I'm inventing all of this? If you really want, you can come play df at release and see for yourself how it feels to be violated along with the rest of whatever server we decide to play on. I say this with complete confidence b/c every mmo I/we've gone in to we've been at the top while we played. The beat-down will be even harsher in DF since half our crew are worldclass FPSers and DF utilizes some twitch skill.

You've played, what, 1 pvp game? Like I said if you had any basis for comparison you wouldn't be making statements about how great the pvp in daoc is. Anyone that's played all of the big MMOs will tell you that AC:darktide had the best pvp, hands down.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's low-blow, red :p

For the record, I don't role-play. I play mainly for the pvp action. And I never played pen&paper. Believe it or not, I was actually quite normal growing up! I didn't wear glasses. I'm not fat. I have social skills.

To quote genghis khan, the allure of these games is the following:
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters."

Now in a virtual world i can ignore the the wives and daugters part since they're just as likely to be men, but you get my drift. ;p

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
That's called nostalgia, and no it wasn't fun. What server did you play on?

I disagree. I loved vanilla EQ. Even the treadmilling.

BTW I played Vanguard again yesterday and it's come a couple more miles. The system they have in place for buffing is unique and very cool. The game needs a lot more polish, but the systems that are in right now really are 3rd gen. (EQ, AC first, WoW second, next is third..)

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone play WoW? I'm screwing around until the expansion hits at which time I'm going to make a new blood elf main, so if someone wants to create a new character with me and run around assaulting basement dwellers then let us do this.

By the way: City of Heroes is the greatest MMO ever for the atmosphere alone.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever LARPed?

Me and my homies:
ReggsStandedt.jpg

PirateOWNEedt.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics