• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone here own a Passat?

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My parents drove one for years when I was growing up in France. Very comfortable and reliable, hardly ever was in the shop. I do remember it was a tad difficult, at times, to find parts, especially in remote areas of France (if there is such a thing).

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Are some VWs made elsewhere than Germany? If so, how can this be easily determined?

Thanks.

First letter or digit of a VIN number idnicates where car was assembled.
A lot of US-market VWs are made in Mexico.
I would advise, storngly against these cars for a family sedan due to their questionable reliability.
The best bet would be to look at Consumer Guide or JDPower books in you local library.

If you are looking for the best return on investment it would not be VW cars.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Condor
I got my wife last fall when we got married a
Passat sedan V6, fully loaded but not the 4WD version.
(2000 model, 79k miles)
Heated leather seats that are as hot as heating pads, nice
radio, electronic temperature control, etc etc. I put XM
radio in it for her.

She loves it. I like it myself, it is a bit large for me to drive.
It has that good german car touring and firm feel but
its not overly firm like she thinks my BMW is.

It came needing: a front end alignment (10k miles later no problem),
and had a small coolant leak. The dealer paid for the coolant leak fix.

Being used, in the next couple of months, we have to get two tires,
brakes, and a timing belt. I'll do the brakes myself.
I expect the timing belt will be fairly expensive. I have the service manual.
It's like working on a watch.

I'm not sure which model you have. I have read that the V6 made in
Germany ones are more robust (that is the one we have).

I have not yet been able to determine if it is more expensive than
any other modern car that has lots of nice features.

+1 on the heated seats. When I got the car, I thought of it as kind of a silly thing. It's become one of my favorite things about the car. Not that it gets all that cold in LA, but it's still really nice to take the edge off on a chilly day. When it's "cold" out, my wife often will insist we take my car for just that reason.
Plus, the heating pad analogy is a good one. I have kind of a gimpy back, and it especially bothers me on those occasions when I forget I'm old and lame and go try to play hoops or softball or something. I stagger back to my car, crank up the seat heater, and it really helps. The same is true if by back stiffens up a bit on a long drive.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
First letter or digit of a VIN number idnicates where car was assembled.
A lot of US-market VWs are made in Mexico.

Thanks, man!

Condor

Reaction score
Be aware I just found out its like $1000 to change
the timing belt.
bounce2.gif

Eric Stoner

Reaction score
I drive the 1.8T - estate body - and like it alot. Its covered over 130k miles and still very smooth. Cam belt was changed at 100k (£300) and i've just had it looked at during the last service and they said it was fine for another 20k at least. The turbo can outgun a lot of other cars but isn't too harsh like a sports car.

Would recommend.
smile.gif

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Thanks, man!

Last I recall
Golf/GTI = Germany and Brazil
Jetta/New Beetle = Mexico
Passat = Germany
Eos ... I don't know. My access to Edmund's manufacturer data says "4ITCG"? Who knows what that means.

tom288

Reaction score
I havent read everyones replies, so this may be redundant. I had a 99 and it was good for a 1st car, but there are some things I didn't like. If you get the 4cyl youll eventually have to get new turbos, its slow, and doesnt particularly handle well. Plus Ill never get a FWD car again.

LanAltec

Reaction score
My exgirlfriend had a passat and she loved it. It was pretty nice, from what I remember.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads