• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone here have an interesting job?

batorizer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydneycentric
I fly the approaches....

Originally Posted by JetBlast
As a PPL holder, thank you for saving my hide several times now
lol8[1].gif

right on guys, aviation rocks.

we actually just hired a pilot who's flown commercial for his whole career so far. he has no experience designing approaches (terps or pans/ops as we call it). it'll be interesting to see how his pilot experience will help him learn the process.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
I used to be a professional rally co-driver. Now I'm a management consultant. The latter may not be as interesting, but the chances of a broken pelvis are much smaller.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
My nephew wanted me to post his job... as is typical in my family, he's a workaholic. He has always been artistic and musical. In high school, he started his own comic book company. He draws them and writes the dialog (BIF BAM POW), as well. He has a couple of his friends that work with him. His comics are sold all in comic stores across the country...

He owns an advertising firm, as his 'real' job. He has really benefitted from the recent economic turmoil; he has contracts with several major banks for 'rebranding' efforts. His crews go out to the branches that are now under 'new management' and change everything. Anything that has the old banks name/logo must be replaced with new items: pencils, stationary, exterior and interior signs... He then must put together the ad packages to run to 'welcome' the customers to the new brand. Thanksgiving was very good for him; the day before he had signed an eight-figure contract with a major bank to 'rebrand' the bank they had recently purchased.

Comic books and advertising... I guess encouraging your children to participate in music and art classes in school pays off.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my job, though it does have its frustrations. I'm a research scientist/teacher. I travel to conferences at least half a dozen times a year and manage an international trip every 2-3 years, but my job really doesn't give me many great stories to tell. I'm pretty boring at parties. About all I have to talk about are hand-stitched buttonholes and the glories of welted shoes.
smile.gif

Geruvah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
I used to be a professional rally co-driver. Now I'm a management consultant. The latter may not be as interesting, but the chances of a broken pelvis are much smaller.

Awesome! I used my Focus doing that a bita few years ago. Without you...well we'd be more worse off than just lost.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work the welfare system.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i drew for dc comics before going into advertising. i was an inker for a few vertigo titles in the early 90s.

Originally Posted by AintDatRite
My nephew wanted me to post his job... as is typical in my family, he's a workaholic. He has always been artistic and musical. In high school, he started his own comic book company. He draws them and writes the dialog (BIF BAM POW), as well. He has a couple of his friends that work with him. His comics are sold all in comic stores across the country...

He owns an advertising firm, as his 'real' job. He has really benefitted from the recent economic turmoil; he has contracts with several major banks for 'rebranding' efforts. His crews go out to the branches that are now under 'new management' and change everything. Anything that has the old banks name/logo must be replaced with new items: pencils, stationary, exterior and interior signs... He then must put together the ad packages to run to 'welcome' the customers to the new brand. Thanksgiving was very good for him; the day before he had signed an eight-figure contract with a major bank to 'rebrand' the bank they had recently purchased.

Comic books and advertising... I guess encouraging your children to participate in music and art classes in school pays off.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by flashback
I'm a tour manager, and I currently work for Cut Copy, The Presets, and Panic at the Disco.

People seem to think my job is interesting...

I've been on enough rock tours to know that it is not that interesting of a job. Seventy date tours can get a bit monotonous.
wink.gif

I currently work as a 'ghost artist', meaning I make computer based media artwork that someone else puts their name on. There are maybe a dozen or so people that do what I do, which is good for job security, but bad for advancement. I meet a fair number of celebrity types and tons of star F***ers. The art world is particularly vapid and full of half wits masquerading as geniuses.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I used to investigate charity fraud. That was an awesome interesting job but pretty stressful at times. Nothing like arguing before a governmental board that a charity should be shut down. Especially when they always bring in about 200 kids (dressed in charity t-shirts that the government paid for) to cry their sob stories. And getting called racist (against whites, blacks, and hispanics) about every other week. Still, a great time, and I racked up an 21-3 record.

I also lobbied for a couple of years. Incredibly fun, interesting work. Unfortunately, I lobbied for the left in a right-leaning state.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My job wasnt particularly interesting but a company I used to work for employed "paper engineers" which, simply put, are guys who make pop-ups and mechanical paper pieces (i.e. Popup books, greeting cards, magazine inserts, direct mail pieces).

It sounds a little childish but its really fascinating how these guys can look at a piece of paper, under stand the angles, fold it up a few times and make something unique out of it. I think there were only like 20 of these guys in the world. Its something I thought about trying my hand at but I just dont have the visualization to do it.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I lobbied for the left

Why would anyone want to do that...?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I used to investigate charity fraud. That was an awesome interesting job but pretty stressful at times. Nothing like arguing before a governmental board that a charity should be shut down. Especially when they always bring in about 200 kids (dressed in charity t-shirts that the government paid for) to cry their sob stories. And getting called racist (against whites, blacks, and hispanics) about every other week. Still, a great time, and I racked up an 21-3 record.

that does sound very cool

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AintDatRite
Why would anyone want to do that...?

I think everyone should lobby at some point in their lives. You quickly learn that your "side" is just as stupid and crooked as the other guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads