• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone here have an interesting job?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am in charge of international sales for an american manufacturer. I would say, from the reactions I get from people, it is a very interesting job. I get to maybe 40-50 countries a year, often several times, have maybe 100 good business meals a year around the world, do largescale muliti-cultural negotiations on a regular basis and manage people from differnt cultures. yesterday I spent the day riding around chicago in a stretch hummer with 10 people from a customer organization from colombia, had lunch at at good steak house and generally had fun - all part of the job.

I have been a bodyguard, a recon paratroop sargeant and have tought soliders from a foreign country to fight for money - frankly none are anywhere as interesting as they sound.

So true. People often do not understand how interesting jobs in business could be.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Interesting? Nope.... I run a team that makes trees. Oh, you excluded IT so that means me and my trees cant participate... but they are really interesting trees.

batorizer

Reaction score
I design instrument landing procedures. Basically when an airplane needs to land through clouds/weather, the procedures that get them on the ground is what I design. Any commercial jet will use a procedure, regardless of weather, for any landing. It's just easier for the pilot to let the autopilot fly them down to the last couple hundred feet or less, depending on the procedure, then hand fly the touchdown.

sydneycentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by batorizer
I design instrument landing procedures. Basically when an airplane needs to land through clouds/weather, the procedures that get them on the ground is what I design. Any commercial jet will use a procedure, regardless of weather, for any landing. It's just easier for the pilot to let the autopilot fly them down to the last couple hundred feet or less, depending on the procedure, then hand fly the touchdown.

I fly the approaches....

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by batorizer

As a PPL holder, thank you for saving my hide several times now
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by sydneycentric
I fly the approaches....
I work the aircraft when it gets on the ground!

KBW

Reaction score
My dad's company has an "engineering" contract at a nuclear power plant which is interesting but my now two companies are about as boring as it gets (selling cars and accounting)

jhdas

Reaction score
I'm currently a college student but the school I go to is pretty good at getting chem majors into top graduate programs so hopefully in about 8 years or so I should be able to say I'm working on something really cool in chemical research or engineering or the like. Who knows, maybe I'll solve the energy crisis, or (more importantly) make some great advancement in textile technology.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I have a very interesting job. You may disagree. I am a microeconomist (industrial organization/market structure analysis/auction theory/etc.) working for a federal department/commission/agency that regulates an industry (sorry, I'd rather not get into details since there's a least one other list member who works in this industry). But I have a direct hand in determining the conditions under which a very significant industry operates.

b

AintDatRite

Reaction score
I render trees - but only on the side. For those of yall that play video games, if there is a tree in the game, theres a very good chance that my company helped create it. Our most publicized deal was with Grand Theft Auto, so the next time you are riding around ****** and robbing people - slow down and look at the scenery. Yup - some of those trees were 'grown' right here on this computer... For the most part, the trees in video games (PC-based, XBox, PlayStation, etc) and military/police training simulators are created with our application that is able to render a virtual tree and foliage in real time.

'Real' job is still in IT but not as interesting... I run a specialized development group within the IT department for a large company.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AintDatRite
I render trees - but only on the side. For those of yall that play video games, if there is a tree in the game, theres a very good chance that my company helped create it. Our most publicized deal was with Grand Theft Auto, so the next time you are riding around ****** and robbing people - slow down and look at the scenery. Yup - some of those trees were 'grown' right here on this computer... For the most part, the trees in video games (PC-based, XBox, PlayStation, etc) and military/police training simulators are created with our application that is able to render a virtual tree and foliage in real time.

Scenery rendering FTW
bounce2.gif

Geruvah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
How did you get into that field?
You see things in a different angle, get told, "no" to a lot of your creations and create a portfolio that everybody will find not impressive. A college degree will help a bit. It's not the paper they want, it's the work.
Originally Posted by thekunk07
me too. i an 50% owner of an interactive advertising agency. everything from enterprise level site development to banners, facebook/iphone/andrioid apps, planning and strategy, online video. my uncle is the personal bodyguard of one of the 10 richest men in the world but i can't divulge too much. that is an interesting job.
I have a question, because someone discussed this with me earlier. Who pays for the ads to run on the sites? The client or you, the advertiser?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the advertiser own media and sell it as a markup?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No mean to derail a thread but how exactly did one get on the pathway for advertising? Did anyone currently in advertising take Business Marketing classes at all in college?

As for on topic, I worked in an ice cream shop during the summer. I dealt mostly with little kids and moms but every now and then something interesting would happen.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm in business and though the line of work I am in is not something one would think of as "interesting" what I do at work is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads