• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone here dress in business casual every day just because?

bluemax

Reaction score
Like the title says. I'm curious to know if anyone dresses in business casual or nicer as regular attire, and not because it's required for your workplace or profession. Seems like decades ago this was pretty common, especially in cities. Nowadays it's pretty rare, unless the person is over 70.

yo!

Reaction score
I try to wear a collared shirt and jacket everyday. Be it a polo shirt with a casual jacket or a button down collar with a blazer.

I am a college student btw.

Shraka

Reaction score
Yes. I can get away with jeans and a t-shirt, but occasionally wear a suit and tie, and usually wear a suit sans tie.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here.

I actually make a conscious effort to dress up because I like to.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like to dress nicely, but it would be odd for me to wear a suit to school as I am still in HS. I do like to wear sweaters and the like though and I do wear nicer things outside of school, like a button-up to work but I don't want to be seen as the weirdo who gets up early to dress up.

PS: Doc is an extravagant fop.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm my own huckleberry.

VB_024_Popinjay.jpg

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
suits during weekdays, blazer on friday, tshirt + jeans on saturday and golfing attire on sunday. but then it also depends on the activities.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
I do like to wear sweaters and the like though and I do wear nicer things outside of school, like a button-up to work but I don't want to be seen as the weirdo who gets up early to dress up
This is fine... You're in high school, enjoy while you have it and there's so much more interesting/ fun things going on that decent clothes should be plenty and not of a big concern. IMO sounds like you're doing fine. Dress to occasion unless you like alienating yourself.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry this is my first double post since my post count was seriously bothering me... sorry!

lordofpi

Reaction score
As some of the others, I am rarely caught in less than informal dress. I am head of a <50 person operation where no one (even managers directly below me) dresses above the level of business casual, and even that is a stretch and rarity for most. I answer to a board of shareholders, all who are also very casual. Neverthless, I am always attired in a suit and tie (and the occasional sport coat and trousers if working on the weekends).

It was never asked of me, and the employees in the organization (it's basically family owned/operated) have been there for >15 years, so they are not about to change their attire (and I wouldn't ask them). I just feel out of place without a suit, especially in a leadership role.

The above notwithstanding, I -- like Doc -- would dress this way whether I were employed in this capacity or not. It is my...well...style.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only two things required at my place of work is an irrational sense of business values, and little to no sense of personal accountability.

Therefore when I walk by those ***** wearing their ever-shortening inseam dockers, I smile inwardly knowing at least I have a modicum of self respect, even while I continue to work for functionally marsupialed people.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At work shirt and tie is required; I wear a suit several times/week, else I start feeling like a waiter. On my time, you'll never find me wearing less than good jeans and a button down, unless I'm doing some serious outdoor work.

~H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads