• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone have any info on the Filson/Apolis Activism bag?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
There have already been Steven Alan and Jean Shop collabs.
They technically weren't collaborations. Jean Shop just bought some bags up, tossed them in their giant industrial equipment, and resold them for twice the usual retail price.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mauro,

You should not give a breakdown on the price if you don't want to. People need to realize that there are extra steps in the manufacturing process of this bag than a standard 256.

Filson needs to make money, Apolis needs to make money, Farinelli's needs to make money, and Invisible Children needs to make money.

Like Whodini said, comparing this to a standard 256 is not apples to apples. People were not dissecting the costs of a 10 dollar Livestrong strong when you couldve had a plain yellow one for a nickel and neither should we for this bag.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I imagine that having a small production run adds to the price.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the raison d'etre of this forum is consumer education. There is a value judgement attached to every purchase. I believe that an educated consumer will make a better-informed, and ultimately better, choice. For some people, this will be a good purchase. For others, not so much. Except for those for whom a purchase would be fiscally irresponsible, an ill-informed consumer will not make the right choice for himself for the right reasons.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand but it just bugs me that everyone wants an exculsive top notch product but wonders why the price tag is what it is.
It's a Wal-mart mentality thats been hammered into the American mind.
If I can break it down and explain to people why something costs what it does and it registers then i did my job .

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Part of the raison d'etre of this forum is consumer education. There is a value judgement attached to every purchase. I believe that an educated consumer will make a better-informed, and ultimately better, choice. For some people, this will be a good purchase. For others, not so much. Except for those for whom a purchase would be fiscally irresponsible, an ill-informed consumer will not make the right choice for himself for the right reasons.

i totally agree with informing people of the background behind products. there needs to be a perceived value behind any product for it to be successful. my thinking is that if people haven't realized why the price is where it is, realizing that this is not a standard operation from a large corporation, then laying everything out there will not necessarily swing a person from buying or not buying.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting the bag.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the bitching over the price. It is expensive; it is more than I can afford as a college student. So I'm not going to buy it. But I can understand the cost, realize that there are plenty of people who will pay it, and I think it will sell very well. MMM charges $500 for a pair of khakis and there aren't even any African orphans benefiting from the production.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm seriously starting to lean toward getting one. Do we have measurements yet?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah im on the list to get one. i didnt mean to start **** with anyone. i have the utmost respect for mauro and for apolis and for trying to benefit others ... hence i placed the disclaimer. i am just trying to get more info before i throw all that money down. i purchased the context x apolis piece because i knew what i was getting for that price. so yeah i just wanted to know more about the product ... i didnt mean to start this whole debate and didnt want to be called "amateurish" and cheap. so yeah ... sorry
eh.gif
i also stated "PLEASE PERSUADE ME" ... so mauro and the like have persuaded me that its a quality product from material, the leather straps, the cause, the production costs, small market share, the fact that if louis vuitton or prada or etc would sell this it would be ridiculously worse ... so yeah, thanks for the help

Shea

Reaction score
My two brothers and I started the brand Apolis Activism. Thank you for the interest in this Uganda project where we are producing the Filson Original Briefcase and the Thomson Uganda Jacket for Autumn 2009. A mutual friend has introduced us to the CEO of Filson and thanks to his background as being the CEO of Patagonia – we have both been able to see the importance of using trade to connect developing economies to the market place.

The price of this bag has been a topic of conversation that we would like to address. Thanks to our sales team further partnering with us on this bag we are able to lower the price to $396. Our goal is to impact the end of the supply chain (Uganda, Nepal - see website) with five key products for Autumn 2009. We appreciate feedback from each of you as we begin to create what our Ugandan partner calls “A new era of philanthropy.”

“Philanthropy is at an exciting cross roads because people are beginning to understand that it can be more a part of our daily lives and not just an afterthought. Donating a percentage to the poor is great, but giving the poor access to opportunity is even better. Apolis is on the forefront of an era of new philanthropy by integrating sustainable development into their supply chain and bringing a whole new meaning to corporate social responsibility. The line between development and business is becoming blurry and consumers are beginning to see their role as they demand to know how, who and where their products are made.” — Ben Thomson, Vice President of International Development, Invisible Children

zzaveri

Reaction score
sorry for being late to the party here, but i'd like to order one. Would greatly appreciate it if someone let me know how to do that - thanks!

zzaveri

Reaction score
sorry, one more post so that styleforum will let me send messages..

mikey34

Reaction score
ahh what the heck put me down to purchase one too mauro!

Detour Clothing Store

Reaction score
Saw the bag in Vegas...absolutely amazing! Really thick but pliable navy canvas, leather straps, top notch quality. It will definitely live up to the hype. Besides the Apolis brother are awesome, great guys, just about everything they do is for a great cause.
We'll try to get some measurements and let everyone know how many we'll be able to get and the ship dates.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads