1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have any info on the Filson/Apolis Activism bag?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by WhoKnewI, Feb 12, 2009.

1. dibadiba

dibadiba Senior member

what a stupid thread. granted Apolis fucked up real bad, but suddenly all these haters come out of the woodworks smack-talking their bowties and sweatshirts? OMG A LOOSE THREAD! DOWN WITH GREEDY APOLIS! No need to confuse poor business ethics with poor quality goods.

2. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

this thread delivers indeed.

3. Mauro

Mauro Senior member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    it's safe to say there is no love lost between Apolis and Farinelli's but dibadiba is correct.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

i own that sweater. Its not like J crew at all in any way except that it is also a crew neck.

I think the issue is that it looks like a sweatshirt, but it's made of cashmere. So the issue becomes Apolis is selling a $330 cashmere sweatshirt.

It also looks a ton like J.Crew's sweatshirts.

[​IMG]

it's safe to say there is no love lost between Apolis and Farinelli's but dibadiba is correct.

I'm not privy to any of this, but my interactions with the Apolis boys have all been positive. When we did our collaboration, samples were made and adjusted and then a new sample cut, at lightning fast speed. This went on until I okayed the final sample, so any fit issues with the coated shirt jacket would be my fault. I don't think that Raan is the most polished designer (compared to say, Ken Chow), but he is conscientious about his craft, and his work is constantly improving. I don't think that re-releasing the limited edition bag was a good idea, not was shutting out some of the original vendors for no reason that's been stated, but I'm going to reserve my judgement, since I haven't talked to either Raan or Shea about this.

Some of the criticisms of the bag itself are unfair. For example, the bag is made of a 17 ounce, softer, fabric than Filson's regular bags. They are still durable, but clearly, are not going to take the same abuse that the 22 ounce waxed cotton bags can take.

5. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

I think the issue is that it looks like a sweatshirt, but it's made of cashmere. So the issue becomes Apolis is selling a $330 cashmere sweatshirt.

It also looks a ton like J.Crew's sweatshirts.

[​IMG]

you mean like the countless designers selling cashmere t shirts and cashmere hoodies. I see your point AA is crazy.

J crew does offer crew necks BTW i own a few. And no they are not the same as the AA one.

6. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member

Hey guys,

I'd like to chime in with my personal experience. I've met the Apolis guys several times, and had a chance to visit them a few months back in LA. They're very polite guys, and I feel that they believe in what they're doing.

Regarding the bag reproduction, I agree with everyone's sentiment. It was definitely a mistake. Things like branding & exclusivity are a big part of the actual value of an item. If something is limited edition, then that has to be respected. I completely understand why some original customers would feel cheated. Getting a stamped unit of a limited run was a major selling point. If I bought one, I would be pissed too.

That said, I think that their intentions are good. They're not getting rich off this (at least from what I've seen). Their collection is made in the US. For what it's worth, this particular project brought real business and revenue to Uganda. I'm sure it's on a tiny scale, but it means something. Making their collection here and trying to support sustainable production in developing countries is more than I can say for most brands. Like any young company, they'll fuck some things up and fall short of some goals. You only get to be a good retailer by making a ton of mistakes first.

New designers looking to wholesale to boutiques struggle in even the best of times. These days it's a lot harder. Maybe they needed the money to produce the next season's samples. Maybe they were slammed with customer requests to make more. Maybe they wanted to throw more business to their partners in Uganda and help keep the lights on. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

7. ennui

ennui Senior member

When we did our collaboration, samples were made and adjusted and then a new sample cut, at lightning fast speed. This went on until I okayed the final sample, so any fit issues with the coated shirt jacket would be my fault.

I think the collab fits wonderfully. It probably could have been an inch less in the waist and hem, but I'm not crying over it, and the end result is still certainly far from horrible as some would claim on here.

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

I think my biggest issue with Apolis is their philanthropy claim. I don't think they're lying, but they need to do a far better job proving that the money people are paying is helping Ugandans. Same with their tshirt line - back it up.

9. Oxnard

Oxnard Senior member

I think my biggest issue with Apolis is their philanthropy claim. I don't think they're lying, but they need to do a far better job proving that the money people are paying is helping Ugandans. Same with their tshirt line - back it up.
    What exactly do you want them to do? They have it listed pretty clearly what organizations they are using, and how these organizations help source in the fabric, where the fabric originates from, etc. The limited edition thing is definitely fucked, but I wouldn't go as far as to doubt the legitimacy of their efforts to support a more fair-trade centered approach to the sourcing of their materials. Really don't know what else they could do to back up the results of their operation.

10. KitAkira

KitAkira Senior member

I think people need to realize that Apolis is a company trying to make profit and not in any way like a charity that gives back to its donors. They partner with non-profits so it isn't like they're organizing everything from the farmer through to the store

11. rexet

rexet Senior member

Hi all and Happy new year!

I was looking for a nice everyday messenger bag and I found this one searching the net. That's the reason I finaly ended on this interesting topic.
    It is a shame that Apolis and Filson decided to go for a second round of this "limited" bag.

Anyway, I was wondering about the situation today.
    I mean, this bag is still available on the Apolis online store. There is no mention of the limited edition but there is still a picture of the metal thingy where the number is written.

Do you think there are still producing this bag but they removed the limited policy?
    Do they go for unlimited new round of limited edition?

Despite the fact that I really understand the reaction of the first buyer, I still love this bag design.

Would it be also possible to have new pictures of this bag getting old since few of you have it for some years now?

Thank you.

Cheers!