1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone have any info on the Filson/Apolis Activism bag?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by WhoKnewI, Feb 12, 2009.

1. arced

arced Senior member

I think Filson is pretty blameless here. No one is hammering on them either - in fact, a lot of people are saying they will buy straight from Filson instead.

I didn't mean to imply that Filson was getting hammered by anyone or that they should be blamed, but it's also their product so if people are hating on it then they'd probably care.

2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

breakz posted on the random fashion thread that apolis has a new bag for spring without filson and some leather belts.

we should just change the name to this thread, "SF BANS APOLIS ACTIVISM"

3. puddin

puddin Senior member

The lesson here is: don't pay a premium for hype and manufactured exclusivity.

wise advice

If you give a shit about charitable giving, find an organization that does not profit off it and give directly.

If you're interested in helping the people of Uganda check out these guys. They're totally legit and embody the best of a progressive and open minded religious faith. They also make a lot of their money selling holiday wreaths and dried fruit so its a good time of year to buy. Knock a couple of the easy gifts off your shopping list.
    http://www.starcross.org/aids-africa.htm

I agree that with the sentiment about donating to charities, but I think it's a great thing for companies to use socially conscious manufacturing techniques, and there is nothing wrong with advertising that you do it. And it's a great thing to vote with your dollars and support companies that engage in these practices. Whether or not AA is a reputable company is a separate thing entirely.

4. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

we should just change the name to this thread, "FOUR GUYS ARE PISSED AT APOLIS ACTIVISM"

5. breakz

breakz Senior member

breakz posted on the random fashion thread that apolis has a new bag for spring without filson and some leather belts.
    The belts will cost more than Billykirk and come in 10 "limited runs" of 20. [​IMG]

6. tim_pnin

tim_pnin Active Member

What a marketing/PR nightmare. It's funny how EASILY AA could rectify this situation and possibly save the name of their brand on this forum.

They pimped their customers and their retailers in the pursuit of profit. Their customers and retailers are part of a fairly small community that communicates with each other regularly. And now people are mad enough that the scales have dropped from their eyes: for instance, one can now see that one can get this $350 look

[​IMG]

by turning one's shitty J Crew merino wool crew-neck inside out. I don't care if this sweater was made by Anne Frank and Jesus in a suburb of Kabul: you will still look like a douche with it on.

I don't really see any way for these guys to fix this fuck-up; but the surest way would probably be to start producing clothing that isn't absurd looking.

7. ToruOkada

ToruOkada Senior member

haha yeah pretty much on point here except maybe up the total to like 8..

8. shasta

shasta Senior member

I did not buy this bag on the basis of Philanthropy - I bought it because I favored the color (black) vs. the colors that filson sells - and I knew that I wouldn't look like every other dirty hipster with a filson with this exclusive color.

9. Razele

Razele Senior member

This thread delivers.

10. JO3B

JO3B Senior member

when do we get to start talking about those awful black waxed or whatever cotton jackets that all fit horribly?

11. whodini

whodini Senior member

when do we get to start talking about those awful black waxed or whatever cotton jackets that all fit horribly?
    Good point, regardless of the title of the thread. For the answer to that question, I recommend you ask the designer of the shirt directly. You can find his user name listed under "A Guy," first letter "L." Please come back and post your findings. I am sure we will all be thrilled and wait with baited breath.

12. JO3B

JO3B Senior member

oh, sorry fok.

not you whodini. you're always so pissy it seems.

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

Please tell me that was an invitation to give you a golden shower, not that I would even if you were across the street and up in flames.

14. JO3B

JO3B Senior member

whatever's clever, kiddo.

15. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

Oh no! I have five of these in my mom's freezer right now. Do you guys think this will affect the resale value? I was planning on using the appreciation to get a blacked out sub! And to think, I waited in line all night! I knew I should have invested in some exclusive Flathead shirts, instead!

16. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

They pimped their customers and their retailers in the pursuit of profit. Their customers and retailers are part of a fairly small community that communicates with each other regularly. And now people are mad enough that the scales have dropped from their eyes: for instance, one can now see that one can get this $350 look

[​IMG]

by turning one's shitty J Crew merino wool crew-neck inside out. I don't care if this sweater was made by Anne Frank and Jesus in a suburb of Kabul: you will still look like a douche with it on.

I don't really see any way for these guys to fix this fuck-up; but the surest way would probably be to start producing clothing that isn't absurd looking.

i own that sweater. Its not like J crew at all in any way except that it is also a crew neck.

17. zissou

zissou Senior member

^Way to crash the party. Thanks, man (10)

18. shasta

shasta Senior member

i own that sweater. Its not like J crew at all in any way except that it is also a crew neck.

hahahah what? all J. Crew sweaters have crew necks??? hahahahahahahhahahahahha

19. Django

Django Senior member

20. breakz

breakz Senior member

I think the issue is that it looks like a sweatshirt, but it's made of cashmere. So the issue becomes Apolis is selling a $330 cashmere sweatshirt.

It also looks a ton like J.Crew's sweatshirts.

J Crew Neck

[​IMG]