• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone have any experience with Charles Tyrwhitt mtm suits or shirts?

TexasToast

Reaction score
Today I went into a CT in NYC and see advertising for mtm suits and shirt's. This is new to me but the clerk tells me that they have been doing mtm for a couple of years now.I'd like to know if anyone has any experience with their mtm suits & shirts before I try them out thanks.

Last edited:

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
They are a British "high-street" chain that sources their items from everywhere. Whilst they used to be UK-made, they are now primarily from India, China, and Vietnam -- which is not to say that they are bad.

I can't speak to their suiting, but I heard that, generally, their shirts are okay value, especially when on sale and compared to other UK options. I don't know how they are priced in the USA -- so their value proposition may not apply.

TexasToast

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I'm not sure how much the shirts are but suits start at $549 USD.

VegasRebel

Reaction score
They often run a 4/$199 on RTW shirts in the US. On sales, they've recently run 4/$149 shirt sales. A year or so ago they ran a 4/$129 on Cyber Monday, but I assume the bit more is an increase along with seemingly everything else. I have several of their shirts and I like them for the price.

I haven't placed any MTM orders, but I imagine they'd be roughly the same quality, Their website quotes $99 for MTM shirts, but possibly they have sales like their RTW options. maybe just with a bit better fit.

I also have one of their sport jackets that I picked up in store that I rather like. I have not bought any of their suits or pants, though I hear their trousers are not great.

TexasToast

Reaction score
They often run a 4/$199 on RTW shirts in the US. On sales, they've recently run 4/$149 shirt sales. A year or so ago they ran a 4/$129 on Cyber Monday, but I assume the bit more is an increase along with seemingly everything else. I have several of their shirts and I like them for the price.

I haven't placed any MTM orders, but I imagine they'd be roughly the same quality, Their website quotes $99 for MTM shirts, but possibly they have sales like their RTW options. maybe just with a bit better fit.

I also have one of their sport jackets that I picked up in store that I rather like. I have not bought any of their suits or pants, though I hear their trousers are not great.
I've taken advantage of some of the sales, Wow I have to check on the mtm shirt prices when I go into the store. I will check out the sports jackets as well thanks for the info.

OhNoNotAgain

Reaction score
The quality of their MTM suits is equal to that of their basic and mid range suits, made in the same indian factory. The fabrics on offer are their own and those of the factory, only two or three of the hundred or so swatches have a mill listed (Di Fabio). At the entry price point the suits are fully fused, at every other price point they are half canvassed. The styling options are rather basic - you can choose from only four lapels and five pocket styles, double or single vents, and 4 or 5 button cuff. You can have lined, half lined, or unlined jackets. The only pleat option available for trousers is single reverse. Turn ups can be had in either 1.5" or 2". The fit adjustments are equally basic - no posture adjustments, just basic control over the chest, waist, hips, biceps, and length (jacket and sleeves). Only the trouser front rise can be altered and is otherwise just waist, hips, knee, and ankle adjustments. It's an affordable option if you're a relatively normal build and like the CT look. The system is definitely not built to go outside of that. You can't adjust the weight of the canvas, the shoulder expression, the overall rise of the trousers, etc like you can with Suit Supply.

At the appointment they take four body measurements and have you try on a rtw suit, which they pin and take notes from. You go through your styling and fabric choices. They require payment in full before you order is submitted. 3-5 weeks later, you are invited back in for collection. At this appointment you can try the suit on again and request further adjustments but the expectation is very much that you take it home at this stage. The staff seem hesitant to do any adjustments, which I found odd. If something needs done, the work is executed by the store's alteration service which may or may not be in house.

The custom shirts are really just made to order, not made to measure. They are made in either china or vietnam by their main shirt supplier to similar quality but with stitching a little closer to the edges. The shirts are not as good as their made in India egyptian cotton and luxury ranges. They lack the shanked buttons, curved collar band, and side gussets of those ranges. The collars and cuffs are always medium stiff and fused. Your control over fit is even more limited than the suits. You can only adjust the collar size (half inch), the sleeve length (half inch), the body length, the cuff width, and the overall "fit" of the shirt. It's effectively their existing sizing - say 16.5 collar, 34 sleeve, classic fit - but you can tighten or loosen the cuffs and lengthen or shorten the shirt a few cm. You can do any collar and sleeve length combination but you can't independently adjust the waist, chest, and sleeve - you just select from one their broad fits - classic, slim, extra slim, super slim. The fabrics on offer are mostly their current rtw fabrics, with some old discontinued designs making a reappearance. Their luxury shirt selection includes swatches woven in italy but does not say by whom. I have been informed they are Monti though I can't confirm that. Again, an affordable option but limited. You can choose from a few collar and cuff style. Back pleats and darts are restricted by what fit you choose. Pockets and various placket styles are available. You can also add coloured ribbon around the collar band, do coloured button holes, and contrasting fabric. It's very much focused on looks and not quality or fit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads