• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Anyone Have Any Experience In Lightening Shoes

lutfa

Reaction score
My question is. Does anyone have any experience in lightening shoes that are dark to lighter shade. I know sysdoc has done it with bleaching.But outside of that.Maybe a shade or two.

lutfa

Reaction score
Funny you mention that .I just put them in the most lit up place in my house. Is there also another option . Something more definate. Thats eczactly what what I saw .When you go into a shoe department you see the shoe on display and when they bring it out it's supposed to be the same color but it's ususlly slightly darker. Thanks for the reminder.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Acetone works wonders. It won't harm the leather and lightens nicely, though it does take a bit of rubbing. I've done this with a pair of Allen Edmonds Sandfords that I lightened from their bourbon burnished (like a darker version of their chestnut) to something close to Edward Green's birch or antique maple.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Teach, do you use the acetone straight or dilute it for this?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Teach, do you use the acetone straight or dilute it for this?

Not being a chemist, I'll give you the layman's answer: I don't know. I use unscented nail polish remover, which is probably diluted, but I'm not sure. Wish I could give a better answer.
lookaround.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Not being a chemist, I'll give you the layman's answer: I don't know. I use unscented nail polish remover, which is probably diluted, but I'm not sure. Wish I could give a better answer.
lookaround.gif

I struggled through the summer school version of high school chemistry. That's exactly the level of detail I was looking for: straight nail polish remover, or nail polish removal with water?
smile.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I struggled through the summer school version of high school chemistry. That's exactly the level of detail I was looking for: straight nail polish remover, or nail polish removal with water?
smile.gif

No water. Even at full strength, it took some work.

gordongodwin

Reaction score
Along the same lines... sort of... does anyone know how I could refinish a pair of shoes myself without completely ruining them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads