• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone have a good tie that is "made in China"?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking through my tie collection and I found only one that was made in China. This is odd because (1) I live in China and (2) I'm not quite as picky as most of the people on the forum.

Most of my ties are made in Italy and a few are made in the US and the UK.

Does anyone have good ties, in terms of quality of silk and construciton and style, that are made in China? I'm not talking about ties on the level of Charvet, Kiton, Holliday and Brown, or any of the smaller seven-fold makers favored here. On the level of Polo Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brother's or Land's End would be find. I know that the Nautica and Zara type ties are made here, but those usually don't seem to be quite as good.

If you do have a good tie made in China or HK, what is the brand?

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
laugh.gif

I'm scraping but there's nothing there.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There must be some decent quality ties made here. They probably do the last fold in Italy to get "made in italy".

I'm just kind of surprised that I don't recall having seen a single attractive tie with "made in China" and don't even any in my collection.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
There must be some decent quality ties made here. They probably do the last fold in Italy to get "made in italy".

I'm just kind of surprised that I don't recall having seen a single attractive tie with "made in China" and don't even any in my collection.

Well, most attractive ones (by SF standards) were exported to States or other western countries, left the tacky ones flooding local chinese market.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my ties are made in Italy. I find the ones made in china have a plastic-like interlining which forms pretty terrible knots.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say the Trump doesn't wear his own brand of clothes.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall David Chu had some decent ones at a sample sale last year; I think they were China-made.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I think it's safe to say the Trump doesn't wear his own brand of clothes.

He probably wears Brioni 99% of the time and Trump Clothes 1% of the time.

"The Donald J. Trump collection of suits, ties and dress shirts has been available for the last year at Macy's and other Federated department stores, a couple of hundred outlets in all. Terry J. Lundgren, the chief executive of Federated, has characterized the Trump apparel business as "an unbelievable runaway success." Mr. Trump doesn't design the clothes, he doesn't make them, and he doesn't spend a dime to promote them. And unlike most designers, he doesn't expend any effort trying to convince the American public that a billionaire, the keeper of Mar-a-Lago, the defender of capitalist culture, would dump his $5,000 Brioni suits in favor of his own $495 make. He wears his suits, which are produced for a royalty by a firm called Marcraft, but he also wears the other."

Now he can say that Donald Trump clothes are good enough for him ( with a a straight face ).

Here's the article. The Trump line has been a huge success. Given Trump's marketing savvy and the average guys knowledge of clothing, this is no surprise.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
All my ties are made in Italy. I find the ones made in china have a plastic-like interlining which forms pretty terrible knots.

They almost all use poly interlinings. Italy uses wool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads