• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Does anyone have a good tie that is "made in China"?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking through my tie collection and I found only one that was made in China. This is odd because (1) I live in China and (2) I'm not quite as picky as most of the people on the forum.

Most of my ties are made in Italy and a few are made in the US and the UK.

Does anyone have good ties, in terms of quality of silk and construciton and style, that are made in China? I'm not talking about ties on the level of Charvet, Kiton, Holliday and Brown, or any of the smaller seven-fold makers favored here. On the level of Polo Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brother's or Land's End would be find. I know that the Nautica and Zara type ties are made here, but those usually don't seem to be quite as good.

If you do have a good tie made in China or HK, what is the brand?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There must be some decent quality ties made here. They probably do the last fold in Italy to get "made in italy".

I'm just kind of surprised that I don't recall having seen a single attractive tie with "made in China" and don't even any in my collection.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
There must be some decent quality ties made here. They probably do the last fold in Italy to get "made in italy".

I'm just kind of surprised that I don't recall having seen a single attractive tie with "made in China" and don't even any in my collection.

Well, most attractive ones (by SF standards) were exported to States or other western countries, left the tacky ones flooding local chinese market.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All my ties are made in Italy. I find the ones made in china have a plastic-like interlining which forms pretty terrible knots.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
As are his wigs.

Yeah, they're about equal quality to his ties:

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say the Trump doesn't wear his own brand of clothes.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall David Chu had some decent ones at a sample sale last year; I think they were China-made.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I think it's safe to say the Trump doesn't wear his own brand of clothes.

He probably wears Brioni 99% of the time and Trump Clothes 1% of the time.

"The Donald J. Trump collection of suits, ties and dress shirts has been available for the last year at Macy's and other Federated department stores, a couple of hundred outlets in all. Terry J. Lundgren, the chief executive of Federated, has characterized the Trump apparel business as "an unbelievable runaway success." Mr. Trump doesn't design the clothes, he doesn't make them, and he doesn't spend a dime to promote them. And unlike most designers, he doesn't expend any effort trying to convince the American public that a billionaire, the keeper of Mar-a-Lago, the defender of capitalist culture, would dump his $5,000 Brioni suits in favor of his own $495 make. He wears his suits, which are produced for a royalty by a firm called Marcraft, but he also wears the other."

Now he can say that Donald Trump clothes are good enough for him ( with a a straight face ).

Here's the article. The Trump line has been a huge success. Given Trump's marketing savvy and the average guys knowledge of clothing, this is no surprise.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
All my ties are made in Italy. I find the ones made in china have a plastic-like interlining which forms pretty terrible knots.

They almost all use poly interlinings. Italy uses wool.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.8%
  • 31 - 40