• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anyone go tanning?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going on a cruise the end of January and wanted to get a decent looking tan on my pasty white Northeastern ass. I have to get some tanning lotion and I am not really sure what kind to get? does it even matter??

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't use lotion. Most of it is marketing.

mikej77

Reaction score
I have been tanning for years, here is my recent photo after my last tanning session.

turboman808

Reaction score
Really don't understand tanning at all. Show a lack of confidence to me.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
natural tan > naturally pale > any fake tanning

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
one of the annoying girls in the marketing department of my office does. aside from that, I don't know anybody

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People actually go tanning? Just do **** out in the sun.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During the summer, I'll lay out on the beach, but never for a year round tan. I would be tempted to get a base tan before a cruise, though. More so I wouldn't burn to a crisp, than appearance. I wouldn't have any idea of where to go, or how to tan at a salon, though.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Do some research as to what the weather's going to be when you'll be there and plan accordingly. FWIW, I did a 7-day cruise to the Mexican Riviera (Puerto Villarta, Mazatalan, and Cabo San Lucas) last month and found out in advance that it was going to be mostly sunny with highs in the mid to upper 80's. I'm relatively dark complected and stay fairly tan all year round, and I was pretty much by the pool during sea days and out in the sun during the shore excursions. I used SPF 35 (55 under my eyes and on my nose and forehead) and still got quite a bit of color.

Also FWIW, my understanding is that fake-bake tans don't help protect you from burning in the sun because they're different rays. Don't know if the technology has changed or not, so YMMV.

Have fun. When we got back I would have turned around and gotten right back on the ship if I could have.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea it was around 20 out here yesterday and we just had an icestorm that knocked power out in alot of the area (300,000 people) for about 3 days.... needless to say cant wait to leave. Obvious it is winter so I cant 'lay out in the sun', I dont ever tan but wanted a base tan before the cruise mainly so I dont get burnt and also because it does lok a little better imo to have a slight tan when in a tropical place.

I am just going to buy whateve they suggest at the tanning place and give it a try, I just dont want anything with the bronzer crap in it that makes ya look fake...

Lucky7

Reaction score
I don't go "tanning" however, I have a dark complexion most of the year due to my Mediterranean heritage.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i kinda want to start going tanning. maybe like 2 minute session's. im so pale during the winter its crazy. and i think i look much better with a "tan".

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
When I worked in a gym I went tanning a few times since it was on the house, during the winter (actually always) in seattle we don't get much sun and it really, really starts to get to you. Tanning lifted my mood a few critical times and yes, it does make you look better. Kinda wish I had access to a tanning bed now, I'm getting superpale again this winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads