1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone get this new look?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kennethpollock, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I wear it sometimes. I like the jeans to dress things down a bit.

But I always wear socks. Not a fan of the sockless look.

I wear socks maybe once a week in the summer.. Well, more when I am running. Sure, i wear loafers like 50% of the time, but the rest it's oxfords and such. Totally not ashamed and love it.

[​IMG]

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I like it.

+1

3. kuwisdelu

kuwisdelu Senior member

+1

I think most can agree you have the most to gain from the sockless look.

[​IMG]

(credit to Mr. Sam)

4. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Aparently that is a new style of some sort, but i'm with you I don't really get it. I have mixed jackets and jeans before but never an entire suit top vest an everything with such a casual bottom to me it just dosen't look right.

5. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Oh God, his vest. It is so short.

I think it's more because his jeans are lowrise.

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

That look is from the early 1980's. I used to do that look. Wouldn't again though.
    I refer to the look that the OP started the thread with, and not that human piniata posted later.

7. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

very middle class geek chic...The barbour and other wax coated jacket are the apanage of the well to do in various countries...
    Only the Burberry's scarf is missing on that picture..

I don't get it ...I'm not against a pair of jeans and a great sportscoat or a jacket but the sockless oxfords...No.
    Is it one of these mixed looks , mixing uber classic components and shock details..

No redeeming point to save that hideous outfit.

It's pretty obvious you don't get it.

Middle class geek chic? Burberry scarf? Shock details?

Its a modern rendition of east coast prep perpetrated by fashion brands like Ralph Lauren and J. Crew. And it works...if you can pull it off.

8. unjung

unjung Senior member

I think it has its place, just as it is having its time, right now.

And to me, the more the everyday man comes to know timeless fashions and clothing items, the better for us all, because it creates a larger market for products we value, and ensures their availability further into the future.

9. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I think I can guess the 3 SAs in the Atlanta store who would never do that look. I have to say though, even if they did that look, they'd still be the best dressed in Lenox.

10. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

One of the SA's at the Chicago RL (Michigan Ave.) store is often dressed similarly. I've never seen him in jeans but he usually has on very slim pants w/ rolled hem, jacket, tie, and shoes sans socks.

Hahahahaha, you mean David, the really thin guy with crazy hair who works on the 2nd floor?

11. Chips

Chips Senior member

I need to start shopping for a vest.

12. David Watts

David Watts Senior member

[​IMG]

It seems my dad's old M-65 jacket from Vietnam is ahead of the curve. Glad I held onto it...

13. apropos

apropos Senior member

Is it a joke? Suit jacket, English cutaway collar shirt, nice tie, and vest, paired with blue jeans and oxfords (but usually no socks). The salesmen seem to wear this at Ralph Lauren, Lenox Square Mall, Atlanta and I saw a whole shop display window of this bizarre look at a store named Club Monaco. I don't get it. Pretty nice from the waist up and then it all comes crashing down.
    It's called the Trepanier (tm). [​IMG]

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

[​IMG]

While we're at it, can anyone id the barbour jacket in this pic?

15. lightsaber

lightsaber Senior member

[​IMG] Not exceptionally tasteful (to put it mildly), but the sad thing is that it's actually an improvement from the way so many men on the streets dress.

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Hahahahaha, you mean David, the really thin guy with crazy hair who works on the 2nd floor?
    Yes, he's the one. He usually looks okay.

17. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Is it a joke?
    Suit jacket, English cutaway collar shirt, nice tie, and vest, paired with blue jeans and oxfords (but usually no socks). The salesmen seem to wear this at Ralph Lauren, Lenox Square Mall, Atlanta and I saw a whole shop display window of this bizarre look at a store named Club Monaco.
    I don't get it. Pretty nice from the waist up and then it all comes crashing down.

Really? Suit jacket, not sportscoat?

I don't mind jeans with a sportcoat if it's the right sportcoat, but I can't imagine they're letting RL salespeople wear a suit coat with jeans.

A lot of the rest of it is affected (no socks, those godawful rolled-up pants in that picture you guys keep making my eyes bleed with, the overtight vest, and the uber-spread collar) but I think they mean for you only to take it half so far.

18. kennethpollock

kennethpollock Senior member

I wonder what people would think of reversing the look; making the top part nasty and the bottom half great:
    Maybe a baseball cap, paired with a wife beater, worn above Savile Row bespoke grey flannel chalk striped suit trousers, English clocked silk charcoal socks and John Lobb black captoes?

19. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

It's called the Trepanier (tm).

[​IMG]

I saw this guy yesterday... and he does dress exactly like that when walking around town. I was like wtf???? This guy looks like he stepped out of a J.Crew catalog.

Although... to be fair... he is a tall guy and well put together.

20. ohm

ohm Senior member

I think it's more because his jeans are lowrise.

I think you're right, and the bottom button may also be unbuttoned.