Does anyone get mocked for over-dressing at work?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NeedStyleHelp, Jul 24, 2013.

1. NeedStyleHelp

NeedStyleHelp Senior member

I know I said to keep the comments nice, but...

Boy, I hope you have aspergers. Otherwise, there's no excuse for not detecting this sarcasm.

You've come here trying to be a douche. Congratulations, you have succeeded. Now, if you have nothing more to say, go back to your pathetic life. Enjoy!

2. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Do you work at Metro Hall by any chance?

3. NeedStyleHelp

4. BrooksLauren77

[​IMG] My bad, I meant to say Toronto City Hall. My mother is a law clerk there (or somewhere else I'm not sure exactly) and she can get away with a T-shirt and khakis. She says the lawyers there aren't the best dressers either.

5. SuitRowCharles

SuitRowCharles Member

Honestly, keep doing it. It makes you who you are and what your seeing from others is their own lack of effort or style.

I have this everyday when I go out and about doing banking, odd jobs etc here in the UK and I own my own tailoring company...and still get grief.

Hold your head up high and you may find people start to follow you.

6. BrooksLauren77

I say keep doing it as long as you dont come off as a pompous ass or an arrogant prick. If people still say something, just wear a sport coat, no tie, and nice chinos/wool pants.

7. NeedStyleHelp

BrooksLauren77: No worries, but not there either. A lawyer at my work was wearing sneakers today.

SuitRowCharles: Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll tone down on the ties, although it gets rid of a fun element to incorporate.

8. BrooksLauren77

With a suit? [​IMG] That's even worse than wearing a suit with square toe shoes. [​IMG]

9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

[​IMG]

10. BrooksLauren77

[​IMG]

11. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

I haven't followed all the subsequent posts, but to the OP, I simply do not understand these threads.

You need to work out whether you want to indulge what you "enjoy" or prioritise career development. If the latter, then why is this even a question? You should aim to fit in, be a team player, not risk being seen as putting on airs. For sure, dress well within the normal range for the workplace. But don't wear suits because it's what you enjoy.

12. lwmarti

lwmarti Senior member

The questioning comments almost always come from men and most of these conversations go something like this:

Random guy: Why are you wearing that suit [or whatever] today?
    Me: Have you noticed that all of the hot women in the office go out of their way to talk to me when I wear a suit [or whatever]?
    Random guy: Ah!

(I should mention that I'm an extremely senior guy who's fairly well-known in my industry. If I wasn't, then the comments about dressing to fit in definitely apply.)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013

13. allegrokev

allegrokev Active Member

Could also try taking it down a notch by sticking to patch pockets, soft shoulders, avoid french cuffs (or use silk knots), knitted tie. Well dressed without dressing like 'the boss'.

14. lwmarti

lwmarti Senior member

In my experience, subtleties like this are lost on almost everyone. A few weeks ago, I actually went out of my way to dress in a way that people here would think is fairly bad - a tie with no jacket, top button on the shirt unbuttoned, etc. And I received lots of toally non-sarcastic comments on how nice I looked. Just because I was wearing a &^%$#ing tie.

To give an extreme example of this, I remember someone (a government employee, actually) giving me a hard time because of the cheap polyester suit that I was wearing when I was actually wearing a Zegna Napoli Couture XXX suit that probably cost more than the crappy car that the government employee drove. (Nothing against government employees, of course. I used to be one.)

15. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

If it's really bothering you that much, get a new job where they dress better. Maybe they will pay you more too. :)