• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does anybody like WD-50?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Sorry if I keep coming back to this fried egg but LOOK !

cococarrot_egg_1.jpg

Doesn't this look like a fried egg ? Well.... he he... no dummy! it's actually some sweet carrot and coconut thingy. It's hilarious. I could have been tricked if the waiter didn't say "guys, this is a signature of ours, it looks like an egg but's a sweet carrot coconut thingy, enjoy"

they should have fired the waiter for that. Isn't part of the humor the surprise?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess not. They want to make sure you get the joke... just in case we didn't notice that it looked like an egg

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Philosoraptor-Looks-like-an-egg-or-is-it.jpg

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind mogas as long as it's used to enhance flavors or is done second to the taste of the dish. A place like the Minibar is more about the show. WD-50 seemed to be focusing a bit more on tastes and flavors, but lots of dishes and techniques were still done for show. Sometimes it seems like the chef is bored of making something the classical way and is simply using mogas to spice things up, while other times it feels like the chef genuinely is using the techniques to reinvent a dish for the better. Of course, because of this, there's the risk of having an larger number of courses fail.

blackjack

Reaction score
Hmmmm, I see they've omitted the pork loin with lime Jell-O.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
That said, in my 27 course meal at Alinea, there were still 2 or 3 courses that were on the edge of being gimmicky. Even then, none of those bad courses came close to the abomination that is your fried egg.
As I've said before, that (along with time) is why I usually go with the 12 course. It's improved a lot since Trio.. when he used to have : "virtual shrimp cocktail" - a binaca blast of shrimp essence and Exotic Chewing Gums But overall, Grant is playful, rather than gimmicky... and it's a big difference. I've never really wanted to spend my money at Moto (or GE for that matter, sorry Kwilk)

Smahatma

Reaction score
I've had both the dinner tasting menu and 5 course dessert tasting menu on multiple occasions (about 3 times each) as well as a la carte dining a few times over the last ~2 years. It's quite the eclectic mix of items. There were a few items that were quite outstanding, most were very good but not outstanding, and some were down right appalling, to my palate at least (don't ******* put balsamic vinegar into a vanilla ice cream and raspberry streudel dessert). The deconstructed eggs benedict is possibly the best item on the menu. Yes, there are fried cubes of hollandaise. The dessert menu is quite nice, though the tasting menus tend to be very chocolate heavy. Don't eat a large dinner before attempting it, though they do offer a 3 course dessert tasting menu instead of 5. Also I disagree about Moto in Chicago being better than WD-50. For my money, in NYC, I would pick Momofuku Ko every time over WD-50. It's not really molecular gastronomy, but it's modern new American cuisine not all that far off from WD-50. Additionally, at only $125 for the 10 course dinner menu, it's a bargain compared to just about any tasting menu in the city. Reservations are hard to come by, but it's definitely my favorite fine dining joint in NYC (disclaimer: I haven't been to Per Se yet). The Michelin Guide seems to enjoy it as well.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
As I've said before, that (along with time) is why I usually go with the 12 course.

It's improved a lot since Trio.. when he used to have :

"virtual shrimp cocktail" - a binaca blast of shrimp essence

and

Exotic Chewing Gums

But overall, Grant is playful, rather than gimmicky... and it's a big difference. I've never really wanted to spend my money at Moto (or GE for that matter, sorry Kwilk)

He still does the exotic chewing gums... and they're delicious.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

You like Graham Elliot, right? I think Ron is crazy for not liking him.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I forgot he did away with the "scrap the trio menu" policy (thankfully, b/c the black truffle explosion needs to exist in perpetuity)
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You like Graham Elliot, right? I think Ron is crazy for not liking him.
I just haven't been inclined to go to his restaurant. I have heard multiple times that it's more miss than hit.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
I forgot he did away with the "scrap the trio menu" policy (thankfully, b/c the black truffle explosion needs to exist in perpetuity)

I just haven't been inclined to go to his restaurant. I have heard multiple times that it's more miss than hit.

Avenues was great. GE is fun but not of the same level.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads