• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does Alan Flusser make RTW?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The few Alan Flusser sportcoats I have run into while thrifting are fused and made in China. Might just be some odd pieces, but IMO, thumbs down on quality.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
The few Alan Flusser sportcoats I have run into while thrifting are fused and made in China. Might just be some odd pieces, but IMO, thumbs down on quality.

That pretty much settles it.

Rolo

Reaction score
Alan Flusser RTW is a Steinmart house brand.

Quality is what you'd expect for "popularly priced" items. Maybe a little better. I must admit that I've really liked the fabric on some of the sports coats.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steinmart carries alot of stuff. Inexpensive and some nice options IMO. While not up to forum standards, I will say the two items I own are proving to be durable, comfortable and get compliments.

A cream colored silk cotton sport coat.

hidden buttondown collar shirt.

Chances are good that I'll buy more at the prices they are offered.

pejsek

Reaction score
Well, now, hang on just a minute. I think it will provoke no argument to suggest that Flusser has had a varied business profile. And right now there seems to be a glut of Flusser-branded mediocrity on ebay. But at least at times in the past there has been some very high-quality AF rtw--made in the same cuts and cloth and up to the same standards as the mtm/bespoke (not going to wade into that debate) line. I have a wonderful old shetland tweed jacket in my closet marked Alan Flusser for Neiman Marcus that truly is straight out of the AA/A&S fantasy. I'll try to post a picture in a bit if I get time. My guess is that if you were patient you could land some real AF steals on ebay; of course the price you would pay would be weeks of wading through the bad stuff.

pejsek

Reaction score
Okay, here is the jacket. Notice how straight out of the 1930s it is--right down to the three-button front rolling to the bottom button. It also--true to period form--seems to weigh several pounds. The tweed is exceptionally beautiful, so it really is a pity that the jacket is too big for me. I suppose I should try and find it a good home one of these days.
dsc00242xp2.jpg

This picture of the hacking pockets gives a better sense of the colors and textures.
dsc00241ph7.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's Alan Flusser and then there's Alan Flusser Custom Shop. The latter is of very high quality.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Okay, here is the jacket. Notice how straight out of the 1930s it is--right down to the three-button front rolling to the bottom button. It also--true to period form--seems to weigh several pounds. The tweed is exceptionally beautiful, so it really is a pity that the jacket is too big for me. I suppose I should try and find it a good home one of these days.
dsc00242xp2.jpg

This picture of the hacking pockets gives a better sense of the colors and textures.
dsc00241ph7.jpg

worship.gif
worship.gif
worship.gif

pejsek, your thrift genius knows no limit.

pejsek

Reaction score
texas_jack, the jacket you linked to really has little to do with Flusser (so there's no sense in buying it for the name). If you're interested in Flusser, this is the sort of label you should be looking for:

dsc00246iq2.jpg

The Flusser rtw may actually be the purest expression of the Flusser aesthetic (since, unlike the mtm, there are no pesky customer decisions which might interfere with the final product). I'd say it's probably worth hunting down if you like the approach.
Thanks for the kind words, whacked. I give it my best!

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
This is the one i was looking at. I think it falls in the Steinmart range.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4187&rd=1&rd=1

I think this says it all:
55% SILK / 15% WOOL / 30% POLY ...

This is definitely the Steinmart range. Some of them are not bad looking, but they are definitely in another universe from the garments he writes about. They are made in Vietnam, IIRC.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Hacking Ticket?

That doesn't seem very traditional...

pejsek

Reaction score
Tradition is a can of worms. But I think it's fair to say the Savile Row style has exhibited more diversity over the years than it is commonly given credit for. Would Churchill's jumpsuit be considered traditional? I'm not really into giving demerits for violations of tradition; that way seems ultimately sterile. And I think whether or not you're interested in Flusser probably comes down to how much you're willing to share his reverent (but idiosyncratic) fantasy of a long-departed Golden Age of Anderson & Sheppard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads