Does age matter?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Tom

Tom Senior member

They're...Their...There

Each of them has a different meaning. It's a pet peeve of mine. Sorry for airing it here... sort of.

As for suits, if you like how it looks in the mirror, that's a plus. if the girlfiend doesn't like it, that's a minus. My personal strategy is letting my lady friends "veto" my choice, but I will not let them pick anything out in it's stead.

-Tom

2. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

Recently I have been wearing those mandarin collared kung-fu jackets, and got similar remarks (and a lot of stares from passers-by) about it from my parents, since nobody wears them often now (they were, I think, of the Qing dynasty) and the people only wear them for kung-fu or oriental-themed events. But I was not dissuaded, though. [​IMG] WJTW

3. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

Tom--Goodness. "It's"?

4. WJTW

WJTW Well-Known Member

And I hope 'girlfiend' was a typo. [​IMG] WJTW

5. Heron

Heron Well-Known Member

LOL. That's one of the funniest posts I've read in any forum in a long time.

I'm very curious though - the source of "friction" between men and the women that accompany them to a clothing establishment - what are most of the arguements about?

Is it the style vs. fashion issue primarily or is it something else?

I know that when I've tried to discuss some of the excellent posts on this forum with my significant other she just looks at me with a blank stare and then starts talking about going to a local men's store that I already know don't carry the lines recommended here.

6. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Nice freudian slip, heh. koji

7. ROT

ROT Senior member

Why, of all people, I would chooe to quote Adam Ant at this juncture is beyond me. But.... "We don't follow fashions/that'd be a joke. You know we're gonna set them/ set them/so everyone can take note..."

I learned long ago not to trust my beloved wife with choosing clothing for me. Try as she might, her highly educated mind just doesn't "get" men's clothing. But she freely admits that on our first date she was mightly intrigued by the guy who mixed patterns to such good effect. I was wearing a glen plaid, three-piece suit, herringbone socks, pencil-striped shirt, spotted tie, and patterned pocket square to the best of my recollection. I was 28...... . Oh, did I mention that I'd run out to buy myself a boutonnier before meeting her?

Find a good tailor and trust yourself to know what looks good on you. The confidence a fine suit will impart sends signals that will blow the dockers and golf-shirted competition clean out of the running.

8. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

heron
    Thank you.
    He wants white and blue because he sees them as unarguably male - and always correct. She wants yellow and pink because she knows that her 'manly' man can carry it off and look great in those colors. He's not so sure about that. She wants white and blue because she sees them as unarguably male - and always correct. He wants yellow and pink because he knows that he can carry off the 'manly man' and look great in those colors. She's not so sure about that (or at least that's what I assumed when she doubled over, laughing so hard she was crying). I can't really go on (I'm laughing too hard remembering some of this absurdity), but you get the drift. Ask her what colors she would like you to wear. Ask her at dinner, after a few glasses of pinot grigio. Remember what she says. Then give her a credit card and send her to Prada. Go to your shirtmaker and tailor alone - and if you want fewer 'honeydo days' and more 'honey let's do' nights, buy a couple of her favorite colors as well. Whoa. Does this post make me sound like a chauvanist, or what? I take it all back. Send her to Prada. Tell her to use her own damn credit card.

9. dandersson

dandersson Member

LOL. [​IMG]

10. Horace

Horace Senior member

I notice that you're in the US. Here we have, it would appear, an infatuation with youth (in the most superficial sense -- though also in a profound (and I think disturbing) sense too) in a way that I haven't seen in other cultures.

I don't want to launch a discussion of it here, but I would say that if a suit is conservative and timeless, how can you go wrong, regardless of how old it makes you in the eyes of some?

11. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

For what it's worth:

I bought this dress in the fall and brought it home. My husband said there was "something wrong with the collar". I said: "That's the style, it's a fifties look." But I usually trust his judgement, so I returned the dress. Two weeks ago, I did the sales, and there was the dress, half off. I bought it. Again.

Merci, mon amour.

12. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

They're...Their...There

Each of them has a different meaning. It's a pet peeve of mine. Sorry for airing it here... sort of.

As for suits, if you like how it looks in the mirror, that's a plus. if the girlfiend doesn't like it, that's a minus. My personal strategy is letting my lady friends "veto" my choice, but I will not let them pick anything out in it's stead.

-Tom

This should be "its," not "it's." I would not have pointed this out on this thread, but since you were right about the homonyms, I thought you would want to know.

13. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Tom--Goodness. "It's"?

Good point--didn't see it before my post.

14. cardguy

cardguy Senior member

Some good examples of "young-looking" window-pane jackets. Doesn't look like there's anything inherently old-mannish about it. I think most would agree that fit is key.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. otacon

otacon Senior member

Connery's James Bond wore glen plaid, for whatever it might be worth.