Does age matter?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Dec 6, 2004.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

I was shopping for a suit with my mother and girlfriend yesterday and i was looking for something different from my 4 other suits so i was trying on window pane and glenplaid suits and well almost everyone i tried on they kept commenting on how it made me look like an "old man."  I am only 20 and i look pretty young and had to end up buying the only suit they thought didn't make me look "old" (a HF navy w/light blue pinstripes).  I have sort of felt this way about most non solid sport jackets, i really don't wear any cause they always seem like something my dads generation is wearing to work.  I was wondering if anyone else thinks that you have to be a certain age to pull of certain suit styles?  Cause i really like the window pane suits but now i don't know if i could pull them off.

Nik

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I am tempted to say that since you were unwise enough to go shopping with not one but two women, you got what you deserved, but that would be unhelpful.

Sure, there are things you can wear that will make you look like a fuddy duddy, but glen plaid and windowpane are not among them. Windowpane or box plaid is very sharp. I don't think of it as either young or old, but simply "dandified". It stands out, and is a little less versatile, but it's a great look.

3. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

I'm 22, I only own one suit, and it is windowpaned. Go for it.

Dan

4. Eric

Eric Senior member

Don't listen to others, trust your own sense of style.

When I started wearing Corduroy, and Camel blazers a few years ago, people laughed, some still do. But what do they know.

When I started wearing V-neck tee shirts, people laughed, "you look like my grandpa". But what do they know.

My newsboy caps, my seude elbows on blazers, any Herringbone I always get the "you look like an old man." jokes. But if they don't get it, oh well.

For every 2 that joke, 1 will compliment. And its not even about that, its about dressing well how you want to, when you want to.

Ignore them, thats my 2 cents.

Eric

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

I think it really depends on what you wear it with/how you wear it.

If you wear a glen-plaid jacket one size too big, sleeves too long, with a blue button-collar oxford, early 90's patterned tie, black pleated dockers, and black leather velcro 'old people' shoes, then of course it would look silly. Actually, this example was taken straight from one of the outfits a professor of mine would wear.

However, get a nice glen-plaid suit in a warm gray (some beige-y tones) that fits well in the shoulders and is nipped at the waist in a high 2-button stance or a 3-button with lapel rolled to the second button. Pair it with a soft blue spread collar French-cuff shirt and a pair of vintage links, a nice tie, a pocket square to compliment the look, and finish it off with a pair of antiqued brown lace-ups, and you're good to go. In style.

6. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

#1 don't go shopping with women

#2 if you must, at least don't ask them for advice

#3 if they give you advice anyway, don't pay attention to them

#4 buy and wear whatever YOU like

7. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

When one of my male clients enters my establishment, I go over to greet them and shoot the breeze.

When one of my male clients enters my establishment with a woman who appears to be his wife, or girlfriend, I wait 20 minutes. Then, having allowed time for them to look at fabrics and finish their argument, I go over to greet them and shoot the breeze.

When one of my male clients enters my establishment with a woman who appears to be his mother, I wait an hour. Then, having allowed time for them to look at fabrics I go over to greet them and join in the inevitable argument.

When one of my male clients enters my establishment with two woman who appear to be his mother and his wife or girlfriend, I go into the bathroom, jump in, and pull the flush lever.

8. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

[​IMG] live and learn.

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

no, age does not matter. at all. Wear what makes you feel comfortable. There was some thread here about 3-piece suits only being for 40-year olds. Nope. Timeless, traditional fashion knows no age limits.

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

See, I wish more people would think that way. Unfortunately, it just seems like the truly style-conscious populous (aka the Forum) that represents about 1% of the male population feels this way. And no, despite popular college belief, I do not consider someone who shops exclusively at Abercrombie and Hollister, and 'dresses up' with clothing from The Gap to be style-conscious.

11. demeis

demeis Senior member

Thanks for the responses, i am still gonna look for a glen plaid suit or window pane cause i really like them. As for going shopping with women, usually my girlfriend isn't to bad and i don't mind and well my mom was their to buy the suit. Well i learned my lesson on bringing them along probibly won't happen again at least not for awhile.

12. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I never go shopping for suits with women. Too much of a hassle, too "fashion" oriented as opposed to "style" oriented. I either go alone, or sometimes go with my father/brother/buddies (in that order of preference).

Otherwise, you'll get exactly what happened to demeis....

as for windowpane/glen plaid/prince of wales - yes, anybody can pull that off. they're timeless classics.

13. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

[​IMG] NEVER, EVER HAVE A WOMAN MAKE A CLOTHING DECISION FOR YOU. Who is wearing the clothes, you or her? Eventually, when you have confidence you can bring along your wife who can be helpful regarding certain issues of color and fit. However, again, she is only there in an advisory capacity. You, and you alone, make the decisions. Otherwise you are doomed to a revolving wardrobe of big shoulders one year, small shoulders the next year, wide lapels one year, and no lapels the next year. The key considerations are quality, fit, and styling. It is better to go with a make who you trust. The nonesense that glen plaid or window panes make you look old is NONESENSE. By gawd, these patterns will be around long after you and I have shuffled off from this mortal coil. End of sermon.

14. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

My glen plaid is probably my second or third most well used suit. I consistently get compliments on it. It's just a fused Burberrys from ebay and it doesn't even fit me as well as my others, but it looks sharp. If you get one, be sure to get one that's not cut like a sack of potatoes. And try to go for British detailing if possible, like side vents. Although for a country suit the center vent is also correct (for when you ride your horse).

Try it with a white pinpoint oxford shirt with a wide spread collar and a narrowish black knit wool or silk tie. Prepare to hear "why are you looking so sharp?" from women you don't know.

Edit: BTW, I'm 25 and I've been wearing it for 3 years now, always to good effect.

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I completely agree. Never, ever, ever go shopping with girls for serious stuff, because how a girl sees an item on a rack is how they decide if they like it or not (for dudes, I mean), but if you find something that you KNOW is good (based on research at the Styleforum of course), and you wear it in front of women, they will flock to you and begin begging for sex