• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does a size 40 double long jacket exist?

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
So I have a 40 inch chest, and I'm perusing the internet and looking in stores for some sport coats/blazers, and I notice that most of the measurements online for a jacket have the sleeve length come out to about 35.5 or 36 inches.

I've been told that a jacket should show about a quarter to half an inch of sleeve, and I have a 37 inch sleeve length. Do I have to go bespoke? Is showing an inch to an inch and a half fine? Does a size 40 double long exist, so that the sleeve length would be closer to what I need?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be comfortable showing an inch of shirt cuff, but not much more. If it looks pretty bad (i.e. more than half your shirt cuff is showing), then get a slightly shorter shirt sleeve. It will save you from needing totally custom jackets (I've never seen a 40XL). However, if you can swing the cost of custom, you should consider it seriously.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
How much are fully custom jackets? On the low end vs the high end? All I've seen is from Michael Andrews Bespoke, and I have no price estimate for that.

div25sec9

Reaction score
how much too short are the sleeves? You can always get the sleeves let down a bit. You can usually get up to an inch longer just by tailoring, sometimes longer if they lengthen the liner.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Well I'm a 37 sleeve, and most the jackets I've seen online are around 35.5 inches in the sleeve length. Given that I'm browsing online mostly, I dont' know how much is available to be let out =(. Hopefully enough, but I can't be sure.

div25sec9

Reaction score
37 jacket sleeve? ..or 37 inch shirt sleeve? 37 in the jacket is going to be hard to find; you'd probably be better off going to a brick and mortar store where you can find out how much is available to let...

Tweedy

Reaction score
Just to be sure, are you measuring from the shoulder seam to cuff end? How tall are you, 37" sleeve length seems extremely long ....:)

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's called extra long 40XL and I have seen them, but only from really large RTW manufacturers.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Samuelsohn has XL (extra long) sizes. I don't know of a store that carries them RTW, but I have a MTM jacket that is based on a 40XL size.

Edit: www.paulstuart.com has XT (extra tall) sizes in RTW jackets and suits, though I would want to try on before I bought. They might actually be made by Samuelsohn.

Last edited:

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't specify my measuring convention. I'm new at this so I'm just basing off of my shirt sleeve length, which I got from measuring from halfway across the shoulders to the end of the sleeve. I thought this was the way that sleeve length was measured, am I wrong?

For Tweedy: the 40 L jacket that you have is listed at 26" sleeves with 18.5" shoulders, so that would be a 35.5" sleeve how I calculated it.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never understood why manufacturers measure shirts from the middle of the back to the sleeve. It's only vaguely accurate, but who wants shoulders to hang off your shoulder. Hence I never buy OTR shirts. They should give shoulder and sleeve measurements and go from there. Imagine OTR makers selling shirts by collar, shoulder and sleeve measurements.

How tall are you? I'm 6'2" and my jacket sleeves from outside shoulder seam to cuff are usually around 25.5".

I'd say entry level custom jackets run around $1000 in USA.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
most manufacturers have size 40 extra long hanging on the rack in their pattern room.
but if the retailer does not order it for his stock, you will never see it.

suit sleeves can be lengthened 1 inch easily .
many can be lengthened 1and 3/4 inches by adding cloth on the inside.
if you order a pre owned garment check to see if it has been previously altered.

if you go to an extra long for the sleeve length, know this.
that the body length also gets longer usually 1inch to 1and 1/2 inches longer.
shortening the coat hem is much more costly than lengthening the sleeves.

sns23

Reaction score
If your shirt is 37" and jackets are 35.5", then one inch of tailoring brings it to a perfect 36.5.

Last edited:

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
I'm going in to a tailor friday to remeasure myself, and I'll be sure to figure out my actual sleeve length.

To sns23, is it reasonable to assume that most OTR jackets are able to let out an inch on the sleeves?

sns23

Reaction score
You should be able to get 1" out of nearly all jackets.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads