• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does a little polyester help cotton garments hold shape?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of lightweight cotton pants that had 3% polyester in them. Can I assume this is to help them hold their shape and not stretch out the way other lightweight cotton garments can? This was my impression, and given that a 31 was a little too tight from the seat down and a 32 was just a bit large in the waistband I opted for the 32 since, unlike jeans, these won't stretch further in the waist, or stretch to fit in the leg (if I bought the smaller size). However, if I'm wrong about that probably better to know now while I can still exchange.

tgt465

Reaction score
Polyester is typically used to help hold shape, as you suggest. But I doubt 3% is going to do a whole lot.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Polyester does normally help to hold the shape, but 3% is a pretty small amount in any case. A few shirts I have that hold good shape are 25% polyester and the best they achieve is a little less creasing.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about holding shape as my 100% cotton pants hold their shape quite well anyway. I think the 3% polyester just helps with comfort - especially if you wear them fairly slim and fitted (read: nut hugging). I have a shirt I wear casually (read: like a douche) that has 3% lycra and the difference in the stretchiness of the fabric is very noticeable.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
I don't know about holding shape as my 100% cotton pants hold their shape quite well anyway. I think the 3% polyester just helps with comfort - especially if you wear them fairly slim and fitted (read: nut hugging). I have a shirt I wear casually (read: like a douche) that has 3% lycra and the difference in the stretchiness of the fabric is very noticeable.

Polyester doesn't add stretch, I thought if anything it added rigidity. I agree about lycra, and I would have much preferred these to have 3% of that.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No but 2/3% in jeans is just about acceptable at a push.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To save on cotton costs?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
To save on cotton costs?

3%?

I vote to hold shape. They also purposely kept the poly percent low so the product doesnt seem cheap

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
3%?

I vote to hold shape. They also purposely kept the poly percent low so the product doesnt seem cheap

Cost saving is possible. 3% can be a significant cost saving on products made in high volumes and low margins. Items sold at $102 per unit costing $100 to produce - a saving of 2% in cost means a doubling of gross profit there.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Items sold at $102 per unit costing $100 to produce

Does something like that even exist? clothing mark up is usually something ridiculously huge. I have never heard of this sort of mark up before

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does something like that even exist? clothing mark up is usually something ridiculously huge. I have never heard of this sort of mark up before
I think the point was that in general, when margins are low, even a little savings on cost can dramatically increase your profits as compared to pre-savings. This doesn't necessarily have to do with clothing. But, even though the markup paid by the customer is huge, there are other steps along the way where that may not be the case.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 25% or more, I would say cost savings. 3% poly is actually more cumbersome to manufacture than even 100% cotton.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The numbers are for illustration only, though it should not be beyond belief. And I chose per unit as to keep things more open as it can mean a crate of items etc. The 'ridiculous' mark up occurs between the retailer and the consumer as that markup covers all the marketing costs including placing the product in the correct market position. The markup between the initial manufacturer of the item when unbranded to the next step in the chain can very well be very low.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads