• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does 1" length make a large difference in a sportcoat?

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm 5'8" and usually wear short suits/sportcoats.

During the Mr. Porter sale, I grabbed a 38R RLBL linen navy sportcoat. It fits perfectly for the shoulders and needs probably only slight waist suppression. However, the length seems too long.

Measuring them out, it is 30" from BoC while my 38S RLBL coats are 29". Does 1 inch make a huge difference? I wouldn't think so theoretically, but visually the 38R seems way too long even though it is only 1" longer? Is it b/c the button stance is also lower?

I can't place what it is. I really want to keep the sportcoat since it is rare to find RLBL solid navy on sale, but it looks kind of odd. Also, what do you think about trying to shorten it? I think it might not work though b/c of the low button stance on RLBL?

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes it makes a difference and you are realizing this is so.

cnyman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm new to this one, so a visual reference would be helpful.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it makes a difference since 1" is generally the difference between a 'short' and a 'regular'.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might be able to 'get away with it' and it depends on your body measurements, specifically lengths of arms, torso, and legs.

A pic would be helpful.

Last edited:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're planning on selling it, send me a PM.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One inch longer is better than one inch shorter in the skirt.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The single inch seems to make a huge difference, didn't think it would.

If you're planning on selling it, send me a PM.

Probably going to just return it to Mr. Porter rather than selling it.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
most of the time, all the elements will be proportional. so the narrowest part of the waist and waist button (and maybe sleeves and skirt) will move down the longer the jacket gets. so shortening will only make that button and waist look lower than it already is on the Anthony model RLBL. I've shortened jackets before with some success, but it really depends where the middle button is located. with a higher button stance jacket, shortening can actually make it look a little more balanced.

here's a quick Foo-style visual. RLBL "regular" on the left. About an inch hacked off the skirt on the right. Not horrible, but a little low looking:

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it does, this thing is not the correct size for you.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 A inch makes a difference
6241.gif

As any honest woman will tell you.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ :lol: winner! end of thread ....

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

most of the time, all the elements will be proportional. so the narrowest part of the waist and waist button (and maybe sleeves and skirt) will move down the longer the jacket gets. so shortening will only make that button and waist look lower than it already is on the Anthony model RLBL. I've shortened jackets before with some success, but it really depends where the middle button is located. with a higher button stance jacket, shortening can actually make it look a little more balanced.
here's a quick Foo-style visual. RLBL "regular" on the left. About an inch hacked off the skirt on the right. Not horrible, but a little low looking:

Thanks for this. I actually like the way the shorter jacket looks with the low stance.

minervau

Reaction score
I'm 5'8" and I actually find most RLBL 38Rs to fit pretty well in length. This sportcoat is 30" long? That seems longer than the 38Rs I've seen, which were mostly 29.5" or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads