• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doctor Who

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"Let's go face this alien menace but first I need my insulin shot."

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"No, I don't have a guitar. That's a patriarchal symbol of male oppression and European domination. I have a didjeroodoo."

I don't care how it's spelled.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trigger Warnings:Genocide. White male alien privilege. Time travel. Reverse time travel. Objectification of women.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/22/500549/

Crying shame. Based on everything I've heard about the behind the scenes antics - budget cuts, etc. - the fact that this show gets on the air at all is a miracle. The fact that they just did quite possibly the best, and smartest, two seasons of the show - ever, is astounding. SM has done some incredible work on DW, and his partnership with Peter Capaldi is amazing. They clearly bring out the best in one another. (PC is honestly the best actor to ever take on the part.) I will definitely miss his intelligent approach to the storytelling, and his hard work behind the scenes.

Some of the reactions I've seen to this story online have been mind numbly bad. People claiming Who has gone down hill and is garbage right now? Really? The last season with Peter has been easily the most solid of NuWho. Nothing's even come close and I'm saying that as a huge Matt fan. I feel like Who fans for all their talk about how they love the show for embracing change can't handle it when it comes. Everyone gets too hung up on their past shows.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pic of new Doctor released:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hope we get our first female or black Doctor soon, if just to see Harvey's head explode.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sleeves345

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised, since the first male/female regeneration just happened with Missy. I figured they would give it some more time before they did the same thing with the Doctor. But I'm not opposed to it, and as long as Jodie can act well I'll be pleased.

I'm mostly bummed because I'm not ready for Capaldi to leave. I think he's been brilliant as the Doctor, but wasn't able to truly shine due to bad writing. Yes, the show has been improving this past season and a half, and the concepts are clever, and the stories are usually pretty good, but I think the actual writing (dialog, exposition, and even some of the story resolutions) has been bad. I would have liked to see Capaldi overlap with a new writer/producer.

Oh well, good luck to the new crew!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm mostly bummed because I'm not ready for Capaldi to leave. I think he's been brilliant as the Doctor, but wasn't able to truly shine due to bad writing. Yes, the show has been improving this past season and a half, and the concepts are clever, and the stories are usually pretty good, but I think the actual writing (dialog, exposition, and even some of the story resolutions) has been bad. I would have liked to see Capaldi overlap with a new writer/producer.

My favourite of the "new" Doctors is Tennant, but I do like Capaldi. I know that it's subjective, but I agree that the plots and other recent material hasn't been that great. To my mind, Doctor Who's storylines have tended to be too dark, and too self-important over the past few years. There's really only a finite number of times that someone can save the whole universe before it just gets tiring to watch! Plus, the allusions to the Doctor's name echoing down through time across a myriad of worlds because he's a saviour gets rather tiring, too.

I'd appreciate a bit more lightness, in the style of the old Jon Pertwee/Tom Baker series.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jodie Whittaker is a solid actress, most important feature IMHO. Looking forward to seeing how she does as the doctor.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised, since the first male/female regeneration just happened with Missy. I figured they would give it some more time before they did the same thing with the Doctor. But I'm not opposed to it, and as long as Jodie can act well I'll be pleased.

Oh well, good luck to the new crew!

I thought Capaldi had some amazing episodes and credit should be given to the writers for them. Heaven Sent was easily one of the best we have seen from NuWho. It's put it up there with Blink in rankings. He's also given some amazingly acted and well written speeches like the ones at the end of the The Zygon Inversion and The Doctor Falls. I agree he had some stinker episodes, but all Doctors do.

I'd have like to see him carry over to the new show runner too, but it looks like they decided to clean house with the transition and start fresh.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My favourite of the "new" Doctors is Tennant, but I do like Capaldi. I know that it's subjective, but I agree that the plots and other recent material hasn't been that great. To my mind, Doctor Who's storylines have tended to be too dark, and too self-important over the past few years. There's really only a finite number of times that someone can save the whole universe before it just gets tiring to watch! Plus, the allusions to the Doctor's name echoing down through time across a myriad of worlds because he's a saviour gets rather tiring, too.

I'd appreciate a bit more lightness, in the style of the old Jon Pertwee/Tom Baker series.

It's funny, but given the history of the new showrunner a lot of people are predicting the new series will be anything but light.

Sleeves345

Reaction score
I thought Capaldi had some amazing episodes and credit should be given to the writers for them. Heaven Sent was easily one of the best we have seen from NuWho. It's put it up there with Blink in rankings. He's also given some amazingly acted and well written speeches like the ones at the end of the The Zygon Inversion and The Doctor Falls. I agree he had some stinker episodes, but all Doctors do.

I'd have like to see him carry over to the new show runner too, but it looks like they decided to clean house with the transition and start fresh.

Granted, the writers certainly deserve credit for the good episodes. And no quibbles that there were plenty of good episodes throughout. But I feel like on the whole, the writing was the weakest part of the last few series.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Granted, the writers certainly deserve credit for the good episodes. And no quibbles that there were plenty of good episodes throughout. But I feel like on the whole, the writing was the weakest part of the last few series.

I felt like this last series with Bill wasn't all that strong on the whole. I will give you that. But series 9? It was outstanding. I'd argue with anyone that Capaldi's 2nd year/series as the Doctor was one of the strongest of all of NuWho. So many amazing moments and episodes. Matt Smith's first year was still the best, but Capaldi's 2nd deserves a mention in any top 5 for NuWho.

I take it you are a Russell T Davies guy? I loved his work with Tennant as much as the next guy. Tons of memorable episodes, but I also feel like people have far founder memories of the overall strength of RTD's writing then he probably deserved. When I go back and rewatch the 9th and 10th Doctor's runs I find myself reminded of this fact. He had plenty of stinkers too.

Anyways, that's the great thing about WHo isn't it? Something for everyone and if any given Doctor's run isn't for you, it's not like you have long to wait till something different comes along. :cheers:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads