1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Rory has actually had a fairly interesting character arc. It reminds me in a way of Wesley from Buffy and Angel fame. He started out fairly incompetent and bumbling and managed to get his shit together. Sure it's not nearly as strong and arc, but the similarities are there and has been fun to watch.

I truly do love Amy. She's adorable. River? Not so much.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Amy's been all over the map -- sexpot, warrior woman, cynic, indifferent mother, etc. I like her because Karen brings a lot of charm to the part, but unless the upcoming eps are incredible, the character will depart without having lived up to its potential.

3. barims

barims Senior member

What a great episode. Non-zany Smith performing as impeccably as ever, with each companion giving it their all. And even amidst the gloom, Moffat still managed to pack some measure of wit in. All was rather redolent of his first season classic, "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances", albeit with the investment of two seasons' character and plot development. And there were twists

The Dalek nostalgia angle was wasted, that said, but this is still their most effective use since the Eccleston season

4. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

5. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I don't know why but the "Demon's Run" episode is one that will always epitomise Smith's tenure.

It was a flawed episode but it somehow conveyed anguish, doubt and fear that you know must be present in a million-year-old-time-lord-warrior, but has to be kept at bay because of his role in life.

Not to mention the fact that the poem;

Demons run when a good man goes to war
    Night will fall and drown in sun
    When a good man goes to war
    Friendship dies and true love lies
    Night will fall and the dark will rise
    When a good man goes to war
    Demons run but count the cost
    The battles won but the child is lost

Is as close as I can come to a modern nursery rhyme that I could actually tell the kids.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Eh, that was boring. I was kind of hoping Egwenne would be the new companion. Ah well.

7. Jr Mouse

Oh wow. Rambo didn't care for it. Who would have guessed?

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

[​IMG]

9. Jr Mouse

I did enjoy the new episode. You can tell the production values are getting even better with this season. I wonder if they got a boost in their budget because of the new found success they are having in the USA?

It did feel more "self contained" then the older episodes, but we won't be able to get a real feel for this until a few more in. I'm going to be somewhat disappointed if there is no real arc to follow.

Some quick SPOILER filled thoughts.
    Have to give them props for keeping Jenna-Louise Coleman's appearance in the episode a secret. No one was expecting the new companion to make an appearance so soon. My absolutely jaw dropped when I saw her face.

Did anyone notice her name in this episode was Oswin instead of the rumored name Clara? Could be a hint to how they will reconcile how the Doctor left her in this episode to her eventually joining him full time on the show.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

wait, so she is the new companion?

11. Jr Mouse

Yes sir. That's the actress who will be taking over once the Ponds are gone. Her first official episode as the new companion will be this year's Christmas Special.

The real question is how we get from her fate in AOTD to the point were she joins the Doctor.

I have an interesting theory that she may end up making small cameos in each episode right up until the Christmas Special. They pulled it off this time and there is no reason to believe they couldn't do it again. Maybe the reasons for this will slowly unfold and it could be as close to an "arc" as we get this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jr Mouse

Apparently once she joins the show it's going to be a bit of a "reboot." In the sense that it will also change the Doctor and feel of the show slightly too. Makes sense as this happened with David's run too. Each companion brought with it a different feel to the overall series.

13. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Sounds like it could be good. I find it hard to believe that Moffat as a fan then as a writer would do something that damages the Doctor. He's proven himself to have a steady hand, and has overseen some good work.

The only thing I don't like is how he handles Celebrity episodes, they always feel a little too forced. Dr Who should always be acted by unknowns.

14. Jr Mouse

What do you mean "damages" the Doctor?

15. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Takes him in a direction that isn't either true to this versions character or isn't true to the overall arc of the doctor's existence. For example I couldn't imagine him writing the Doctor into a playboy or despot because it contrasts too heavily with his history.

I guess I just trust him to handle the character with care and respect in a way that writers don't always do.

16. Jr Mouse

Oh I wouldn't worry about that. It will still be the same creative team and same Doctor. Look for more of a slight change in tone. Go back and re-watch David's run. Same thing happened each time he switched companions. The show felt a little different, but nothing drastic to make it unrecognizable.

On a more boarder topic related to the show, how would you guys feel if they brought in a female Doctor after Matt? I know it was rumored when they announced David was leaving. I think it could be an interesting change and the episode The Doctor's Wife established that this is possible.

17. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I think its possible, even likely, my only reservation is that to work properly it would have to be a Zoe Deschenel type Manic Pixie Dream Girl thing. The tone for doctors has always been "quirky as fuck" but when you package that into an attractive girl it almost always becomes a whole new beast.

It would take careful writing and even more careful casting to find someone who could pull off Dr Who without stealing the show entirely.

18. Jr Mouse

Good post. Spot on with what I was thinking. Casting would be crucial, IMO.

19. Jr Mouse

Speaking of "The Doctors Wife," it looks like Neil Gaiman is set to write another episode of Doctor Who. This is fantastic news as not only was that one of the best episodes of the current Doctor, but he's easily one of the greatest living writers still working today. :)

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

gaiman is the man