1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Sleeves345

Sleeves345 Senior member

So, that was unexpected. Kind of came out of nowhere, and seems like one of the sadder endings for a companion. Usually they at least let them live. Or is this yet another fake-out?

Also, didn't we meet her descendants in another episode? There was an interview with Moffat that implied that those characters were "a different branch of the family," but that seems too convenient. Same as saying "it's just a coincidence," when it obviously wasn't.

I'm tired of Clara and want a new companion, but not like this...
    spoilered for plot-talk.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    My thoughts...

She's gone and no longer part of the show. I believe she's already signed a contract to start in another show, but I don't know the details. There are rumors that the BBC wasn't too happy with her dragging out her decision to return to the show last season as it caused them to have to pay for script re-writes to some that were being worked on under the assumption she was leaving. As the rumor mill goes when it came time to negotiate her contract again the BBC was ready to move on and didn't even try to get her to stay.

As for her ending, I enjoyed it. I like the fact that she died because she was too over confident in the Doctor and didn't think things through. Basically she screwed up and it cost her life.

I must admit that I do think it would have been more interesting if it came suddenly instead of being drawn out like it was. By this I mean she found out nothing was going to save her only moments before it happened and it came as a complete surprise to the Doctor as she suddenly died.

Overall loving this season. Been one of the strongest in years.

3. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Holy shit, that was a great episode last night.

I don't know who told Capaldi to button the top button of his shirt but that really annoys me. The only people who do that in real life are autists.

4. EFV

EFV Senior member

It's kind of a classic Mod thing.

5. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Yeah, I hate the look but it does have some fashion pedigree.

I don't know why, but I can't get passed the idea that PC sounds like he's reading a script. Whenever I saw other Doctors in interviews etc, they felt like they were just the Doctor in human clothes. Peter still hasn't been able to embody the character yet.

6. Sleeves345

Sleeves345 Senior member

I feel that sometimes, but I am inclined to think that's because he's so different from the last two actors. Tennant and Smith both played fairly happy-go-lucky doctors that got serious when they needed to be. Capaldi plays it way darker and when he gets silly, it feels affected. Also, he's gone back to the whole "humans are beneath me" schtick, which makes him less relatable.

How long is capaldi sticking around? He's in the 10th season, right? Tennant and Smith both did three, so we can expect this to be his last? I feel like he's still growing into the role and I'd like to see him stick around longer.

7. EFV

EFV Senior member

Yeah, I think they should just let Capaldi be a more serious doctor. John Hurt's short part as the "war doctor" was also serious (though still relatable).

I've just finished the first season of Marvel's Jessica Jones btw. It was really sweet seeing Tennant doing a completely different role. He's still my favourite doctor. A pretty good actor all in all.

8. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I've met him a couple of times at events, and he's a really nice guy. Shared a table with him at some charity thing, and he was much more into the stage acting than Doctor Who (though there were a number of other thesps at the table so maybe it was just a more prevalent topic).

9. Harold falcon

That might be one of the "longest" time loop plots I've seen. Obviously this has been done dozens of times. Run Lola Run, Blind Chance, Groundhog Day, Forest Gump, Time Crimes, TimeCop, an episode of TNG, X-files, Lost, GvsE, etc.

I recently saw a cheapo Indie film though that has a similar loop, Triangle. Pretty decent for cheapo sci-fi. Much better than typical Sci-Fi channel fare.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  10. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member

I've no doubt this will be a controversial statement, but last night's episode just finished the greatest season of Who since the re-launch. By this I mean the most solid. IMO it only had one weak episode, the Sandman monster of the week they ran. Otherwise everything was stellar. No other season in modern Who can say that. Not even close.

11. Harold falcon

Ugh, the other Time Lord who got killed regenerated from an old white man to a young black lesbian female. Here comes the Doctor as a Genderfluid Aboriginal in a wheelchair. Fucking give me a break.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member

Sorry Harve. Your female Doctor is coming. Deal with it.

13. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member

Season final spoilers.
    i love that at the start of the last episode the Doctor has a blank look on his face when talking to Claire in the Dinner. It's not something you pick up on in first viewing but is very obvious in repeat viewings of the episode.

14. Harold falcon

Oh for fuck's sake.

15. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member

It's Doctor Who. Any given Doctor will last 2 to 4 years and be replaced. A female regeneration wouldn't kill you and things will be back to the status quo soon enough.

16. Harold falcon

No, this is now the Doctor Who slide into degeneracy. I will not be watching a Doctor with Fibromyalgia and a Tumblr account.

17. Sleeves345

Sleeves345 Senior member

They already did two male-->female regenerations recently. Missy and that dude in the finale. This might be testing the waters for a female doctor later on, but I bet it'll be a while on down the road before we see it happen.

I felt it was a strong finish that left the story arc concluded, but with just enough loose ends dangling to tie into later events if needed. As they usually do.

1 person likes this.
  18. Harold falcon

The Master coming back as a woman was acceptable, he was so fucked from his regenerations and deaths that who knows what weird shit went on.

You put the Doctor in a bicycle helmet, I'm tuning out.

19. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member

I do think they are testing the waters. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it's part of Steven's big plan to do before he hows out.

20. PekingRoadHK

PekingRoadHK Senior member

I like Dr. Who. funny.

1 person likes this.