1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I agree about letting Moffatt have a crack at the new doctor. Either he will treat him as a whole new toy to play with or (hopefully not) continue with the same kind of stuff, which has got a little stale.

2. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Both you and Doc have rather hit it on the head. Moffat's focus has very much been on Matt as the Doctor and watching him be the 20th+ level unbeatable character in the room. Every season so far has been about gigantic, life altering events for the doctor and after a while it loses its sense of exigence. I'm not worried about what will happen on the fields of Trenzalore - regardless of knowing that Capaldi is coming up - because over the past three years he's continued to show us that no one is ever really in danger. Even when Amy and Rory were taken away by the angels... by that point the stakes had already been raised so high on the angels that they weren't scary any more. His work and style of direction for the show have started to become formulaic. Clara is a great example of this. The upcoming christmas special - in which all of Matt's enemies will come against him but some how he'll manage to cheat death and change his own future (again) - is another culmination of this. I'm sure it will be fun, and I'll watch it, but it's no longer as interesting as it was in the beginning.

Any and all vestige of the science in science fiction has also gone completely out the window. It's "the man in the box" who - when being written by moffat - will throw almost anything out there without justification besides "he's the doctor." Two of the best episodes of Matt Smith's tenure which buck this have been the ones that Neil Gaiman wrote. Both have had some sense of real danger for the doctor, which Moffat's stories have come to lack. One of the great things about going back to the old episodes before the doctor was all powerful - as he has become under Moffat - was that the doctor sensed that he could be in real danger. The ark in space conveys this well early on.

Aside from all of that though, the tone has just gotten monotonous. I think that Capaldi will be able to change that in some way, but Moffat's already set things up for a new grand adventure of finding Galifrey! Rescuing the time lords! Or maybe the others will be bad guys? Still, even with the 50th anniversary special, the doctor was greater and above all time lords already. "Only one man would be crazy enough" or something like that, right? What do you do when, rather than being an advanced alien with a magic box, you've become a god to whom the entire universe bends? With the science only playing into the setting these days, I've seen this story in enough D&D games and fantasy books to want something new from it, and I don't get that from Moffat. He has wonderful dialogue, but this story has gotten stale, and I don't see him changing the formula that's allowed him to build such a new fan following of Whovians, regardless of how intellectually shallow it has become.

Some of this is probably because I work with all of that wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff on a daily basis. It's part of what I do and I know just how cool the universe actually can be. Moffat seems to me to have abandoned this for the purpose of selling the entertainment that his audience likes - which is fine. It's the audience and do what they like. That said though, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive, and I feel like he's shied away from pushing them. He also has become one of the chief perpetuators of the "wouldn't it be cool if" sort of mentality in sci fi, regardless of whether or not there's any feasibility to it. He's stated in interviews that he doesn't care about these sorts of things, and I do. Part of the reason I've really been enjoying old who recently is that while still speculative and fantastic, it took a look at the aspirations and technologies of the time to build them out and explore them. New Who no longer does this. It works within the established paradigms and is not pushing anything. Actually, I think that's it. Steven doesn't push boundaries. He's become very safe, and I get bored with that.

I think this started to happen with Russel as well, and I think about the relationship that Steven's episodes - Blink, Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead - from that tenure had and how they were out of the mold of Russel's show, and I think part of it is also that Neil's episdoes have a very similar effect. I want to see Neil Gaiman run Doctor Who.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    He's already said he wants the 12th to be everything Matt's not. That's one reason he casted such an older man to play the Doctor. I expect the personality differences alone will cause the show to feel different.

Plus it allows them to write some good stories with Clara coming to grips with the fact the Doctor she's been traveling with is suddenly an old man.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Clara isn't a character so much as another of Moffatt's clever ideas. The actress is fine, but she has nothing to work with.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

FINE she is. But, yes, she really isn't much of a character. Then, which of the companions really is? Aside from Amy and Rory, the new Who companions have all been adolescent, unintelligent, damsels in distress, or getting the vapours. I liked Martha Jones because she was hot. I was ok with Rose because she was ok looking. Donna was a similar character, but more pathetic because she was in her 30's, not her 20's, but not all that pretty, so I ound how dumb she was really frustrating. Martha was dumb, and stricken with puppy love, but I didn't mind because she was hot. And when I think about it it's even more ridiculous because she was supposed to be a doctor. Aside from Amy/rory, Donna is probably the most complete, and realistic character among the companions. Tennant's sobbing after Rose was also pretty adolescent, and annoyed the crap out of me. I don't keep track of the writers like others do, so I'm not sure who is responsible for the things I don't like. Though I have enjoyed the couple of times that they have blatantly just made a ridiculous adventure and owned it, my favourite of those being dinosaurs on a space ship. The six year old boy in me asked why he had had to wait almost 25 years for that one.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jr Mouse

This mash-up just blew my mind.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

7. mktitsworth

That was pretty awesome.

8. DocHolliday

9. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I like it, but knowing the current trend for misdirection in its official publicity, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in something totally different. Maybe pink and frilly?

10. Jr Mouse

[​IMG]

My thoughts copied and pasted from elsewhere...

I rather like it. Enjoyed Smith's run and bow ties are indeed cool, but this is a good direction to take. It also nails the look they wanted. Blending the old with new.

There is something slightly youthful about the outfit... The extreme taper to the pleated pants that are stacked on Doc Martians. Slim cardigan worn over a shirt with the top button secured. Even the slightly short jacket. It all feels more than a little aware of fashion and young. A nice contrast to Smith's look. Peter really is being set up to be everything that Smith was not.

Another interesting thing of note is that he's the first NuWho Doctor to wear an outfit, that taken as a whole, very much appears to be a "costume." Sure it's minimalist and understated, but it's also something you would do a double take on if you saw someone wearing it on the street. The 9th, 10th and 11th could easily enough blend in. They wore clothes that felt ordinary.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  11. DocHolliday

Matt's purple getup with the waistcoat didn't seem ordinary to me. This seems like a step back toward "clothes," at least compared with that.

12. Jr Mouse

My comment was based on Smith's original look that he had with Amy. Not the newer one with Clara, which I would agree with you on. That purple jacket always seemed odd to me.

1 person likes this.
  13. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

He only wore the tweed sport coat in his first season, if I recall correctly. Then they switched him to the purple, while still with Amy & Rory. It'll be interesting to see if this sticks - or if it's even real.

14. mktitsworth

He had one tweed in season 5 - a vintage Harris tweed. Then there was a big to do that, of all the jackets in England that could have been used, they went with a Harris tweed knock off made in china for season 6. Then there was the purple thing in 7.

15. Jr Mouse

Nope. No purple in season 6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not even for half of season 7.

[​IMG]

16. DocHolliday

If Capaldi weren't doing the Time Warp and flashing the red lining, his outfit wouldn't look far off the drab dark gear that dominates London these days. He'd look less conspicuous there than Matt's tweedy garb, I'd suggest.

1 person likes this.
  17. DocHolliday

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  18. Jr Mouse

Thanks for the link. Interesting in that he does indeed look a lot more "ordinary" in these spy shots. I think the red lining adds a lot to the outfit and hopefully they are mindful of this while shooting.

19. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

This thread has been dead for a while, but I think it's time to post here since next season's not far off now. I caught up with the last 6 or so episodes this week and I'm really looking forward to an older actor playing the doctor again. I am a bit disappointed in his new outfit though. I could get behind the top part of it, even the invisible tie, it's a classic mod thing anyway. What I don't like are the pants they have chosen for him, they just seem ill-fitting and out of place in this outfit. Also, I don't care for the red lining of the coat (but that's a minor thing).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  20. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Those pants are a travesty. They should be crucified.

1 person likes this.