• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doc martens..

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a pair of "Made in England" that I got off eBay came in..the sole is HUGE. heal is about 1.5" now they were listed as a UK7/US Women's 9... did I get a pair of chick boots? I messed up on sizing, they are a bit small, should have gone with a UK8, but I only spent $17 so it's not too bad.. Wat are they tho? Don't look like the ones I'm finding online...sole is too thick? here are the ones i got:
6405_1.JPG

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I figure the Made in England docs have this kind of a sole:
775d_12.JPG
my made in england are like this:
125%20353.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
no you didnt buy chick boots. That's just the size for men/women since technically the style is unisex.

as for the tall heel, lots of bovver boots came with a thicker sole option. I used to rock Grinders that were the standard steelcap but with a thicker sole/heel, same as yours. Tredair, Gripfast, Grinders, Doc Marten....they all had thick sole options.

and the tread pattern looks correct. The top pic is the standard "bouncing airwair" sole. The bottom is the airwair version of a commando sole, which the thicker sole'd boots usually have (commando style)

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I knew I had to be right on the unisex part..they still are too tight, especially where the tongue meets the toe area.
frown.gif
I guess I am going to try to find a pair of regular bouncing airwair sole then..

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
those are my size. if you ever decide to sell em off lemme know and I might take em off your hands.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can have them if you want. They're used, obviously. Here are photos from the auction of them:
63b6_1.JPG
64b9_1.JPG
6405_1.JPG
A hallmate of mine might buy them..if not they're yours for $17 + shippin?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey knucks, those look INCREDIBLY close to as pair I had in the late 1990's. Are they double soled with the middle being leather, steel toe and (I think) 10 eyelet? And the sole is the heavy "all terrain" one?
I wore mine quite a bit but hated how uncomfortable they were to walk in... got rid of them I think in 2002.

Edit:
nevermind, our posts crossed. Mine were different, more like double sole combat boots.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
A hallmate of mine might buy them..if not they're yours for $17 + shippin?

lemme know if he doesnt buy them....I'm not 100% sure I'd want them but if they're available I'd definitely consider it. Hate to give you such a ***** reply but you know how it goes...

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I had a pair of Doc Martens. I don't really like them anymore. Too heavy for my tastes. I may put them up in B&S sometime if anyone's interested in a size 12 "Limited Edition Exposed Toe" boot with the trademark bouncing soles. I'll probably even throw in a polishing or two.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Skechers own Doc Martens these days? I find that incredibly disturbing...

Did Docs ever make any boots that weren't so wide?

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, Nike owns Doc Martens. That's why they're currently crap.

yoyo

Reaction score
I've a pair of doc marten brogue shoes from high school, ten years old now. The insoles are falling apart but they look so good. still the best looking shoes i own to wear with jeans.

ino

Reaction score
the only problem i ever had with doc martens is the way the sole looks

corbu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoyo
I've a pair of doc marten brogue shoes from high school, ten years old now. The insoles are falling apart but they look so good. still the best looking shoes i own to wear with jeans.
i've had mine for 8 years and still wear them all the time with jeans. my insoles have fallen apart as well, but that is the only complaint i've had with them so far.
smile.gif
crappy cell phone pics... bottom has a fresh coat of polish:
boots1Small.jpg
left has a fresh coat of polish:
154196891525_3300Small.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads