1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Do your friends care about clothes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BlvdDandy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. linux_pro

linux_pro Well-Known Member

I know almost nobody who does. But they all compliment me on my taste. [​IMG]

2. Will

Will Well-Known Member

I think of this and similar forums as today's replacement for Henry Poole's salon, where customers sat around drinking port and discussing clothes.

Will

3. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

I've got a few friends who are into dressing well in high-quality clothes -- those who buy Brioni and Oxxford, for example. One who spent a year at Oxford wears mostly T&A dress shirts. Another wears alot of Charvet, but is just as likely to be wearing it with a Brooks Brothers or Hickey Freeman suit. Several are big into the Tom James thing. Most though are other lawyers who buy their clothes at Brooks Brothers or Filene's Basement (Hickey-Freeman) - -guys I've been friends with since college or law school. Also, I can't think of any friends who are into really nice shoes, such as Lobb and EG. I'd be surprised if they had ever even heard of Edward Green.

My wife likes high quality clothes, especially Loro Piana and Piazza Sempione. However, she is more focused on fit and comfort than a label. She has a ton of clothes that are made by designers/makers I've never heard of -- the stuff that Neiman-Marcus doesn't sell, but that can easily be found in Soho. She is also of the belief that women's shoes are to be worn and then thrown away when worn out -- odd, but I guess this is pretty common based on the above posts. She also has 40+ pairs of shoes, so they don't wear out quickly anyway. She has gently joked a couple of times about the large number of shirts and shoes I have (which I have divided up in my closet by dress/casual and by color, and with all my summer clothes/shoes set apart in a separate storage closet), but she is blessedly nonchalant about my attraction to high quality clothes and shoes. Thank god for non-joint checking accounts and separate credit cards.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I hate to make this thread sound like a broken record, but none of my close friends are really into clothes in the manner of us forumites. With a couple of exceptions, most of my co-workers are egregiously bad dressers. Only one other man in my company verges on being a clothing enthusiast, and his taste and mine tend to diverge rather sharply. I have a couple of more distant friends in my industry who are knowlegeable about dressing well. My father-in-law is relatively knowledgeable. I have one woman friend who is an accomplished seamstress. She is quite knowledgeable, and I enjoy talking clothes with her.

My wife is enigmatic and rather ambiguous about clothes. She likes to shop Rodeo Drive and get high-end apparel. When she puts some effort into turning herself out well, she looks like a million dollars and I am very proud that she's mine. Much of the rest of time, she is quite content to appear in public looking like something the cat dragged in after playing with all night. She firmly entertains the archaic and juvenile prejudice that any man who turns himself out well either is gay or at least "looks gay."

5. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

A few of my male buddies are interested in looking good, and solicit my advice, but don't know much about clothing. I have a few complusive shopping "buddies" (all women), who care more about fashion than quality, and rather spend a lot of $$ on many things versus a lot $$ on a few, choice pieces. I receive the most compliments on my shoes, and then, probably, my lavender and pink dress shirts. Both look great with gray flannel.

6. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

I've mentioned the Style Forum and my e-bay suits to a couple of close friends. They think it's just another sign of my eccentricities, and it amuses them.

7. mrprlover

mrprlover Well-Known Member

I mention a few things here and there to several friends (eBay purchases and nice shoes/suits I found on sale), but as aforementioned it's more of an amusement to them. They find my shopping habits rather intriguing and often think I have a problem. =]

They like to joke about my Magli's - saying they are made of ostrich leather. It's all in good heart though, as they know who their go-to guy is when in need of sartorial advice/help/suggestions.

8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I have a couple friends here who enjoy clothing and dress nicely. At this far outpost, a bespoke suit is almost unheard of. High quality here is good brand-name RTW. I wear mostly HSM and RLP suits and sport coats. I am constantly complimented on my dress, so I know people here appreciate style.

My wife works in a public school which is populated by children from the lower reaches of the socio-economic strata. She "condones" my purchases, but finds few reasons to "dress up" herself. She is far more comfortable in khakis and cords.