Do you wish you lived in a different era?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FidelCashflow, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Faded501s

Faded501s Senior member

Whenever I read or see (in movies, etc.) life of different eras I am always fascinated and some small part of me wants to experience it. Having grown up in the 70's and 80's I always kind of wanted to be born about 10 years earlier to experience more of the "free love" 60's and 70's.

I've come to the realization though that being born in '66 has had some great advantages. Life was a lot simpler growing up with only a couple of TV channels, no computers, no video games and no internet. It also seemed a lot safer and more secure. We basically spent our days hanging out with friends, playing baseball and causing minor trouble. The point is that we saw each other IRL and were not role-playing on a computer. It was almost Mayberry-esque in a suburban kind of way.

And through my early 20's we still enjoyed a lot of the "70's peace and love" and there was a lot more freedom than there is now. DUI and AIDS were things we did not worry too much about. Good jobs were easy to get and 40 hr work weeks were standard. We had time and money to enjoy young adulthood. We got to experience good financial growth in the 80's and when the 90's internet boom happened we were pretty well established and able to capitalize on it. And home ownership was (relatively) cheap for us...especially by todays' standards.

But here's the catch...having graduated H.S. in '84 we had not been exposed to computers (at all!). There are some people I grew up with who are about as computer illiterate as my grandmother. Many of those people "got left behind" as far as technology goes and many have not been able to re-invent themselves in the "new" workplace. They're struggling. But I would have to say that there is probably no better time to be born than between 1955 and 1975. As the saying goes...it always looks greener.

2. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

No I like this era. I have dark brown skin and that would limit where I could go and what I could do in past eras. So I like this one just fine. I just wish people had better manners.

3. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

No I like this era. I have dark brown skin and that would limit where I could go and what I could do in past eras. So I like this one just fine. I just wish people had better manners.

Freedom is overrated.

4. TheIdler

TheIdler Senior member

I kind of wish I'd become a teenager/young adult at some time other then when I did, which seemed to coincide with the worst of the AIDS scare in the U.S. And right when I graduated from college was the early nineties recession, which sucked. So maybe a few years in either direction would have been better.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I think the 70s was a very interesting and decadent period.

You sound like LabelKing's sock puppet.[​IMG]

When I was a child, I always wanted to live during the Renaissance - in France or Italy. I still think it would be awesome because so much of those countries' cultural identity was established during that time. I'd also love to see vast virgin forests again along with the Middle East during that time.

6. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I'd like to be some minor (but wealthy) British aristocrat in the 18th or 19th centuries. My days would consist of drinking, galas, and travels to far-off lands with a retinue of servants.

7. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

1950's, 1830's or 2150's would all be preferable.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Actually as long as I have a vietnam era PT boat, access to a large store of guns, a few gullible but strong-as-fuck henchmen with jet-skis, and at least 12 hot chicks for my harem i'm fine surviving in the everglades for my apocalypse. I choose future for the win-win.

Edit: Also lifetime supply of hair supplies for the mohawks, liberty spikes, and other such crazy hairstyles.

You seem to have a solid plan. Right-sizing the pool of henchmen is always a challenge. You have to account for attrition. But then if you have too many, with too much time on their hands they will be eyeballing your harem or even considering making a power grab.

Since you will be in the Everglades and using crazy hairstyles I will assume that the henchmen will be attired in a ragtag post apocalyptic style. I prefer this method because of its economy. Outfitting a group of henchmen in quasi-futuristic uniforms can be more expensive than most people think.

What kind of lair is best suited for the Everglades? Underground is out, of course.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I would love to have been born around 1895 - could consievably have hit wwi, the disturbances in urban germany in the 20's, the sao paulo war, the war between paraguay and uraguay, spanish civil war, wwii and the war of israeli independence. of course, most probrably would have gotten killed in wwi and missed all the other stuff.

on top of that, the best fashion art and music.

10. Orpheus

Orpheus Well-Known Member

^Seeing war is desirable for you? Those would probably make me want to off myself before anything else.

Being a 90's baby (yes), I've been thinking the 60's would be interesting, especially the late sixties. Actually, maybe feeling excited about the future of the US. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind living through the 90's such that I'm not a tiny little kid. A lot of good memories of mine formed then.

11. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

You seem to have a solid plan. Right-sizing the pool of henchmen is always a challenge. You have to account for attrition. But then if you have too many, with too much time on their hands they will be eyeballing your harem or even considering making a power grab.

Since you will be in the Everglades and using crazy hairstyles I will assume that the henchmen will be attired in a ragtag post apocalyptic style. I prefer this method because of its economy. Outfitting a group of henchmen in quasi-futuristic uniforms can be more expensive than most people think.

What kind of lair is best suited for the Everglades? Underground is out, of course.

Stilts and towers, I imagine, are involved.

Also definitely needs airboat..

Or how about a gigantic airboat fortress? Or a paddleboat fortress on like Mississippi?

12. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

I imagine most SFer's wish they lived in the 50's, alot pretend they do now.

13. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

For example, my great grandma once took a boat journey somewhere that was 4 months round trip, which to me is unimaginable. Now I can cover the same distance in a 8 hour flight. Even if they invent something that can teleport me instantly, am I really in that big a hurry?

You'd likely learn to be, actually a world with teleportation sounds very appealing.

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I imagine most SFer's wish they lived in the 50's, alot pretend they do now.

only the ones who are still active at AAAC [​IMG]

15. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I'd prefer an age of civility.
    And free sex.