1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you wear belt with dress pants/trousers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Coho, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Coho

Coho Senior member

just curious how many people here where belts with dressy trousers.

2. Minkous

Minkous Senior member

I know its probably considered a sin but i think it might also be one of my little style quirks but i rarely ever wear a belt with dress trousers, and if i am really in need of something to keep my pants up i will normally use braces

3. Coho

Coho Senior member

I know its probably considered a sin but i think it might also be one of my little style quirks but i rarely ever wear a belt with dress trousers, and if i am really in need of something to keep my pants up i will normally use braces

braces=suspenders correct?

4. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

braces=suspenders correct?

Yes. Braces is the British word, suspenders is American (and, I think, Canadian). By the way, in Britain, suspenders are what we in America call sock garters.

5. TomW

TomW Senior member

If I'm wearing a suit.. then I'm wearing braces
    At all other times, a belt

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

I'd prefer sidetabs on suit trousers but I think pants look off without a belt otherwise.

7. futumpsh

futumpsh Member

if the trousers have belt loops you must wear a belt .

if you dont wanna wear a belt have side tabs on your trousers.

easy .

8. Zahir

Zahir Well-Known Member

I feel a little too much like Micheal Douglas in Wall Street when I wear suspenders.

9. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wear a belt with my suits and dress pants except on the rare occasion when I will grab my braces. From time-to-time I will go beltless with some of the new trim cut Cucineli pants I bought. The slightly lower waist and trim cut reminds me of jeans so I wear them that way and like it. I hardly ever wear a belt with jeans, but then again my jeans actually fit me.

10. briancl

briancl Senior member

I don't own a single belt or wear any type of device to keep my pants up. They stay put just fine on their own.

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I love suspenders...Thanks for the info bacause i'm going shopping in New-York very soon and you have saved me from some lost in translation moments...

12. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

If I'm wearing a suit.. then I'm wearing braces
    At all other times, a belt

+1

13. Coho

Coho Senior member

I just removed the belt loops off some of my pants. It looks kind of funny as I gained a little weight over the Holidays .[​IMG] Now not sure what I should do. I am a victim of Alan Flusser and his no belt looks advice. [​IMG] I am surprised from the poll that many of you wear belts.
    +1

14. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

if the trousers have belt loops you must wear a belt .

if you dont wanna wear a belt have side tabs on your trousers.

easy .

+ 1. Or, you can wear trousers with belt loops and not wear a belt if you want to look like a sloppy high school kid.

I am a victim of Alan Flusser and his no belt looks advice.

Well, there are pants that are made to be worn without a belt (i.e. with side tabs). I don't know if simply removing belt loops does the trick. It's like saying, I'm going to remove the bottom of my pants to turn them into shorts.

15. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I am a victim of Alan Flusser and his no belt looks advice. [​IMG]

It could be worse.

[​IMG]

16. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I am surprised from the poll that many of you wear belts.

What's not to like about belts?

[​IMG]

17. bassholic

bassholic New Member

Where a belt, but actively looking to wear suspenders

18. Seluv

Seluv Member

To tell the truth, I only grudgingly wear belts with dress pants and trousers, which serve as daily uniform for work in white collar "coat and tie" job.

Outside and away from work, for some "semi-casual event" I generally throw a sport coat on over khakis (though some people consider as such, don't really view them as "dress pants") and more often than not leave belt behind. As to blue jeans, I haven't put a belt on with jeans for several years, found they fit nicely and look neat without one.

What's not to like about belts?

A belt, of course, even when selected in tone/hugh of leather to coordinate with trouser fabric color (black for charcoal gray and navy blue, brown/burgundy with brown, tan with khaki and taupe, etc.) is still usually noticeable enough to draw a horizontal line across middle of body and makes those of us deprived of vertical height appear shorter.

Or, you can wear trousers with belt loops and not wear a belt if you want to look like a sloppy high school kid.

Actually, in high school and college I was one of the neatest dressed students by virtue of working part-time as retail clerk in men's clothing sector of department store. Department manager helped put together work outfits for us, which usually included items from store to "model" and "display" and hopefully be enticed to purchase utilizing the employee discount program. He explained on numerous occasions when assembling wardrobe for next day, "Ordinarily, you'd need a belt, but you're short and slender, so just skip it."

19. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

i think braces look badass on a young, lean dapper like myself, but i've never gotten the courage (or $) to try such luxuries. and oh my GOD what the hell is flusser wearing??

20. Coho

Coho Senior member

wow. I can't believe I take advice cue from such terrible dresser.[​IMG]

It could be worse.

[​IMG]