1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you wear an undershirt? Why?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Feb 2, 2012.

Do you wear an undershirt?

1. Yes

227 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No

123 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I almost never wear an undershirt with casual wear (oxfords or other button downs on nights and weekends).

As I posted before, for work, I do wear them in the winter (where I want the extra layer) and the summer (where it is way too humid in NYC not to wear one). We are entering prime non-undershirt wearing weather now.

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I dont wear one. I don't like the extra bulk.
    However I don't find it odd to wear one.

3. Freddiecool

Freddiecool New Member

Normal undershirts tend to bunch up but the Funkybod undershirt is fitted and stretchy. Of course it adds bulk to the pecs and arms but looks great IMO. I sometimes wear a t-shirt under a shirt as an extra layer but that's not really a proper undershirt garment.

4. DrZeus

DrZeus Active Member

More importantly, do you fold or scrunch?

5. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Undershirts? No. But when it's freezing, I sometimes wear a heather grey tank top underneath the shirt.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  6. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

I'm almost afraid to ask - but fold or scrunch what? :confused:

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

Yes, I wear them. Why? I defer to comments by unbelragazzo.

8. Kai

Kai Senior member

I'm sweaty. Undershirt is necessary.

9. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

No but it's not that cold here.

I find it hard to believe that sweating in summer is such a problem for people that the best answer is to wear ANOTHER layer? I suppose because I wear a suit every day, so even when I sweat no-one is going to see sweat marks on my shirt, but Australian summers are very hot and I can't recall many people at all here wearing undershirts to combat the sweat. It just seems like a way to make you sweat even more.

Overall though it always strikes me as an old-man look. I suppose I mostly associate it with Leroy Jethro Gibbs from NCIS!

10. RSS

RSS Senior member

It's not that I sweat. I just don't particularly like the feeling of moisture on my skin. That being so an undershirt is the answer.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  11. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

I do, for the following reasons:

1) If I'm ever stuck in Nakatomi Plaza with a bunch of armed bad guys, it's the coolest look. Also, no shoes.

2) It moderates cold temperatures.

3) My very thin mercerized Hanros dry extremely quickly, in the event that you sweat. I walk 15 mins to/from my office in NYC, so in the summer that's a major plus on some days.

4) Don't have to send my shirts to the cleaner each time I wear them, meaningfully increasing longevity. They get only one wear if I sweat or if they get dirty in some way, but if it's a winter day and they are not exposed to anything for example (they just plain old don't get dirty), back in the closet for a second wear. I let them hang and the Alumo unwrinkles easily, especially with body heat the next time you put it on. For those aloof blowhards who think it's disgusting, if you're wearing you shirt over an undershirt, its no different than a sweater or jacket. Do you send your jackets to the cleaners after each wear?

5) Mitigates risk of staining (deoderant/antiperspirant). Haven't ever had any staining onto dress shirts even when I go no undershirt (sometimes in spring/fall), but don't want to risk it.

6) Mitigates transparency for lightweight white shirts.

12. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

If your undershirt breathes and dries much faster than your proper shirt, its a huge plus.

Also, of course, the sweat visibility aspect. Takes a lot to sweat through an undershirt AND a shirt. Although maybe not for profuse sweaty people.

1 person likes this.
  13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I'm spending the week in Barcelona where do don't see many undershirts worn. I can't verify this with the folks in business suits (of course) but I suspect undershirts are another American invention. In Spain though, I'd like to have seen more undershirts on the cavemen hairy spaniards

I've worn a shirt underneath another shirt if its too cold but it's not a undershirt per se

14. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

For sure. I don't know anyone who wears them.

15. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

+++:embar:

16. RSS

RSS Senior member

I must remember to thank the British and the Swiss for taking care of my American need.

17. RSS

RSS Senior member

When I am dressed for work about the house ... in, say khaki trousers and a canvas work shirt ... I actually like leaving the shirt unbuttoned and showing a bit of crew neck T-shirt. It has a fresh all-American look.

18. bertie

bertie Senior member

Agree with 1 2 5 and 6 . There are days when I would not need to clean a shirt but just prefer to reach for a newly cleaned and pressed shirt. I often don't wear in summer due to the slight increase in warmth but will if I have any stress at work.

Would expand wear to involvement with any Gruber brother though.

19. bertie

bertie Senior member

Double[

20. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Interesting thoughts but I guess I am on the other end. If it's cold, the jacket and coat I am wearing matter 10x more than some undershirt, so I just don't get this personally. I clean my shirts after each wearing anyways, so I don't think this would matter for me. I've never really had issues with staining and think the lines of the undershirt that show through one's dress shirt are worse than any transparency issues. YMMV. My two cents, and clearly from the poll, two cents that are in the minority here.