Do you wear an undershirt? Why?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Feb 2, 2012.

Do you wear an undershirt?

1. Yes

227 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No

123 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

An athletic person is inherently going to eat more than their sedentary counterparts. The thermogenic effect of food makes a difference in sweating that is anything but negligible.

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I find that a crew neck works best when wearing a shirt and tie and a v-neck when unbuttoned. It might something particular to the v-necks I wear, but I feel the v is very noticeable with a shirt and tie. Also, +100 on riding the train to commute to work in the Summer and having a drenched shirt if I did not have an undershirt on. Even true sometimes in the winter on a very crowded train with the heat pumped up and no free hands to take your coat off.

3. Samovar McGee

Samovar McGee Senior member

I find undershirts, and, for that matter, underwear, to be for small-timers. My shirts get thrown out at the end of the day. And my trousers? Well, let's just say that there's a reason Mister Ambrosi hasn't been delivering as promptly as he used to. I keep him in a workshop on the grounds of my palazzo.

4. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

This.

I always felt that people erroneously think of suits as "outerwear" as it it were a raincoat or body armor. This of course led to baggy suits, padded shoulders, and 6-button 1998 NBA bespokes.

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

It's an obvious fact that it's plenty possible to wear an undershirt and still wear a well-fitting suit. Wearing an undershirt does not imply wearing a baggy suit.

Svenn, could you elaborate on why it is "tacky", "uncouth" and "better reserved for plumbers" to wear an undershirt for either comfort or with the intention of extending the life of one's dress shirt? I can only assume that either you believe i) wearing undershirts does not extend the life of dress shirts, or ii) it is tacky to try and save money on dress shirts by extending their life. Please clarify which it is you are claiming or if it's some third reason that they are so abhorrent and classless to you.

I continue to marvel at the fact that people have such strong feelings about other people's undergarments.

6. Mandres

Mandres Well-Known Member

I don't blame people who don't understand the need of an undershirt for moisture control, they just have never experienced living in Houston.

We get 3-4 months straight of 95% humidity days. Summers are brutal enough for any man in a suit to break a sweat walking from the parking lot to the office. It's like New Orleans, only with more air pollution.

Cotton undershirts wick sweat away from the skin and keep your dress shirts from being ruined by perspiration. These are facts. Whether or not they are necessary depends 100% on your local climate.

7. Asian Afro

Asian Afro Senior member

The fit of your clothing extends to your underwear. Bunching up means your undershirt doesn't fit. :)

8. Towers

Towers Senior member

Pre-mass manufacturing only the wealthy could afford the luxury of undergarments, so the tradesmen you hold in such contempt would have been the ones without undershirts.

And now that it is acceptable for you to remove your jacket and walk around in your shirtsleeves nobody wants to see your pit stains and back sweat.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

9. Snoopy

Snoopy Senior member

And that is why I wear an undershirt. I wear XS size. I'm usually small, but want the undershirt to be smaller and less excess material.

I feel very uncomfortable wearing a nice shirt with nothing under and worrying that I ruined the pits due to perspiration or deodorant.

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1

11. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I wouldn't go as far as to call it a theory! Perhaps I should have been less general. It's certainly my experience that I sweat less the fitter I am.

12. raen419

raen419 New Member

I only wear V-neck undershirts, and do for a few reasons.
    1. I have very oily skin. Need I say more?
    2. Cold nipples at work is a no-go.
    3. V-necks never show under any of my polos or dress shirts at the collar, so its not a big deal from a stylistic standpoint.
    4. As stated before, layering in the winter and wicking sweat in the summer. I've done this for 10+ years and it has kept all my polos, dress shirts, and everything in between from getting sweat-stained in all the normal areas.

It's also nice that certain V-necks don't make me itch at the point of the V (Fruit of the Loom mainly).

13. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Only in winter

14. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Dunno if this has been said in the previous 7-8 pages, cant be arsed to check, but the US and the colder countries are not the world entire.

I now live and work in the US, but but always wore undershirts in India (before I came here) and now find it disgusting that people don't wear them regardless of temperature. That is probably the wrong attitude but it is almost instinctive from my experiences growing up in India.

On that subject, let me tell you something - if you live and work in some of the hotter climes, which I believe is a good part of the globe, then you'll need an undershirt, period.

It doesn't matter that you're an office drone working in air conditioned environments. You'll still need it, trust me.

15. malat

malat Senior member

/thread.