Do you wear an undershirt? Why?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NAMOR, Feb 2, 2012.

Do you wear an undershirt?

1. Yes

227 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. No

123 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. Towers

Towers Senior member

Not only an extreme statement, it is also wrong from a historical perspective. Having your underwear visible is tacky, not wearing any is gross.

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

Dreadful garments, totally unnecessary save in the most freezing of climates when 'layers' are required. They add nothing whatever to someone who washes/showers daily..

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Then wash more frequently and use an anti perspirant/deoderant.

4. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

The greater your lean muscle mass the more calories you burn at rest... the waste product is heat so you're correct.

5. viator

viator Senior member

There are many valid reasons for not wearing undershirts, but again, there's no reason to go impugning the hygiene of someone who does. Remember, we all have different bodies. Just beause you may not sweat and be comfortable year round with just a single layer of thin cotton doesn't mean everyone is so fortunate.

6. Artigas

Artigas Senior member

Isn't it the anti-perspirant itself that causes the famous yellow stains?

7. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Depends on the person. Certain anti-perspirants may cause it, but so do certain people's bodies naturally. Higher testosterone levels can lead to more odorous perspiration which is usually associated with stains.

8. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

Regardless of the discussion, I'm still surprised by the poll results - 2/3rds wear undershirts here? I thought it was pretty well-entrenched SF groupthink that undershirts are a no-no.

9. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

The amount of calories burned and thus heat produced by lean muscle is negligible compared to other factors in how much one sweats.

To the OP's topic, thankfully I don't sweat much even in the hottest conditions, so I voted no. I'll pop one on under a sweater once in a while when I'm bumming around the house, but it's never visible.

10. urfloormatt

urfloormatt Well-Known Member

This. I don't know what the weather or the commute is like in Sacramento in the summer, but on the East coast, the heat is sweltering and the humidity is high, and most people walk/use public transportation (in DC, NYC, major urban centers). If I didn't wear an undershirt, most days my dress shirt would be dripping wet when I arrived in the office. I have no problem throwing out cheap undershirts after a year's worth of wear. I would rather not do that to my much more expensive dress shirts.

It seems extremely odd to me to notice "yellowing" undershirts and then question why people wear them. If the undershirt wasn't yellowing, then the dress shirt would be.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Letting an undershirt show is I think widely considered a no-no. The more egregious version has a crewneck undershirt peeking out of an open collared button-up shirt. This is easily solved by wearing a v-neck undershirt. The other problem is having the outline of the undershirt show through your dress shirt. if you're wearing a jacket, the sleeves aren't an issue, and the v-neck of the undershirt often aligns enough with the collar of the dress shirt that it's not too much of an issue. But another way around this is to wear a heather gray, as opposed to a white, undershirt - this reflects less light and is therefore less visible. It comes at some cost to the brightness of the dress shirt.

12. unbelragazzo

+1. In the summer in DC, I carry around a white cotton hank in my trouser pocket at all times just to wipe sweat off my brow. Also, besides the issue of dress shirts being more expensive, they also seem to dry out slower. In any case I seem to be less comfortable sitting in a sweaty dress shirt with no undershirt underneath than sitting in a sweaty undershirt.

13. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Please elaborate on this 'historical perspective.' It was not until the 1920's that it started becoming acceptable to be in public with just your shirtsleeves, and even GW Bush forbid taking off one's coat in the Oval Office. Here's the historical fact- what we call "dress shirts" were the 'undershirts' throughout the majority of Western history. Now again, if you sweat excessively or are unusually cold then you're welcome to wear your undershirts, but to have it as a normal part of your business wardrobe for no other reason than to keep your 'dress shirt' tidy is indeed tacky.

On occasion the groupthink sides with the plebs, even when the classy members know better.

14. unbelragazzo

I really appreciate your permission to wear my undershirts in the summer and winter. Is it tacky to try and save money on replacing dress shirts? I don't understand. It is invisible to the eye. Do you think it's tacky to wear underwear to save your trousers?

15. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

That's not why anyone wears underwear, I would hope :uhoh: