• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear an undershirt? Why?

Do you wear an undershirt?

• Yes

Votes: 235 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 130 35.6%

• Total voters

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
pretty much the same when it's cold in the office I wear a thin wifebeater provided its outline is 100% invisible under the shirt ofc

visible undershirt is the ugliest thing ever, right there with squared toe shoes
I am the opposite. I counter-intuitively wear an undershirt on hot days because i sweat like a bastard and i prefer not to have it show through my dress shirt.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly, it's a matter of personal preference and climate. Therefore, who cares what anyone, including G. Bruce Boyer, says?

asher

Reaction score
I'm fairly skinny so when the cold weather kicks in I wear a funky bod undershirt cause its very discreet and at the same time it adds muscle size as it has integrated chest and arm muscle padding.

Towers

Reaction score

I'm fairly skinny so when the cold weather kicks in I wear a funky bod undershirt cause its very discreet and at the same time it adds muscle size as it has integrated chest and arm muscle padding.

kayumochi

Reaction score
Lived abroad for 15 years and slowly got over my American conditioning of wearing undershirts. Women outside of the US do not find them sexy ... just the opposite and I was told so. Now that I am back here I noticed all the undershirts: I see them under dress shirts with an open collar, under polo shirts and even under T-shirts. What is up with that? Does it look *gay* not to wear one and expose one's chest just a little? Well, I see gay men wearing undershirts all the time. I think it comes down to this: in other parts of the world a well-dressed man is just that - a well-dressed man. Only in the States would a well-dressed man be thought of as gay ...

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lived abroad for 15 years and slowly got over my American conditioning of wearing undershirts. Women outside of the US do not find them sexy ... just the opposite and I was told so. Now that I am back here I noticed all the undershirts: I see them under dress shirts with an open collar, under polo shirts and even under T-shirts. What is up with that? Does it look *gay* not to wear one and expose one's chest just a little? Well, I see gay men wearing undershirts all the time. I think it comes down to this: in other parts of the world a well-dressed man is just that - a well-dressed man. Only in the States would a well-dressed man be thought of as gay ...
Why would anyone think an undershirt was sexxy? I don't think anyone here in the US does. I only wear v-neck undershirts and you can usually only see them through my dress shirts if they are thin. I wear them out of utility rather than them being fashionable.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

On anther note, a t-shirt peeking out from the neck of a collared shirt is UGLY. If you're not going to button up, then don't wear a t-shirt.

i remember at my previous job, some of the finer looking women told me that they didnt mind the undershirt peeking from underneath. instead, some even thought it was a nice contrast. I was gone from that job the following month

Xunguila

Reaction score
Who makes the best undershirts?
- Cost no object / any price
- Light grey / don't show under the shirt
- High quality
- V neck i.e I want to open the top button on my shirt and the undershirt should not be visible

ermiwe

Reaction score
I wear a shirt and tie to work most days and have a commute that involves riding my bike for a mile uphill in the morning heat and humidity, getting on a stuffy, crowded DC Metro train, and then walking the rest of the way in. Plus, before I go to work, I run in the morning, and even if I allow myself an hour to cool down after I shower, my sweat switch has been flipped and it doesn't stop. A discreet, plain, white v-neck undershirt keeps the sweat from literally soaking through my dress shirt and making me arrive at the office looking as if I've jumped into a swimming pool with all my clothes on. I manage to dry off quickly in the cool air conditioned space of my workplace but before that happens, I manage to look presentable and feel better. An undershirt also makes me feel cooler despite the extra layer. Go figure. I don't give a crap about nipples or chest hair showing through my shirt - it's the sweat that bugs me.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Congrats on resurrecting a thread that had been dead for 9 months or so for your first post on SF.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads