• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear a undershirt in your shirt?

eleganza david

Reaction score
Some people say "Don't wear a undershirt in your shirt" while someone say "It is okay to wear a undershirt in your shirt"

How about you? I'm not sure which is right.

additional question below :

And I remember that I heard someone said "Strictly speaking, dress shirt is a kind of underclothes, so you must not wear a undershirt under your dress shirt."

Do you agree with this?

centrix

Reaction score
i believe you mean undershirt

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eleganza david
Some people say "Don't wear a underwear in your shirt" while someone say "It is okay to wear a underwear in your shirt"

The correct answer is, "Wear underwear over your shirt."

- B

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The correct answer is, "Wear underwear over your shirt."

- B

I never pegged you as being the type who tucks his shirt in his briefs.
tounge.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I never pegged you as being the type who tucks his shirt in his briefs.
tounge.gif

What briefs?

- B

Agnacious

Reaction score
It's a personal choice. I usually always do, but others do not. If your shirts are thin you probably should. There are arguments for both ways, but to err on the safe side I don't think wearing an undershirt would ever be considered inappropriate.

The posters above labour under the dellusion they are funny. Hopefully you made it this far.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
It's a personal choice. I usually always do, but others do not. If your shirts are thin you probably should. There are arguments for both ways, but to err on the safe side I don't think wearing an undershirt would ever be considered inappropriate.

The posters above labour under the dellusion they are funny. Hopefully you made it this far.

I'm offended that you think I was not providing sound advice.

I do tuck my undershirt into the waistband of my boxer briefs as it keeps them in place and prevents the tucked in shirt from rising out of the pants waistband.

I've found that when I leave my undershirt loose, the undershirt and dress shirt both work together to untuck themselves throughout the day.

I know it's weird but it actually does work.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eleganza david
Some people say "Don't wear a underwear in your shirt" while someone say "It is okay to wear a underwear in your shirt"

I'd like to meet these people who say "It's okay to wear a underwear in your shirt." They sound like they know how to party.

82-Greg

Reaction score
I wear my undershirt under my shirt, but over my briefs. If you worry about your shirt drawing out of your trousers over the course of a day, have some snug-tex sewn into the waist of your trousers. Alternatively, you can copy the Marines who wear suspenders from their shirt bottoms to the top of their socks.

snug-tex can be found here: http://www.thesewingplace.com/index....OD&ProdID=2478 (amongst many other places)

The suspenders can be found here: http://www.reddiamondonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2468 (amongst other places)

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I'd like to meet these people who say "It's okay to wear a underwear in your shirt." They sound like they know how to party.
I party like blueoakleyz in his parents basement.

chas

Reaction score
I wear a wife beater tucked into my panties and I don't care who knows it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics