Do you wear a pocket square?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by suenarita, Dec 29, 2013.

1. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Well the goal is to pull a clean one out of your breast pocket if she has an emergency ... not a used one. :D

2. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I don't know, white linen pocket squares don't look expensive at all =[

3. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

agreed.

have a nice one to give when you need to.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

4. TheMangelo

TheMangelo Well-Known Member

See, I know that, and you know that, but that doesn't change the reactions I've seen. :)

Sorry for derailing the thread.

For me: formal occasion is white linen in a TV fold; beyond that I like colours and textures that complement the outfit. I find that a corduroy sport coat with a wool square work very nicely, for example.

What texture of pocket square would work nicely with a slubby linen-cotton sport coat, though? Silk doesn't seem right. Crisp, smooth, cotton or linen?

5. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

If it's a nice dry silk with no sheen, why not?

6. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

^^ yes, or a cotton, i have even seen bamboo/cotton, go with what works.

and post a square [​IMG]

7. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

I want to wear pocket squares, but I have to buy them first. I would like to buy two now because there are some sales. But I am confused because there are at least two sizes. I don't know why - assuming the pocket squares are of the same material, and silk seems to be most elegant - why are there various sizes? So for me to choose a pocket square, I'm confronted with the larger and the smaller size, and to simplify matters because of my limited budget, I have silk in mind. And it seems as if the silk pocket squares must have the specification ?

8. gringodaddy

There are pluses and minuses to larger or smaller squares. Larger of course can be unweildy when trying to fold into a pocket, smaller can fall into the pocket during the course of the day. Standard seems to be 12" x 12". I wouldn't go smaller. I have a couple that are larger that I don't have an issue with, but can cause your pocket to bulge.
    Silk or linen are the most easiest to find and the most logical place to start, though I really like wool or wool/silk blends the most of the ones that I own.

9. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

There are pluses and minuses to larger or smaller squares.  Larger of course can be unweildy when trying to fold into a pocket, smaller can fall into the pocket during the course of the day.  Standard seems to be 12" x 12".  I wouldn't go smaller.  I have a couple that are larger that I don't have an issue with, but can cause your pocket to bulge.
    Silk or linen are the most easiest to find and the most logical place to start, though I really like wool or wool/silk blends the most of the ones that I own.
    [/quote

Dear gringodaddy

I'm sorry I didn't give exact measuements - I waa so surprised that one measurement diesn't prevail after so long experience. For example, the smaller is 30cm x 30cm, 350 threads per inch (!?), two-ply silk. For another example, the larger is 40cm x 40cm, 14 momme (?) silk twill. The former is made ib England, the latter in Italy.

According to my check here in Internet, your advised minimum measurement twelve inches by twelve inches is 30.48cm x 30.48cm.

Unfortunately, gringodaddy, you don't elaborate if other advantages and disadvantages are connected with the sizes of the silk. Nor do you explain why you now prefer the woolen-silk mix. But my first problem is the size. But bulging pockets are ugly in any case!

PS: If that photograph is of your own garderobe, I'm very impressed!

10. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Do I Wear A Pocket Square?

Yes, I do.

I find that the smaller 12 x 12 pocket squares work better with patch pockets, which tend to be smaller.

There are more ways to put a pocket square in your pocket than there are days in anyone's life.

Just do it.

11. comrade

comrade Senior member

I even wear one in my pyjama tops pocket.

12. gringodaddy

Holy shit I'm confused. Just buy and wear pocket that you find appealing.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Well, I have about 95 squares, mostly silk but some cotton and linen. I wear them most of the time when I have a jacket on, including this very minute. With the silk jobs, I always puff them, with cotton or linen, fold.

White linen squares I find very boring. I use 'em for funerals only.

I would no more let a lady use my pocket square than I would let her blow her nose on my necktie. A proper gentleman carries an extra white cotton handkerchief in his pocket to hand to a lady in need, should the occasion arise.

14. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

oh for gods sake with the "woman in need" bullshit. Women have purses...95% of the ones I've met have at least one tissue in there. I'm not sure what ridiculous scenarios you guys have drafted in your minds about some damsel in distress, but you aren't fred astaire and this isn't 1955. Its a complete non issue.

15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:bounce2: