1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you wear a pocket square?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by suenarita, Dec 29, 2013.

1. size 38R

size 38R Distinguished Member

Yawn. try not to derail what could be a great thread with this kind of nonsence.
    post what you wear, and how/why. keep your opinions on what others wear to yourself. there are plenty of threads for that b.s.

Sorry o.p. back to your topic.

A little color can be done well if you have the ability to pull it off.more power to you! and respect.
    i also make my own from materials that i like at the store i buy buttons from. including Marvel comics themed,and other themes that are interesting but not too bold. -just never paisley. not sure why.
    Making your own squares is really satisfying, give it a try gentlemen.

what you do for work does matter a little, as does your fortitude, i run my own business and wear what i like.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

2. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior Member

3. dohare

dohare Senior Member

white with a navy border. it elevates the standard white square with a navy/gray suit. i get'em from the tie bar.. i can't imagine spending more than $30 for a square of cloth that never touches your body.

4. gringodaddy

5. althanis

althanis Distinguished Member

I wear a white linen square with a TV fold because I don't have the inclination to do anything more than that. And even just that gets compliments when I wear it.

It also depends largely on the environment you're wearing it in. If I were to wear anything more than that it would start to look ostentatious.

6. size 38R

it's workin for you, tell us about the square and why you chose it?

7. gringodaddy

I wear a blue jacket 80% of the time, so I wanted a square that didn't have blue in it, but (to my eye) complements whatever else I am wearing. I have a small selection of squares that in theory match nearly everything I can wear and add some visual interest.. It's just a question of what work best in what setting. And thanks very much.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013

8. size 38R

i wear Brown Jackets often, this one (paul smith) has a blue and peppermint green stitched in pinstripe.
    so this is the Vivienne Westwood square i mentioned, worn with a light powder blue P.S. shirt, a orange/pink Burberry tie,and green cashmere cardigan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so in this instance, the square is intended to compliment the array of colors. while not dominating too much. this particular square is a different color match when folded a different way.
    apologies for the crap iphone pics.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

9. AlexE

AlexE Distinguished Member

In Munich there has been a little revival of pocket squares recently. One can see them now more frequently.

Most of the time when I wear a suit at work I add a white linen PS in presidential fold, sometimes I also use a cotton PS with light blue and white gingham pattern. This being said I would shy away from using a PS in some business settings and especially in job interviews.

Outside work I also use more colorful silk pocket squares with sport coats and blazers.

With formal wear I use a white silk pocket square.

10. gringodaddy

11. size 38R

square worn and unfolded. great idea! it will help the O.P a lot.[​IMG] (i will add a pic to my post)

more in this format with a little background story would make this a fun thread for readers.

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Distinguished Member

Definitely - feels unfinished without one.

I don't make a big deal out of it, just stuff it in and arrange a bit artfully.

13. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

Even guys who don't like the look should have a white handkerchief folded up and tucked into their breast pocket anyway. It beats using your jacket sleeve to mop up a sweaty brow or runny nose. And a lady will invariably find it useful as well.

14. TheMangelo

TheMangelo Well-Known Member

While I don't disagree with your premise, every lady I've spoken with on the topic of handkerchiefs has invariably been rather repulsed by the idea. Something about the idea of carrying around a wadded-up bundle of cotton and snot in your pocket being unsanitary or something.

Note that they almost always have at least one wadded-up used Kleenex tissue in their purse.

15. size 38R

keep a clean pocket square, if you ever find yourself giving it to a lady. just say "it's ok, i have plenty" . if she says "but it must be expensive. = you say "you can take it home, wash it, and then give it back to me" - you got yourself a number, and/or a next meeting.[​IMG]