1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you wear a pocket square?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by suenarita, Dec 29, 2013.

1. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

it's workin for you, tell us about the square and why you chose it?

2. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

I wear a blue jacket 80% of the time, so I wanted a square that didn't have blue in it, but (to my eye) complements whatever else I am wearing. I have a small selection of squares that in theory match nearly everything I can wear and add some visual interest.. It's just a question of what work best in what setting. And thanks very much.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

i wear Brown Jackets often, this one (paul smith) has a blue and peppermint green stitched in pinstripe.
    so this is the Vivienne Westwood square i mentioned, worn with a light powder blue P.S. shirt, a orange/pink Burberry tie,and green cashmere cardigan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so in this instance, the square is intended to compliment the array of colors. while not dominating too much. this particular square is a different color match when folded a different way.
    apologies for the crap iphone pics.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  4. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

In Munich there has been a little revival of pocket squares recently. One can see them now more frequently.

Most of the time when I wear a suit at work I add a white linen PS in presidential fold, sometimes I also use a cotton PS with light blue and white gingham pattern. This being said I would shy away from using a PS in some business settings and especially in job interviews.

Outside work I also use more colorful silk pocket squares with sport coats and blazers.

With formal wear I use a white silk pocket square.

5. gringodaddy

6. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

square worn and unfolded. great idea! it will help the O.P a lot.[​IMG] (i will add a pic to my post)

more in this format with a little background story would make this a fun thread for readers.

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Definitely - feels unfinished without one.

I don't make a big deal out of it, just stuff it in and arrange a bit artfully.

1 person likes this.
  8. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Even guys who don't like the look should have a white handkerchief folded up and tucked into their breast pocket anyway. It beats using your jacket sleeve to mop up a sweaty brow or runny nose. And a lady will invariably find it useful as well.

9. TheMangelo

TheMangelo Well-Known Member

While I don't disagree with your premise, every lady I've spoken with on the topic of handkerchiefs has invariably been rather repulsed by the idea. Something about the idea of carrying around a wadded-up bundle of cotton and snot in your pocket being unsanitary or something.

Note that they almost always have at least one wadded-up used Kleenex tissue in their purse.

10. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

keep a clean pocket square, if you ever find yourself giving it to a lady. just say "it's ok, i have plenty" . if she says "but it must be expensive. = you say "you can take it home, wash it, and then give it back to me" - you got yourself a number, and/or a next meeting.[​IMG]

11. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Well the goal is to pull a clean one out of your breast pocket if she has an emergency ... not a used one. :D

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I don't know, white linen pocket squares don't look expensive at all =[

13. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

agreed.

have a nice one to give when you need to.

14. TheMangelo

TheMangelo Well-Known Member

See, I know that, and you know that, but that doesn't change the reactions I've seen. :)

Sorry for derailing the thread.

For me: formal occasion is white linen in a TV fold; beyond that I like colours and textures that complement the outfit. I find that a corduroy sport coat with a wool square work very nicely, for example.

What texture of pocket square would work nicely with a slubby linen-cotton sport coat, though? Silk doesn't seem right. Crisp, smooth, cotton or linen?

15. gringodaddy

If it's a nice dry silk with no sheen, why not?

16. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

^^ yes, or a cotton, i have even seen bamboo/cotton, go with what works.

and post a square [​IMG]

17. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

I want to wear pocket squares, but I have to buy them first. I would like to buy two now because there are some sales. But I am confused because there are at least two sizes. I don't know why - assuming the pocket squares are of the same material, and silk seems to be most elegant - why are there various sizes? So for me to choose a pocket square, I'm confronted with the larger and the smaller size, and to simplify matters because of my limited budget, I have silk in mind. And it seems as if the silk pocket squares must have the specification ?

18. gringodaddy

There are pluses and minuses to larger or smaller squares. Larger of course can be unweildy when trying to fold into a pocket, smaller can fall into the pocket during the course of the day. Standard seems to be 12" x 12". I wouldn't go smaller. I have a couple that are larger that I don't have an issue with, but can cause your pocket to bulge.
    Silk or linen are the most easiest to find and the most logical place to start, though I really like wool or wool/silk blends the most of the ones that I own.

19. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

There are pluses and minuses to larger or smaller squares.  Larger of course can be unweildy when trying to fold into a pocket, smaller can fall into the pocket during the course of the day.  Standard seems to be 12" x 12".  I wouldn't go smaller.  I have a couple that are larger that I don't have an issue with, but can cause your pocket to bulge.
    Silk or linen are the most easiest to find and the most logical place to start, though I really like wool or wool/silk blends the most of the ones that I own.
    [/quote

Dear gringodaddy

I'm sorry I didn't give exact measuements - I waa so surprised that one measurement diesn't prevail after so long experience. For example, the smaller is 30cm x 30cm, 350 threads per inch (!?), two-ply silk. For another example, the larger is 40cm x 40cm, 14 momme (?) silk twill. The former is made ib England, the latter in Italy.

According to my check here in Internet, your advised minimum measurement twelve inches by twelve inches is 30.48cm x 30.48cm.

Unfortunately, gringodaddy, you don't elaborate if other advantages and disadvantages are connected with the sizes of the silk. Nor do you explain why you now prefer the woolen-silk mix. But my first problem is the size. But bulging pockets are ugly in any case!

PS: If that photograph is of your own garderobe, I'm very impressed!

20. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Do I Wear A Pocket Square?

Yes, I do.

I find that the smaller 12 x 12 pocket squares work better with patch pockets, which tend to be smaller.

There are more ways to put a pocket square in your pocket than there are days in anyone's life.

Just do it.

2 people like this.