• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Want To Hear New Music From Your Favorite Rock Band From The 70's/80's?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Hmmm, I was all set to agree with Hey Man but you're making me think otherwise.

i'm split. but i will say that between the 2 lists above, there are 8 entire albums i still listen to/actively seek out to hear, along with random songs from some other ones from 1987 vs. everything on the 'this year' list, which i've heard, somewhat appreciated, and most likely will never intentionally think to listen to again.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
This is such revisionist history. If you want good music you will ALWAYS have to look hard for it.

I agree that Gn'R was a great band. So let's look at the year Appetite, a PHENOMENAL ALBUM, came out, 1987. The top 20 albums that year were:

1\tSLIPPERY WHEN WET – Bon Jovi (Mercury)
2\tTHE JOSHUA TREE – U2 (Island)
3\tWHITESNAKE (Geffen)
4\tGRACELAND – Paul Simon (Warner Bros.)
5\tLICENSED TO ILL – The Beastie Boys (Def Jam)
6\tWHITNEY – Whitney Houston (Arista)
7\tTANGO IN THE NIGHT – Fleetwood Mac (Warner Bros.)
8\tBAD ANIMALS – Heart (Capitol)
9\tBIGGER AND DEFFER – L.L. Cool J (Def Jam)
10\tDUOTONES – Kenny G (Arista)
11\tLA BAMBA – Original Soundtrack/Los Lobos (Slash)
12\tINVISIBLE TOUCH – Genesis (Atlantic)
13\tGIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS – Motley Crue (Elektra)
14\tHYSTERIA – Def Leppard (Mercury)
15\tBAD – Michael Jackson (Epic)
16\tIN THE DARK – The Grateful Dead (Arista)
17\tLOOK WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN – Poison (Capitol)
18\tA MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON – Pink Floyd (Columbia)
19\tSOLITUDE STANDING – Suzanne Vega (A&M)
20\tCROWDED HOUSE (Capitol)

Wow. Holy ****, that is some bad music. There are 4 albums in there I would consider worth owning, and no, Bon Jovi isn't one of them.

98% of all music released in the '60s and '70s isn't remembered today. You're highlighting the best and ignoring the great variety of garbage that has always been released. Seriously, pick a year and go back and look at the best selling albums, and you'll see lots of forgettable garbage.

For example, the best-selling album of 1966 was Whipped Cream & Other Delights, by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass. A real "rock god" right there.

You seem to be stuck in a time warp and refuse to acknowledge that music changes over time. There may not be anybody who "rocks" in your sense of the term, but that doesn't mean there aren't bands producing good music, that is listenable and of quality. Just looking at my ipod these are the albums so far from 2010 that I think are really good.

MGMT - Congratulations
Isobel Campbell - Hawk
Blockhead - The Music Scene
Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse - Dark Night of the Soul
Janelle Monae - The ArchAndroid
LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
Massive Attack - Heligoland
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
Goldfrapp - Head First
Bonobo - Black Sands
RJD2 - The Colossus
The Roots - Album name is conspicuously absent and I forget what it is

Will they be remembered in the future? WHO THE **** CARES? I listen to music because I enjoy it, not because you or somebody else says it's good.

With the incredible variety of music available today there's no excuse for saying you don't like contemporary music. You just can't find what you're looking for because you're too lazy to do so. Stop being a whiny old fuddy-dudd and go find the music you want to listen to.

OK well certainly have a different idea of what defines a great rock band, but nonetheless if you go back to the 60's and 70's - sure there was garbage, but there was also TONS of great bands, artists and classic albums that shaped music forever. Do you really need to see a list of the epic bands/atists that were born in the 60's and 70's? It would put this decade and the bands you like to ******* shame.

Look at music per the entire decade - not just one particular year that serves your weak arguement. 1987? Come on. And sorry to tell you this, but even Hysteria, Whitesnake's 1987and Slippery When Wet are of greater musical worth than 95% of the music released today. It's really no wonder as to why retro hard rock bands have been making a comeback.

I am not an old fuddy duddy at all and there are some new rock bands that I like, but do they surpass the older bands - not at all. I am not sure how old you are, but you do sound like one of those emo dweebs, who think AFI, Fall Out Boy, Alexisonfire, New Found Glory and My Chemical Romance ******* kick all kinds of rock ass - but Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Free and Humble Pie ******* suck.

MaxHeadroom

Reaction score
The best music mostly tends to be the music you grew up listening to, and therefore your favourite "era" will probably tie in with your age.

I like classic rock and metal, and don't particularly care for today's modern sounds in this genre, so tend to look for bands still playing in the traditional style.... but "traditional" to what I grew up with.

Today's modern rock / grunge / nu-metal is all doom and gloom... woe is me... listen to my depressing life etc.

But to those growing up with this type of music today, it will be "their" music, and anything beforehand will be old-fashioned.

So I think the appeal of the old bands from the 70's/80's is more likely to fall into one of these categories:

1. The old band has reformed after 10 or 20 years to stage a reunion tour to play their old songs to the people who were their original fans (e.g. The Police, Bad Company).

2. The full band is actually still going strong after all these decades and is still producing new music anyway (e.g. Rolling Stones, Rush, Kiss)

3. One original member is still keeping the band name going with a revolving line-up of musicians, probably to make a decent living from touring the old music, but isn't interested in making anything new.

As to wanting to hear new music, I would probably say yes, but only as long as it was still recognisable as coming from this band. If it was too mellow and laid-back, and sounded like music made by oldies who no longer had it in them to produce the vibrant sound from when they were younger, then I'd say no.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
This is such revisionist history. If you want good music you will ALWAYS have to look hard for it.

I agree that Gn'R was a great band. So let's look at the year Appetite, a PHENOMENAL ALBUM, came out, 1987. The top 20 albums that year were:

1\tSLIPPERY WHEN WET - Bon Jovi (Mercury)
2\tTHE JOSHUA TREE - U2 (Island)
3\tWHITESNAKE (Geffen)
4\tGRACELAND - Paul Simon (Warner Bros.)
5\tLICENSED TO ILL - The Beastie Boys (Def Jam)
6\tWHITNEY - Whitney Houston (Arista)
7\tTANGO IN THE NIGHT - Fleetwood Mac (Warner Bros.)
8\tBAD ANIMALS - Heart (Capitol)
9\tBIGGER AND DEFFER - L.L. Cool J (Def Jam)
10\tDUOTONES - Kenny G (Arista)
11\tLA BAMBA - Original Soundtrack/Los Lobos (Slash)
12\tINVISIBLE TOUCH - Genesis (Atlantic)
13\tGIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS - Motley Crue (Elektra)
14\tHYSTERIA - Def Leppard (Mercury)
15\tBAD - Michael Jackson (Epic)
16\tIN THE DARK - The Grateful Dead (Arista)
17\tLOOK WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN - Poison (Capitol)
18\tA MOMENTARY LAPSE OF REASON - Pink Floyd (Columbia)
19\tSOLITUDE STANDING - Suzanne Vega (A&M)
20\tCROWDED HOUSE (Capitol)

Wow. Holy ****, that is some bad music. There are 4 albums in there I would consider worth owning, and no, Bon Jovi isn't one of them.

98% of all music released in the '60s and '70s isn't remembered today. You're highlighting the best and ignoring the great variety of garbage that has always been released. Seriously, pick a year and go back and look at the best selling albums, and you'll see lots of forgettable garbage.

For example, the best-selling album of 1966 was Whipped Cream & Other Delights, by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass. A real "rock god" right there.

You seem to be stuck in a time warp and refuse to acknowledge that music changes over time. There may not be anybody who "rocks" in your sense of the term, but that doesn't mean there aren't bands producing good music, that is listenable and of quality. Just looking at my ipod these are the albums so far from 2010 that I think are really good.
t is..

Completely agree (although I'd buy five of the old albums. I'm 34 years old and I genuinely think that right now is the best time ever to be a music fan. So much variety available.

That said, I'm not surprised that narrow-minded people have a difficult time with finding new music to like.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Completely agree (although I'd buy five of the old albums. I'm 34 years old and I genuinely think that right now is the best time ever to be a music fan. So much variety available.

That said, I'm not surprised that narrow-minded people have a difficult time with finding new music to like.

Yes, because there wasn't like hundreds of music genre's available decades ago. Sometimes too much variety is a bad thing. Especially when actual music ability is replaced with studio trickery and music genres which require next to no talent at all.

It's one thing to find music to simply like - it's another to be blown away. Name me one band that came out within this decade that truly blows your ******* mind at how great at how great they are and how they will be deemed revolutionary like a slew of 60's/70's bands?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hey Man
OK well certainly have a different idea of what defines a great rock band, but nonetheless if you go back to the 60's and 70's - sure there was garbage, but there was also TONS of great bands, artists and classic albums that shaped music forever.

There may have been TONS of great bands, but there were effing MILLIONS OF TONS of ****** bands. You are forgetting this.

Do you really need to see a list of the epic bands/atists that were born in the 60's and 70's? It would put this decade and the bands you like to ******* shame.
Since this decade is less than 10 months old that wouldn't be a particularly amazing accomplishment.

Look at music per the entire decade - not just one particular year that serves your weak arguement. 1987? Come on.
That was the year of Appetite, dummy, pay attention. If you have another year in mind then please post it.

And sorry to tell you this, but even Hysteria, Whitesnake's 1987and Slippery When Wet are of greater musical worth than 95% of the music released today. It's really no wonder as to why retro hard rock bands have been making a comeback.
Lol, if you like Whitesnake and Bon Jovi then there is no point arguing with you. You have no musical taste, except bad taste.

I am not an old fuddy duddy at all
You are an old fuddy-duddy. You prefer the old and comfortable to the new and different. If you're honest with yourself you'll admit that you like Sabbath and Zeppelin and Deep Purple not because they "ROCK THE FAT ASS MAN!" but because you are comfortable with that music. It doesn't challenge you. It allows you to relive your past where you actually were able to ******** with attractive young women. It reminds of life before you sold out and became a piece of the machine that you rocked against in your youth.

and there are some new rock bands that I like, but do they surpass the older bands - not at all.
What does it even mean to "surpass" another band? Your terms are weak and without meaning. According to you everybody should have just stopped making music after Sgt. Pepper because **** ain't gonna get no better after that.

I am not sure how old you are, but you do sound like one of those emo dweebs, who think AFI, Fall Out Boy, Alexisonfire, New Found Glory and My Chemical Romance ******* kick all kinds of rock ass - but Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Free and Humble Pie ******* suck.
I don't sound like that at all, and I am not a fan of the emo. I love Sabbath and Zeppelin and Deep Purple, but I recognize that they are not the end-all-be-all of music. I can only listen to Master of Reality so many times before I want some variety. Variety.

You are an old fuddy-duddy. I pity your children who have to listen to you whine about how much better things were back in "ye oldern days" while you drive them to soccer practice in your minivan. My grandfather said the same things about the Polka music he used to listen to and now he's dead. Hopefully you'll join him soon and then the two of you can sit in judgment over all those young hip kids having all kinds of sex that you'll never be able to experience again.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Yes, because there wasn't like hundreds of music genre's available decades ago.

Available within a few minutes? No, there wasn't. Mass distribution of music was very limited.

It's one thing to find music to simply like - it's another to be blown away. Name me one band that came out within this decade that truly blows your ******* mind at how great at how great they are and how they will be deemed revolutionary like a slew of 60's/70's bands?
You are basically saying "I love cheeseburgers. Name a food that you like more than cheeseburgers! You can't, can you!"

It's not hard, especially online, to espouse a different opinion and therefore prove your argument invalid. You really seem to struggle with accepting that other people don't think like you do.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are basically saying "I love cheeseburgers. Name a food that you like more than cheeseburgers! You can't, can you!"

All right, now I want a cheeseburger.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No.

**** no.*

*I say that, but the last two Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros albums - but it wasn't as if he reformed the Clash and decided to drop an album like it's 1977.

Hey Man

Reaction score
There may have been TONS of great bands, but there were effing MILLIONS OF TONS of ****** bands. You are forgetting this.

Since this decade is less than 10 months old that wouldn't be a particularly amazing accomplishment.

That was the year of Appetite, dummy, pay attention. If you have another year in mind then please post it.

Lol, if you like Whitesnake and Bon Jovi then there is no point arguing with you. You have no musical taste, except bad taste.

You are an old fuddy-duddy. You prefer the old and comfortable to the new and different. If you're honest with yourself you'll admit that you like Sabbath and Zeppelin and Deep Purple not because they "ROCK THE FAT ASS MAN!" but because you are comfortable with that music. It doesn't challenge you. It allows you to relive your past where you actually were able to ******** with attractive young women. It reminds of life before you sold out and became a piece of the machine that you rocked against in your youth.

What does it even mean to "surpass" another band? Your terms are weak and without meaning. According to you everybody should have just stopped making music after Sgt. Pepper because **** ain't gonna get no better after that.

I don't sound like that at all, and I am not a fan of the emo. I love Sabbath and Zeppelin and Deep Purple, but I recognize that they are not the end-all-be-all of music. I can only listen to Master of Reality so many times before I want some variety. Variety.

You are an old fuddy-duddy. I pity your children who have to listen to you whine about how much better things were back in "ye oldern days" while you drive them to soccer practice in your minivan. My grandfather said the same things about the Polka music he used to listen to and now he's dead. Hopefully you'll join him soon and then the two of you can sit in judgment over all those young hip kids having all kinds of sex that you'll never be able to experience again.

But nobody cares about all the ****** bands that existed in the 60's and 70's, because as a whole - the 60's and 70's are widely considered the greatest decades ever for music. Most greatest album lists contain the albums from that time period of any other decade. There many hundreds if not thousands of artists from those two decades of various music gene's that have shaped and revolutionized music.

Don't forget that the stance you were originally taking is that yes, most music does suck today, but if you search for it - you can find great music. That is the direct opposite of the 60's and 70's. If you wanted to find good music say if you were a hard rock fan, it was all around you and not hard to find at all. I was 5 years old when I got into KISS and Alice Cooper in the early 70's.

I mentioned Appetite for Destruction jackass, because Guns N' Roses were considered the Zeppelin of the late 80's and early 90's. They didn't even really break until 1988, so I don't even know why you posted a chart list 1987 of various artists since I wasn't defending the 80's in the first place.

Look, there are bands that have come along in the 60's and 70's that changed music forever and started new generations of rock bands that were influenced by these artists, but obviously added their own thing to it. To give you an example - Soundgarden is really just a grungy mixture of Sabbath and Zeppelin. The point is that we now have like 63 rock bands that sound just like Nickelback and the band that you do like and listed - nobody cares about for most part, so they won't define this music generation. When they look back to discuss music in the 2000's, they won't even know the music you like existed to even bother talking about it. But in previous decades, the greatest bands in the world were at the forefront of music and will be remembered long after we all die.

Would you like my list of the modern bands I like, so maybe you can see that I am not an old fogey?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
But nobody cares about all the ****** bands that existed in the 60's and 70's, because as a whole - the 60's and 70's are widely considered the greatest decades ever for music. Most greatest album lists contain the albums from that time period of any other decade. There many hundreds if not thousands of artists from those two decades of various music gene's that have shaped and revolutionized music.

Another reason you get outdebated in every argument you make - you make statements that you genuinely believe are real but that there is no proof for, or if there is, you never post it.

So other people are able to provide conflicting statements that they can support with facts, and make you look silly.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Available within a few minutes? No, there wasn't. Mass distribution of music was very limited.

It's not hard, especially online, to espouse a different opinion and therefore prove your argument invalid. You really seem to struggle with accepting that other people don't think like you do.

I am not asking for various opinions on the internet - I am talking to you. Name me a new band that blows your ******* mind. It's hard to answer isn't it.

I bought plenty of music - blues, jazz, classical, rock, hard rock, new age, alternative, electronica, soul, etc. at a ******* record store. My huge music collection didn't need the internet to be built.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bunch of writers who grew up on '60s and '70s rock often list '60s and '70s rock among the greatest of all time? You don't say...

Hey Man

Reaction score
Another reason you get outdebated in every argument you make - you make statements that you genuinely believe are real but that there is no proof for, or if there is, you never post it.

So other people are able to provide conflicting statements that they can support with facts, and make you look silly.

Do I really need to provide proof for you that the decades that shaped many genre's of music are considered the greatest? From rock to soul to jazz to punk to country. It really goes without saying and to argue against it would make you look stupid. Do you really think the 80's, 90's and 00's are considered greater?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not asking for various opinions on the internet - I am talking to you. Name me a new band that blows your ******* mind. It's hard to answer isn't it.
Define 'new band.'

Because we're old and jaded. When you have a job (and family, and kids), spending insane amounts of money and time delving into new music is less feasible. I'd rather put on Minor Threat than figure out what band of 20-year olds is making decent hardcore today.

that said, great albums released in the last couple of years:
The XX
LCD Soundsytem's newest
Best Coast
the Hold Steady (cheating, I guess, Stay Positive is 2008 and I don't like the new one)
Sarah Jaffe
Ray Lamontaigne
Black Keys
Big Boi
Sleigh Bells

and this is coming from someone who doesn't read Pitchfork or even try to keep up anymore

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics