1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you utilize your local library?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Kent Wang, Jun 7, 2006.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

Our local small town libraries only have romance novels and other trash. Our kids do make weekly trips to the fairly decent kids sections, though. Like Kent, I generally don't use libraries unless it's a college library, and I haven't even done that in years.

Kent, can't you check out books from UT simply as a resident of Texas? I know in Kentucky any Kentuckian can use the UK library.

that's too bad. our village is about 6,000 people, and our library has pretty much everything you could want, including the NYTimes best seller list, and a lot of new fiction and non-fiction.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

Well, somebody's got to cover my salary. Even though I'm biased, I think that buying books is one of those things we should just do. If you value current writing, and you're not broke, you should help support writers and publishers by buying books. And even though books are extraordinarily cheap right now by historical standards, I'm personally doing my best to make them cheaper; paperback originals now run between $12 and $16, much less if you buy from Amazon.

Libraries are great, too, especially for children's books, which are expensive and short.

I have always agreed to that, and now I am not so sure. I am moving 40 boxes, each about 50 pounds, of books - by far the largest part of my house by wieght. most I have read once, some as long as 20 years ago. so while I love my books, and love to be able to pull out a book and lend it to a friend, I am also not sure if I should buy every book my household wants to read.

btw - it was very nice meeting you and your wife the other day. it is great to put a face on you.

3. tsloop

tsloop Senior Member

that's too bad. our village is about 6,000 people, and our library has pretty much everything you could want, including the NYTimes best seller list, and a lot of new fiction and non-fiction.

That makes me mad that I live here:
    http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/nationa...ies041228.html
    Our main library is only open 12 hours a week, and for a while they were shut down completely, leaving us as the biggest city without a public library. Pretty sad for the home of Steinbeck.

4. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

NYPL is insane. I could spends days just going through their dance collection.

I use my local library for out-of-print books or books I'm not sure about, and occasionally to browse through magazines.

--Andre

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I believe state universities allow state residents to have access to their libraries; is that not the case any longer, or does it depend on the state?
    Thanks, I didn't know about this. I found that there is a $40 annual fee for state residents but I can have it waived through an arcane procedure.
    paperback originals now run between $12 and $16, much less if you buy from Amazon.
    Yes, but if I were to build a library I would only purchase hardbacks. I'd just rather spend my money on other things.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I used to go to my local library because they had some rare books from the early 20th century, which of course nobody checked out. I accidently lost them and had to pay for them, which was about $50 each book.

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Stylish Dinosaur

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I used to go to my local library because they had some rare books from the early 20th century, which of course nobody checked out. I accidently lost them and had to pay for them, which was about $50 each book.
    "accidently"? Were they first editions?

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

How did you manage to do that?

Jon.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

They were first editions published by the Belgians in the 1920s using photos from the late 19th century about the various Russian imperial palaces and had photos of all the furniture, etc. including The Amber Room, which of course is lost.

I lost them due to the vacuum that is my "bookcase".

10. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

I use university based libraries almost exclusively (80-90%). I spend at least 30 minutes per day reading from electonic reserves, usually science based periodicals that are either too cumbersome to acquire in print version or too expensive to maintain a web based subscription. BTW, the University of California and Stanford are both wonderful for these services.

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Distinguished Member

I don't have a local library at all. Used it religiously when I did, however. I don't really agree with making books cheaper across the line -- I buy mainly used books (and paperbacks in the rarest of circumstances) because the new ones are often poorly bound and garrish. The last new book I bought was four or five years ago -- Philip Greenspun's Travels with Samantha. Yes, you can read it online, and I did, which made me need to have it IRL. Regards, Huntsman

12. stach

stach Senior Member

Local library: Free Dvd's[​IMG]

koji

Absolutely! Plus librarians can be fun to date. [​IMG]

13. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I am typing this in the Brooklyn Public Library, which I have been using almost daily since I don't have the internet in the apartment that I am subleting. I love having my own books, but I find myself reading more library books recently (possibly because I can't spend all of my time on the internet). Also, the reference section is amazing, so many good photo, art, architecture, music books which I could never afford. The only downside is the amount of strange/smelly people who also use this place.

14. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

The local libraries around here are generally poor. Children's books, Tom Clancy, Steven King, etc.

I don't mind buying good books, especially since they are so cheap in used condition on amazon or abebooks. I prefer used books, they smell nicer and have a little bit of a history.

15. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The local libraries around here are generally poor. Children's books, Tom Clancy, Steven King, etc.
    You can always take advantage of interlibrary loan.