• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Do you use table cloths at home?

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes and No. Growing up we would put a fresh table cloth on the dining room table every night (after taking off the day use one) and set the table properly. Now that I am out on my own, my table is one which is best without the cloth, though I would consider it just to keep the glossy surface from getting scratched all to hell.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My table growing up was wood so nothing could go directly on it but it usually got placemats and a runner instead of a full tablecloth.

I currently have a round table (the yellow version of this ) which is painted in something that reminds me more of car paint. I roll with just placemats to prevent scratching but still show the color.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends if we want to see a tablecloth or not.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One is always on the table, but we rarely eat at the table unless we have guests.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
Only for holiday, formal or semi-formal dinners/gatherings.

This.

Typically we use placemats and some sort of a trivet if a hot serving dish needs to be placed on the table.

turboman808

Reaction score
Really easy to scratch a real wood table so I always keep one on.

summej2

Reaction score
Place mats on a regular basis, occasionally a table cloth if we feel like it, white damask for more formal meals with guests.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Depends if we want to see a tablecloth or not.

This and I don't like to see them.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
We usually only go with placemats when we're not just eating at our desks or on the road, but we also don't have our "real" table in place. It's an older oak table with marble top and we're working on refinishing it to match some antique pieces in the room. Most of our tableclothes are for that table, not the temporary one we're using.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Grew up in a household that always used tablecloths. I don't plan to whenever I get around to buying a dining table.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the Dining Room, yes; in the Kitchen, no (sometimes placemats).

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our table has a fitted 1/3" pad that looks like actual woodgrain from more than a couple of yards away. Pad lives on the table 24/7.

Tablecloth only comes out when we've got guests of the sort who would knock before entering our home rather than just letting themselves in through the usually-unlocked door.

Most of those who know where our home is would fit into the latter category.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.