• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you use MSG?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, MSG is a great flavour enhancer and perfectly safe. Health risks associated with MSG is unsubstantiated and pretty much started by one guy who had a headache after eating Chinese food 30 years ago.

A lot of anti-MSG people actually consume MSG without knowing as companies use different terms now for it because of the negative perception. MSG is just about the safest additive you can put in your food and occur naturally in high quantities in seafood and cheeses and good old Vegemite.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
My mom has always cooked with MSG. I thought it was pretty traditional to Chinese cooking.

+1. My dad who used to be a chef says its mandatory

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ajinomoto.jpg

NMW1982

Reaction score
Can you tell me what exactly an "MSG reaction" is?

Originally Posted by iammatt
Oddly enough, I think I might have had an MSG reaction last night. It was French/Cal food, not Chinese, so I am kind of skeptical about it being MSG, but I've had them before, and the symptoms were identical. Sfield, are high end places using this **** now?

NMW1982

Reaction score
I hope you realize that MSG is in many ways just a form of salt. When you eat extremely salty things, you're going to get thirsty. The negative perception of MSG in this country is nothing more than a reflection of the West's ignorance/xenophobia towards things Asian.

I also hope you realize that the Japanese food that white people have put on a pedestal are chalk-full of MSG, as MSG was invented by Dr. Kikunae Ikeda of Japan. Imagine the horror on white people's faces when they learn that the Japanese food they've been worshiping is actually packed full of MSG.

The only reaction I really get is a swollen tongue, and lot of thirsty. See poast 6. I've experimented a bit here.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
^^^ Imagine the horror on Chinese people's faces when they learn that the Chinese food they've been worshiping is actually packed full of an additive developed by the small Japanese devils.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a chinese cook book from the 50's and they talked about "gourmet powder"

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NMW1982
I hope you realize that MSG is in many ways just a form of salt. When you eat extremely salty things, you're going to get thirsty. The negative perception of MSG in this country is nothing more than a reflection of the West's ignorance/xenophobia towards things Asian. I also hope you realize that the Japanese food that white people have put on a pedestal are chalk-full of MSG, as MSG was invented by Dr. Kikunae Ikeda of Japan. Imagine the horror on white people's faces when they learn that the Japanese food they've been worshiping is actually packed full of MSG.
What you mean roundeye? Me no speaky tee engrish so not unnerstand.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
ajinomoto.jpg

My gf's mom has been a test chef at this company for many years, so we end up with tons of Ajinomoto castoff freebies at my house all the time. They make Hon dashi, they have Knorr licensed in Japan and so they make a lot of soups and buillon cubes, a lot of instant Chinese and pasta sauces, the straight MSG in a shaker, they are in the business of MSG and they make a **** ton of stuff. We can't bring ourselves to eat the stuff though, and neither does the mom. She still shaves fish blocks for making dashi.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
there is only one easy way to UMAMI and thats MSG.

as a sidenote, I find it ludicrous ajinomoto implies in their marketing campaign they're the source of umami.

Originally Posted by Eason
^^^ Imagine the horror on Chinese people's faces when they learn that the Chinese food they've been worshiping is actually packed full of an additive developed by the small Japanese devils.

and I couldn't imagine how it found its way to chinese shores, given it came from japan

What you mean roundeye? Me no speaky tee engrish so not unnerstand.

why you hate us olientars?
plain.gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Both of you are awful.

socialdtk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Yup, MSG is a great flavour enhancer and perfectly safe. Health risks associated with MSG is unsubstantiated and pretty much started by one guy who had a headache after eating Chinese food 30 years ago.

A lot of anti-MSG people actually consume MSG without knowing as companies use different terms now for it because of the negative perception. MSG is just about the safest additive you can put in your food and occur naturally in high quantities in seafood and cheeses and good old Vegemite.

I'm highly allergic to MSG and the misdirection of food manufactures has made my allergy very difficult to deal with. Within seconds of consuming MSG my mouth begins to swell and develop blisters. A few minutes later a migraine sets in and any amount of light becomes unbearable. These symptoms last for around 3 days and slowly start to fade afterwards. This means that if I accidently consume MSG, I'm unable to work and tend to other responsibilities for at least three days.

Over the years I've compiled a list of nearly 50 names that food companies use for MSG. The moment I learn that a company uses MSG in any of their products I avoid purchasing anything they produce. Shopping isn't easy and is for the most part limited to cooking all meals using basic ingredients.

With that being said, recently I began having reactions to some fruits purchased from major retail chains such as Wal-Mart, Food-Lion, and Bi-Lo. After researching the cause of these reactions I found that MSG is being used as a preservative that is sprayed upon the fruit after being picked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads