• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you use MSG?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering who among you use MSG in your cooking?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if people still use msg for non-commercial cooking

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
I'd be surprised if people still use msg for non-commercial cooking
Oddly enough, I think I might have had an MSG reaction last night. It was French/Cal food, not Chinese, so I am kind of skeptical about it being MSG, but I've had them before, and the symptoms were identical. Sfield, are high end places using this **** now?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gotta be honest, I didn't know that anyone outside of food "manufacturers" and crappy restaurants (well, and probably some not-so-crappy places too, unfortunately) used actual MSG powder. It was only fairly recently that I even noticed that jarred MSG was available at the supermarket, right with all the other dried herbs and spices. Kind of shocked me that it was available and sold that way.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My mom has always cooked with MSG. I thought it was pretty traditional to Chinese cooking.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I've gotta be honest, I didn't know that anyone outside of food "manufacturers" and crappy restaurants (well, and probably some not-so-crappy places too, unfortunately) used actual MSG powder. It was only fairly recently that I even noticed that jarred MSG was available at the supermarket, right with all the other dried herbs and spices. Kind of shocked me that it was available and sold that way.
It's funny. When I was a young kid my father owned a spice company, so we had at least one of every spice around. MSG was definitely part of the set, and this was the late 70s early 80s. Nobody used it at our house, though. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of it being used in molecular cuisine places, now that I think about it.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Oddly enough, I think I might have had an MSG reaction last night. It was French/Cal food, not Chinese, so I am kind of skeptical about it being MSG, but I've had them before, and the symptoms were identical. Sfield, are high end places using this **** now?
Definitely. From talking to chefs, many view using MSG as merely a perception problem, and worth the rare bad reaction so long as it's hidden. It seems to be trending into grater visibility since the cancer concerns have largely been debunked and "umami" is a catchall.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is only one easy way to UMAMI and thats MSG.

I've been tricked into eating things with MSG and realized there is a weirdly awesome synergy of tastes that happens when its put into certain things - like hamburgers.

I realize that most of the major health threats involved with MSG consumption has been debunked, but I do get headaches after eating MSG ladened meals.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
there is only one easy way to UMAMI and thats MSG.

I've been tricked into eating things with MSG and realized there is a weirdly awesome synergy of tastes that happens when its put into certain things - like hamburgers.

I realize that most of the major health threats involved with MSG consumption has been debunked, but I do get headaches after eating MSG ladened meals.

The only reaction I really get is a swollen tongue, and lot of thirsty. See poast 6. I've experimented a bit here.

iampeter

Reaction score
could any of these reactoins(thirsty e.g.) be a simple Salt reaction from the sodium in MSG? my mother adds MSG to vegetables but i am not sure if she adds it to anything else.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iampeter
could any of these reactoins(thirsty e.g.) be a simple Salt reaction from the sodium in MSG? my mother adds MSG to vegetables but i am not sure if she adds it to anything else.

yup, headache, and swelling sure excess salt can cause that.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's common in many asian places.. pho doesn't taste the same without MSG, and yes I know of a few chefs who use it on purpose and proudly. There's a sort of stoner food/kitsch aspect that appeals to younger cheeky chefs that enjoy asian hole in the wall/street food. You'd never see this in strictly western cuisine.

I was just wondering what home cooks use it. I have friends with very fine palates who swear that it elevates dishes, so I won't argue with them. These are asian guys so there's a tasting memory that goes along with it.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
is msg the same thing as, or similar to "accents?" i was going through my gf's grandmothers recipes and this term kept appearing. i imagined she just meant herbs/aromatics, but her mother thought it described something similar to msg.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads