• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do You Use Handkerchiefs?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't mean decorative pocket handkerchiefs for a jacket's breast pocket, but rather a handkerchief for one's assorted hygienic needs.

One problem I've encountered is that when you spray your handkerchief with scent, more often than not, there's a slight stain.

lordofpi

Reaction score
Personally, my view on this is that since the modern innovation of the mass production and ubiquity of disposable facial tissues (and soft ones at that), I no longer see the need to soil good linen save in an emergency. And yet I much enjoy cloth napkins at restaurants over paper (though this is because I don't have to launder them, I suppose).

The handkerchief just never seemed all that sanitary to me anyway.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have kept a handkerchief in my back pocket since I was in grade school.
I have been given plenty of crap by people that they are dirty, unsanitary. they are put in the laundry hamper at the end of the day.
I had terrible allergies when I was younger. Sneezing, need to blow my nose etc.
now i use them more to wipe my brow.

shamless plug. i have beenmaking some handkercheifs from some italina self plaid batiste.
they can even be monogrammed.

Carl

Brian SD

Reaction score
One problem I've encountered is that when you spray your handkerchief with scent, more often than not, there's a slight stain.

Chloroform will do that.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Until I stumbled onto this board I always thought pocket squares were handkerchiefs. When I was a child I always had one in one of my pockets somewhere, some were the size of pocket squares, some were much larger.

As far as hygiene, I received a clean one every day but it still felt a little weird putting a used hanky back in my pocket. My father on the other hand must have kept his for weeks or months between washes. I tried never to let him near me with one, and I'm fairly certain the mental scaring from its contact will never go away.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
I have kept a handkerchief in my back pocket since I was in grade school.

Same here, except it went in my hip pocket. Our teachers would check that we were in uniform and had our handkerchiefs in our pockets every day.

To this day before leaving the house I make sure I have a handkerchief in my pocket.

Suits You Sir!

Reaction score
They are vile things.
What's wrong with a small pack of disposable tissues stored somewhere they can't be seen? At least they can quickly be disposed of once soiled.

andyw

Reaction score
I keep a white hanky, linen or cotton in my inside breast pocket during the summer. I hate showing up to a meeting with sweat on my face, a particularly reliable occurence in summer in NYC and especially after exiting the hot subway platform. The rest of the year, no.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As I have many in supply, I carry one in the summer months to swipe the sweat from my brow. On occasion it is also used to wipe tears from the face of a fair maiden.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also use them during the summer months.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't mean decorative pocket handkerchiefs for a jacket's breast pocket, but rather a handkerchief for one's assorted hygienic needs.

Yes, I always have a plain white cotton hanky folded in my trouser pocket, just in case. On average, I end up using them every other day or so they have definite utility.

They look nicer than tissues, feel nicer than tissues and just get thrown in the wash with other items so aren't troublesome to care for and are more environmentally friendly than paper, to boot (not usually a particular concern for me, but if I can have a better experience AND be green, then why not).

I don't believe there's any sort of significant hygiene issue with their use for the average person with a normal immune system, so I completely discount that as a reason for me not to use them.

I don't spritz them with scent though, so can't advise on that LK! I make do with the fragrant fume of Persil Non-Bio...
laugh.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one in my pocket or briefcase daily.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terribly declasse of me, I know, but my "one for blowin'," etc., is invariably a large cotton bandana. Useful for a variety of purposes. Naturally, I don't let it be seen in public--that's what the "one for showin'" is for!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The trick to getting a nicely laundered handkerchief is, after it has been washed, press the square onto your tiled bathroom wall or a pane of glass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads