Do You Use Handkerchiefs?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Aug 16, 2008.

1. modmica

modmica Senior member

I use them. Cotton bandanas when doing yard work or that type of thing. White cotton when at work or going out.

2. Skyler

Skyler Senior member

What else to offer a lady after you break her heart?

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I carry one every day. I picked up the habit from my father who always has one. They're very useful. I can't imagine not having one with me.

4. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

As I have many in supply, I carry one in the summer months to swipe the sweat from my brow. On occasion it is also used to wipe tears from the face of a fair maiden.

This is a habit I need to cultivate. Tonight I went dancing with my wife. The only things available to me to wipe the sweat from my brow were a barnap or my Kent Wang silk pocket square. Guess which I picked.

5. Jaykachu

Jaykachu New Member

handkercheif not uncle meh =\\ tissue can just throw no need extratrouble to wash it

6. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Rear left pocket or inside breast. Just simple cotton, for emergencies. Obviously if you have a cold or allergies and anticipate relieving yourself of mucous in some significant quanity, you would also bring disposable tissues.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Snuff-takers used to carry a big patterned handkerchief since nasal snuff causes a certain kind of leakage.

They were patterned for a practical reason.

8. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Senior member

I use cotton handkerchiefs, because I simply have not found a paper tissue yet, that did not have two gigantic holes in it, after blowing my nose. So go figure, where the ammo went...

9. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Yes - I carry a freshly laundered one every day, either in my left pant pocket or my inside left coat pocket. Nothing like offering a fresh hankie to a female, whether she has spilt a drink etc. or just needs to wipe a tear..
    As I have many in supply, I carry one in the summer months to swipe the sweat from my brow. On occasion it is also used to wipe tears from the face of a fair maiden.
    - you are a class act Mr Wang!
    The trick to getting a nicely laundered handkerchief is, after it has been washed, press the square onto your tiled bathroom wall or a pane of glass.
    - please elaborate? Which reminds me, it is Sunday night & time to iron my hankies..

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yes - I carry a freshly laundered one every day, either in my left pant pocket or my inside left coat pocket. Nothing like offering a fresh hankie to a female, whether she has spilt a drink etc. or just needs to wipe a tear.. - you are a class act Mr Wang! - please elaborate? Which reminds me, it is Sunday night & time to iron my hankies..
    After you've washed them, press the wet handkerchiefs onto a smooth flat surface such as a tiled bathroom wall. They will then dry flat.

11. Syl

Syl Senior member

I use them.

12. Maximus Mark

Maximus Mark Senior member

No. Tissues are more hygienic.

13. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

After you've washed them, press the wet handkerchiefs onto a smooth flat surface such as a tiled bathroom wall. They will then dry flat.
    - so no ironing?

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

- so no ironing?

Indeed.

15. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Very useful for wiping the brow in the summer and for the odd nose emergency in the cold and flu season. Clearly tissue is cleaner and more hygienic, but I have found a nice, clean handkerchief a real lifesaver right before a meeting on more than one occasion.