1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do You Use Handkerchiefs?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Rear left pocket or inside breast. Just simple cotton, for emergencies. Obviously if you have a cold or allergies and anticipate relieving yourself of mucous in some significant quanity, you would also bring disposable tissues.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Snuff-takers used to carry a big patterned handkerchief since nasal snuff causes a certain kind of leakage.

They were patterned for a practical reason.

3. Schnurretiger

Schnurretiger Senior member

I use cotton handkerchiefs, because I simply have not found a paper tissue yet, that did not have two gigantic holes in it, after blowing my nose. So go figure, where the ammo went...

4. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Yes - I carry a freshly laundered one every day, either in my left pant pocket or my inside left coat pocket. Nothing like offering a fresh hankie to a female, whether she has spilt a drink etc. or just needs to wipe a tear..
    As I have many in supply, I carry one in the summer months to swipe the sweat from my brow. On occasion it is also used to wipe tears from the face of a fair maiden.
    - you are a class act Mr Wang!
    The trick to getting a nicely laundered handkerchief is, after it has been washed, press the square onto your tiled bathroom wall or a pane of glass.
    - please elaborate? Which reminds me, it is Sunday night & time to iron my hankies..

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yes - I carry a freshly laundered one every day, either in my left pant pocket or my inside left coat pocket. Nothing like offering a fresh hankie to a female, whether she has spilt a drink etc. or just needs to wipe a tear.. - you are a class act Mr Wang! - please elaborate? Which reminds me, it is Sunday night & time to iron my hankies..
    After you've washed them, press the wet handkerchiefs onto a smooth flat surface such as a tiled bathroom wall. They will then dry flat.

6. Syl

Syl Senior member

I use them.

7. Maximus Mark

Maximus Mark Senior member

No. Tissues are more hygienic.

8. GuidoWongolini

After you've washed them, press the wet handkerchiefs onto a smooth flat surface such as a tiled bathroom wall. They will then dry flat.
    - so no ironing?

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

- so no ironing?

Indeed.

10. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Very useful for wiping the brow in the summer and for the odd nose emergency in the cold and flu season. Clearly tissue is cleaner and more hygienic, but I have found a nice, clean handkerchief a real lifesaver right before a meeting on more than one occasion.

11. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Your own handkerchief isn't going to hurt you, so I don't really understand the hygiene concerns.

If you are sick, you should probably use tissues, but you'll still have to wash your hands frequently to avoid spreading it.

12. GuidoWongolini

Your own handkerchief isn't going to hurt you, so I don't really understand the hygiene concerns.

If you are sick, you should probably use tissues, but you'll still have to wash your hands frequently to avoid spreading it.

& to learn to sneeze or cough in your elbow not hands!

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

why so you get your suit jackets all slimed up?

PS

where do you get those horizontal stripped socks from, they're pretty cool.

14. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

I think they're gross for anything other than mopping up sweat. I don't carry one however.

I don't want to blow my nose and then fold it up and put back in my pocket.

15. Beefeater

Beefeater Member

I carry one for weddings and funerals.

16. Arman

Arman Member

I keep one in my back pocket usually. Use that to dry my hands after a visit to the rest room. Some dudes now a days don't wash hands. I got tired of trying to use my elbow to push the paper towel dispenser down after taking care of business after I tore a shirt on a sharp edge.

17. GuidoWongolini

why so you get your suit jackets all slimed up?

PS

where do you get those horizontal stripped socks from, they're pretty cool.

- OK I should have been clearer, obviously not when it a snotty of phlegm cough
    - germs are exchanged via hand shakes etc.

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Irish Linen handkerchiefs are the best, but rather pricey. Indeed, some are pricier than decorative silk pocket handkerchiefs.

19. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Most everybody in Japan carries a handkerchief; there are very few restrooms that provide paper towels and so you carry a handkerchief in your pocket... even my younger students have them.

As for me, when I'm there, I use one... of course heavily scented (depending on the handkerchief in question and the season). Usually, I'll douse it in a light, citrus eau de Cologne like Berdoues or Cologne Sologne, in winter, something dry and leathery (Knize Ten works pretty well)...

They are also very easy/convenient things to give as gifts... so by now I've probably received a few dozen of them, everything from the usual Japan-favorite Euro brands (Burberry, Fendi, YSL, etc.) to some much more interesting ones made in various traditional Japanese textiles and patterns. Some are so nice I couldn't imagine drying my hands on them or blowing my nose in them...

20. Classically

Classically Senior member

I usually keep one on me whenever I can. Although, usually it's a bandana to dry the sweat off of my forehead during swing dancing. Apparently ladies don't like sweaty leads... Though, I never thought to use them to dry my hands. Guess I'll have to get more then...