• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

do you use hair products before or after you blow dry your hair?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
What men blow dry their hair? Or need to add "volume" to it?

I blow-dry my hair, it's quicker. I put a little bit of product after it is dry.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never figured out how anyone could put gel/putty/wax in their hair after they dry it- it just ends up wadding the hair together into matted-down ugliness. I'm not very good at it, but I put product in while it's still wet then blow dry it, then try to use my fingers to get it rest in the final place.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I've never figured out how anyone could put gel/putty/wax in their hair after they dry it- it just ends up wadding the hair together into matted-down ugliness. I'm not very good at it, but I put product in while it's still wet then blow dry it, then try to use my fingers to get it rest in the final place.

I used to gel my hair for years before noticing that it isn't aesthtically pleasing or the most sensual/sexual thing to do when someone cannot stroke your hair without washing their hands afterwards.

I will not put anything in my hair for all the tea in China.

haruki

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
I usualy dry my hair first at least a little, I find the product works better when my hair is not soaking wet.

Exactly. Slightly damp is best. If you have long hair, or hair that holds water, blow drying might be expedient. A spray bottle with water can get you back to slightly damp if required.

-cb

insomb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haruki
Exactly. Slightly damp is best. If you have long hair, or hair that holds water, blow drying might be expedient. A spray bottle with water can get you back to slightly damp if required. -cb
What kind of product are you guys talking about? Anytime I use pomade or fiber when my hair's wet I can never tell if it's being distributed equally or where it's going. I have to towel dry first. But I'm thinking about growing my hair out a little and doing something like below (left side). I think a blow dryer might help with product already in a semi-damp hair, to make bangs look more whispy and shattered than just putting it in and ******* with it.

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Like someone said, it really depends on the product. I use a Pomade/Wax blend (sumotech) and I usually let my hair dry while eating breakfast before applying product. If I am in a hurry, I will blow dry then apply.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads