• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you trust a brand when it ventures outside its core competency?

stevejobs

Reaction score
I have always thought luxury brands like Ralph Lauren made quality clothes, but I am more hesitant to buy their products that stray from their core historic competencies. A designer like Ralph Lauren might know how to assess fabric quality and contruct a garment well, but he and his staff are not experts in the home furnishings or decoration (even paints!) market, so those products are of suspect value, given the price premium for the brand.

Consumers do not know what they are getting because the brand's strength weakens as it strays farther and farther outside its historic roots, from which its reputation was built. How does one justify patronizing a brand if most of the non-core products are outsourced to white label manufacturers? Is mere association with a brand enough to confer the aura of luxury upon goods that don't in of themselves have the same reputation as the core product?

What say you?

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
They start up whole new departments and sink money into it.

At the end of the day, if it looks good, and the quality is there, do what you want. that being said it's prob overpriced.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Generally speaking, no. However, there are exceptions such as shoes from Ralph Lauren.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think more often than not it is a licensing deal where (in your example) Lauren is merely selling the rights to the use of his name on a certain line of products. In most cases I tend to shy away, or judge the product soley on its own merits, disregarding the "designer" name.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sites like Styleforum helps people to assess relative quality without being clouded by brand-names. Nontheless, brand name still drives a lot of purchases, but probably because people start buying the image something confers rather than quality.

Examples,

RL purple label shoes are Edward Green made; that's very very good stuff. Purple Label suits are St. Andrews, that's also high quality stuff there.

I can't speak about Ralph Lauren paint, but I would trust that some paint aficionado website would do some objective analysis. Most likely RL would re-badge some high quality paint.

I do have a problem about the likes of Cucinelli when it strays into other clothing items. According to some objective reviews posted here previously, the quality did not justify the price. Same thing when Ferragamo strays into suits. But this goes to my original assertion that sometimes people buy into the idea of a lifestyle (Cucinelli = Italian gentry) and actually ignore the quality.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is a difference, though, between RL shoes and RL paint (I think). Of course all brands license everything out to others; it isn't cost effective to have little old ladies hired by RL to sit in his studio and sew every garment.

But, he's a clothing designer, so all things related to clothes makes sense and, assuming they license it well, I'm for it.

Paint, though? I mean... I know RL is trying to make himself (or HAS made himself) into an entire lifestyle brand, but I agree the idea is sort of corny.

Wvillager

Reaction score
On this topic what about the sudden proliferation of Missoni-labeled products in discounters. No desire for a Missoni leather belt.

HermesGuy

Reaction score
Varies by brand. For years Givency and Valentino (and Cardin, and lots of others) licensed their names to anything and everything if it meant a buck. (Most of these companies have done away with this practice as it destroyed their brands.)
As for PRL I can only attest to what I have seen recently and that is that PRL has an enormous building on Madison Avenue, across the street from Polo fashion, which is dedicated to PRL-Home. It is comprised of hundreds of people who create, with exhausting precision, the entire PRL Home collection. It's amazing and incredibly impressive. They slave over every detail.
The same cannot be said for Tiffany, for example, and their various "designer" labels (Paloma Picasso, for example).

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I love my Usher cologne

You mean the ladies love your Usher cologne.

Amazing how many of these wastes of space also fancy themselves to be superb fragrance creators.

micbain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I love my Usher cologne

lol8[1].gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
You mean the ladies love your Usher cologne. Amazing how many of these wastes of space also fancy themselves to be superb fragrance creators.
Exactly. Or, in the case of P.Diddy, they're just smart enough to copy an established classic that's usually too expensive for the masses to buy (in this case, Unforgivable= Creed MI).
Originally Posted by HermesGuy
Varies by brand. For years Givency and Valentino (and Cardin, and lots of others) licensed their names to anything and everything if it meant a buck. (Most of these companies have done away with this practice as it destroyed their brands.) .
Yep... they all did it and it just about killed the lot of them. Dior, YSL, Balenciaga were some of the worst offenders, but they have managed to get their credibility back up. Cardin is so diluted nothing could bring him back, IMHO. Others never really licensed too much CRAPPY stuff, but they just made too many diffusion lines and it lead to confusion. Gianfranco Ferre and Versace fall into this category... at one point there was Gianfranco Ferre, Ferre, Ferre Jeans, Ferre Studio, GFF, Gieffeffe, Ferre Studio 0001, Oaks Ferre, etc. etc. etc. With Versace, they had Versace V2, V2 Classic, Gianni Versace, Gianni Versace Couture, Versus, Versace Jeans Couture, Versace Sport, etc. etc. etc. The latter two have streamlined (like Valentino), with Versace getting closer to being on track and Ferre still a long way to go. Valentino seems to have done pretty well, though...

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RL paint was at one point made by Sherwin-Williams. I good friend of mine was the assistant plant manager in Emeryville, CA and told me as much. This was back in 2000, so they may have farmed-out the production to another since then; I really don't know.

In my friend's opinion, the quality of the paint was pretty much the same as the SW top-line; the main difference was the exact colors in the RL line, oh-so-slightly different than what was in the SW lines.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
RL paint was at one point made by Sherwin-Williams. I good friend of mine was the assistant plant manager in Emeryville, CA and told me as much. This was back in 2000, so they may have farmed-out the production to another since then; I really don't know.

In my friend's opinion, the quality of the paint was pretty much the same as the SW top-line; the main difference was the exact colors in the RL line, oh-so-slightly different than what was in the SW lines.

Great information. I wonder if it's still Sherwin-Williams. Great company and excellent service.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads