• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you think the suit jacket is too big for me?

rad0

Reaction score
Please just let me know if the suit jacket is too big or not. Find it too difficult to make a decision on my own as I don't have much exprience in this suit stuff. I am attaching a few pictures. http://i51.tinypic.com/v2tve0.jpg Thanks

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to tell much from this picture, but it does look too big, both in length and in width.

rad0

Reaction score
Uh, that's what I was afraid of. What do you think I can do? Can I take it back or have the size reduced by a tailor? By the way, I would appreciate your giving other opinions about the suit jacket. I get a bit hesitant because some say the length is acceptable and others say it's too long (and/or wide). I'm totally confused already
frown.gif
(

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too long, too large. Take it back and exchange it for the size down.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, stand naturally and wear the kind of shoes you're going to wear with the suit in your fit pick. Unbutton the bottom button and don't buy black unless you're applying for a position as bouncer.

EDIT: Also, don't worry about leg length. You'll need to get them hemmed anyway.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Too long, too large. Take it back and exchange it for the size down.

+1. Return it if you can for a size smaller.

rad0

Reaction score
Thanks for all your frank opinions.

By the way, when I was trying the suit on, the shop assistant offered to have the suit trouser's size reduced by their in-house tailor (for free). I agreed and it was later when I realized the suit jacket might be too long. Do you think they will agree to exchange the suit when the trouser is not in its original size?

Thanks!

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rad0
Thanks for all your frank opinions.

By the way, when I was trying the suit on, the shop assistant offered to have the suit trouser's size reduced by their in-house tailor (for free). I agreed and it was later when I realized the suit jacket might be too long. Do you think they will agree to exchange the suit when the trouser is not in its original size?

Thanks!

Unlikely, unless it's the kind of place that does separates.

Wjleier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Also, stand naturally and wear the kind of shoes you're going to wear with the suit in your fit pick. Unbutton the bottom button and don't buy black unless you're applying for a position as bouncer.

EDIT: Also, don't worry about leg length. You'll need to get them hemmed anyway.

laugh.gif
Everything in bold is VERY true!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
one thing is for certain:

saleswoman is not amused.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
it's too long for sure, it's big in the shoulders, and it also appears to be pretty stiff. The collar is standing WAY off your neck because you're raising your arm - some of that is bound to happen but that's pretty extreme what i'm seeing there.

Anyways, not sure what you can do about that without buying a more expensive suit.

6up

Reaction score
Yeah...difficult to tell from the pic. +1 on standing up straight with good posture and try doing it infront of a 3 full length way mirror

Mithel

Reaction score
The picture isn't very easy to tell from, but yes, I also agree the suit doesn't look like it fits you very well. The shoulders look big, the sleeves look too long and it doesn't fit your body very well.... but again, that's all just first impressions from a less than ideal photo.

I have no problem at all with black, but it should fit well and it should be accessorized well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads