• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you tell rude sales staff off?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not proud of what I did, but I did it today for the first time.

I'll preface by saying though that this woman was possibly the most aggravating person I've ever come across. I'm sure we have all have come across a member of her species at least once in high-end departmental stores:

1. the 40-50 year old woman
2. who dresses is head-to-toe in black
3. has her grey hair cut really short
4. wears really funky glasses
5. has a serious Anna Wintour vibe going on

So there I am, trying on 2 pairs of $550 dollar shoes, and she has the gall to stand right in front of me (literally inches) as I try them on, arms crossed, lips pursed, and then... drops a snarky comment!!

I stopped, untied the laces, took the shoes off, looked up to her and said loudly: "Madam, as a salesperson, you should be trying to make a sale. I recommend you talk soon to someone who knows how to."

Then I walked out.

Anyone else done anything similar?
peepwall[1].gif

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was originally going to say the polite thing is to just take the shoes off and in this economy not give her the sale, but after reading the actual comment , I would find it hard for anyone to not be offended.

She was an idiot, and I am not sure any one could argue any different.

I actually think you were quite polite in your comment, I would of been worse. I do think that if this was a nicer store like a Saks or Neimans you should send a letter on your experience, there is no way someone like that is good for a business.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
yeah, that's very rude on her part.

I'd write to the management of the store, perhaps try to figure out her name is you haven't already. Several good things might happen:
1. She gets in trouble.
2. You get a small coupon (this happened to a friend of mine)
3. All of the above.

It's worth it.

or you can just stick this somewhere in her department:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 in telling a manager. You are actually doing the store a favour by providing feedback. They can then do something about it.

I told a guy the other day that by being rude he had blown the sale. I'm pretty sure that someone more senior is going to be calling to make a pitch, and I'll prob let them know what happened.

As a business owner, there is nothing more valuable than feedback both on what you are doing right and wrong.

K

ps - I cant stand those kinds of saleswomen in high end stores. I would rather wait a few minutes for someone who at least acts enthusiastic about helping me.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I'd probably have asked to talk to the manager but your comment seemed fair.

Ditto. I'm finally learning that speaking politely and calmly--and speaking to a manager--does way more good than getting pissed.

I think your response was perfectly fair. But I would have said it to her manager.

b

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Ditto. I'm finally learning that speaking politely and calmly--and speaking to a manager--does way more good than getting pissed. I think your response was perfectly fair. But I would have said it to her manager. b
+1, b. I would also probably after that write a letter to corporate management as well. I've definitely heard of sales associates at boutiques being unfriendly/reluctant to let you try on expensive wares because of snootiness, but I've never heard of one who was actually going out of her way to humiliate and belittle the customer WHILE they were trying on the item. That's just beyond the pale; I'm amazed this woman even still has a job (if she did it to the OP, certainly she's done it to others).

habitue

Reaction score
If helps of course, if you have friends at the Mafia. They can handle that problem in many ways...

CHITON

Reaction score
In which store that has happened?

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I even understand the point of her comment. I mean, it was clearly meant to be rude, but what was the implication - that the customer wasn't rich enough to buy $550 shoes on a whim? Because, you know, that's a ridiculous thing for a salesperson to ridicule someone about.

flatsixcrazy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
"Take your time. I suppose you've saved for them anyway."

ouch....

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
"Take your time. I suppose you've saved for them anyway."

Oh, come on. She tried to be charming (it implied that you are a young professional ... and everybody wants to be young) and you were hurt because of your missung self-assurdness.

You could have replied so many things to get satisfied.

By the way: are you hating old ladies which have to work for living?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That was not snarky, that was snippy. There is a fine line between snip and snark. We need to precise in these trying times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads