• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you tell rude sales staff off?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A few months ago, I was helping my buddy look for a shirt at Brooks Brothers on Madison Avenue. We were looking through the sale bin for something in his size. He found a shirt, tried it on, and it didn't fit. So, we went back to the bin to look for shirts a half-size larger. He picked up three shirts he liked and headed back to the dressing room. Before he makes it back there, an elderly male salesperson remarks to him: "You know, someone has to fold those."

Normally, I probably wouldn't bother, but feeling protective of my friend, I responded: "Then it's a good thing you're paid to do just that. We'll let you know if we need any further assistance."

Aside from Tom Davis, the made-to-measure shirt guy, that store is awful.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never initiate poor treatment of a salesperson, however OP probably reacted better than I would have. As far as the comments about tolerating this stupidity…no. WTF for? Maybe that store has a bad seed in this salesperson, but not letting management know just prolongs the problem for them as well and let’s assume they want to know this about their staff. On the other hand, if she does do this regularly, then I imagine her sales numbers would reflect it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
wow OP is very tolerant and calm. me, I would have made a scene, with many profanities, brought the head manager into the situation, and probably ended up shoving the shoe into the salesperson's chest with more profanities. but I'm a confrontational a-hole in real life.

rdawson is right about the world is what we make of it. self-policing your environment is necessary at times

habitue

Reaction score
Why not send the management of that store send a link to this thread? They will be happy...

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I happened to pop into the Brooks Brother's shop in Financial District this last weekend, curious to see if they had any of the clearance Chukka's there so I could see how they fit (they didn't have any) and not a single employee came up to me to ask if I needed any assistance. I thought this was odd as the store was not busy at all, about 8-10 other customers in the WHOLE PLACE. I wasn't dressed like some hooligan either, nice straight fit jeans, dark brown bluchers, wool v-neck sweater with a OCBD underneath, and a nice grey topcoat, scarf, cashmere lined leather gloves etc..... How do they expect to make any money when they don't even offer to help a potential customer?
eh.gif

It could be the fact that I'm only 23, tall and athletic and therefore they might have thought that I was merely wandering around lost while looking for the nearest J Crew and Banana Republic...HAH! I just highly doubt I'll be paying that location another visit anytime soon.
plain.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
It could be the fact that I'm only 23, tall and athletic and therefore they might have thought that I was merely wandering around lost while looking for the nearest J Crew and Banana Republic...HAH! I just highly doubt I'll be paying that location another visit anytime soon.
plain.gif

I think there's something to the age issue. I've had bad experiences at a lot of stores that people here rave about. Maybe I'm just a bad customer, but I feel like I get the up-turned nose / cold shoulder treatment the moment I walk into these places. I bet it's because we're young and encountering disbelief combined with resentment.

Of course, then there was the time a saleswoman at Paul Stuart in Chicago assumed I was a Japanese businessman. There was a moment of awkward silence after I told her I wasn't--then she asked me how I learned to speak English so well.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
wow OP is very tolerant and calm. me, I would have made a scene, with many profanities, brought the head manager into the situation, and probably ended up shoving the shoe into the salesperson's chest with more profanities. but I'm a confrontational a-hole in real life.

rdawson is right about the world is what we make of it. self-policing your environment is necessary at times

LOL, over something like that?!

Either she sucks and everyone knows it, or she is just having a bad day. Getting out and buying some shoes is supposed to be fun, so why let her ruin it for you? If you really want the shoes, politely ask to speak to another salesperson. If not, just leave. If you let her know she got to you then you've allowed her to accomplish what she set out to do. I save my confrontational moments for when I actually have something at stake.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I've had bad experiences at a lot of stores that people here rave about. Maybe I'm just a bad customer, but I feel like I get the up-turned nose / cold shoulder treatment the moment I walk into these places. I bet it's because we're young and encountering disbelief combined with resentment.

Wow, I'm shocked since you come off as such a friendly and easy-going guy online.
laugh.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
LOL, over something like that?!

ha yea, rude/bad service (mediocre or no service I can live with) is one of my huge pet peeves.

but most of the time I get into confrontations with other customers who are being unreasonable and throwing a tantrum with the staff....4x at the post office in the last 2 months already
boxing[1].gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
Wow, I'm shocked since you come off as such a friendly and easy-going guy online.
laugh.gif

I consider myself friendly, but not all that easy-going. At least, not as an online personality. And as Dopey surmises, I don't really have a real-life form.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

I hope you and I never cross paths when we're both having bad days. It could get ugly.
angry.gif

b

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I consider myself friendly, but not all that easy-going. At least, not as an online personality. And as Dopey surmises, I don't really have a real-life form.

Maybe you should smile more.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't remember any salesperson ever being rude to me. I am a very friendly guy
smile.gif

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
No, I wasn't joking. But is it really his problem that other people are stupid (and there are so many of them outthere)? And is it useful to blame stupid people for being stupid?!

So get over it, get your beloved new shoes and enjoy your day!

His problem is/ was, that it was impossible for him to get over his feeling and to change the situation into his advantage. To react like a three year old girl is no solution!

I agree with your original statement and defense of it. The OP let his ego get in the way of getting shoes he wanted. So the saleswoman did not fawn all over him, get over it. I have been treated rudely or condescendingly or just outright ignored, but I am not going to let someone else dictate my enjoyment.

I use to commonly get "Maybe you should come back when we have a sale", to which I ask if they have one coming up and if not then its too bad because I need to purchase the item in the next few days. I don't get my knickers in a twist because of what some random person thinks of my purchasing power.

If it were the owner, I may choose to shop elsewhere, but a saleswoman, hardly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics